Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best bang for buck gun safe

Let’s hear what you think is best safe for the price. Thanks in advance.
    Praying for a Cure

Depends on the price and how big you want. I got a Redhead 24 gun safe for under a grand that I’m happy with. I will say that when buying a safe, get one that states it holds more guns than you have. If you have 12 long guns, get at least a 20.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Thank you. If the combination is electronic and battery dies, how do you get in?
    Praying for a Cure

4. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I have a Redhead model as well and am pleased with it based on price/value. Mine is combination dial access... no electric panel.

And heed the advice given by berudd... purchase a unit larger than you think you need as you'll find things besides firearms that you'll want to store there.
    Who controls John Gill?

5. Member
    Thank you. I will need to look close because I apparently was told faulty info. I was told they only make electronic combinations now. Thanks for the info on dial access. I think I would trust those most.
    Praying for a Cure

6. Member

USA

There are actually some companies that make a safe with an electronic / manual lock combination so you don't have to worry about a battery going dead or an EMP.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    Thank you. If the combination is electronic and battery dies, how do you get in?
    I don't have a big safe, but my quick access safe has finger pads / combination run by battery. It also has a separate key in case the battery's die.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

8. Banned
    My electronic lock has an actual key for it behind the pad if your battery dies.

If battery dies you can lift the panel on a Redhead and install new 9v battery.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Praying for a Cure

Stack-On Elite series is pretty decent for the money.

12. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cd4th View Post
    Stack-On Elite series is pretty decent for the money.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have 12 rifles and got a 40 gun safe LOL. I store other papers and pistols in it too.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    Thank you. I will need to look close because I apparently was told faulty info. I was told they only make electronic combinations now. Thanks for the info on dial access. I think I would trust those most.
    I'm in the market for one myself because my current one is crowded.

Word of advice is if you are getting one less than 200lbs, bolt it down. My brother moved to the ghetto and had his whole entire safe stolen (if basically a cheap metal locker with a lock which wasn't bolted down) some people say to bolt down the 1000lb ones as well, but unless you intend for "oceans 14" to take place at your home, i wouldn't hassle with it.

Second word of advice is to be cautious with the electric combos. I knew someone who had his kid/wife/someone try taking out the 9v battery for something and it ripped the wires out. He had to cut it open. Extremely avoidable, and probably an easier way for him to have reopened it, but he was pretty pissed.

Personally, I'm going with a normal mechanical dial. Less to worry about.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

14. Member

USA

I would also bolt down a 1000 lb. safe. There are videos that show gun safes that are tipped over on their side on the floor. Then they use big pri-bars to get into it. It is harder to get into when it is standing upright.

15. Member
    TSC has a Cannon 40 gun safe on sale for $650. 45 min fire protection. Seems like a decent deal.

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    I would also bolt down a 1000 lb. safe. There are videos that show gun safes that are tipped over on their side on the floor. Then they use big pri-bars to get into it. It is harder to get into when it is standing upright.
    I welded 1/4 plate around my door frame for that very reason. The steel around the doors is too thin. To save money and weight.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Depends on if you want a safe to keep honest folks out or to protect your belongings.

Most big box store safes will only keep out kids and smash and grab thief’s, a real burglar can get in them in 15 min or less!

I suggest you talk to a safe company and compare. They might be 3K but they will last a lifetime and if you have more than a few guns it’s cheap insurance.

18. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Liberty safes are a good value for residences.

Just be aware that residential safes will keep honest people honest...a thief with a battery operated cut-off tool can cut the side out of one in just a few minutes and empty the contents. Don't get caught up in the fire protection. If you have a house fire that destroys the contents, it most likely will damage what's in the safe.

There are safes that thieves can't cut through easily, and do offer superior fire protection, but they are BIG $$$.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I have both dial and electronic safes. The big one is a custom built and electronic. Get the absolute biggest safe you can afford. You will wind up putting more than guns in it.

Has anybody got a Steelwater Safe they look like a good bang for the buck.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast