Looking for a new frog rod..need help

Hey all
    I'm sure this topic has been beat up but my search didn't come back with much so was hoping for some help from some experienced folks from across the states. Last spring my Daiwa light and tough frog rod bit the dust finally after hundreds of hours of abuse and fish. Ever since i've been struggling to replace this $100 low end rod? I've tried Gloomis, kistler, ducket and even fitzgerald and can't seem to get the right feel and effortless walking action that the Daiwa gave me? I throw only the Spro bronzeyes as I have found nothing over the years that would be worth changing to. The closest i've come to replacing the old daiwa was my 7'6 KLX with the moderate tip, but after a few hours just a bit too heavy and wears you down. Here's what i've noticed. I can downsize to a medium action and skip effortless but then not enough power. Then upsize to heavy with xfast tip and just lose some of that touch, accuracy, and skipping ability and can never get that walking rythymn just right? I know the right rod is out there somewhere so was hoping someone would understand my experience and be able to advise. I did see that Daiwa came back out with a cheap replacement for the L&T but before i give it a try was hoping to find something maybe a step above in quality if that makes sense..possibly to get a few more years out of it.
    thank you all for your feedback!

2. Member
    Daiwa Tatula 7'2" or 7'4" Frog Rod. Can be found for around $120 or less.
    Guy just had one for sale in Buy/Sell forums for like $90 the other day
    Great frog rod!

3. Member
    I Just picked up a shimano expride 7'2" H with MF tip. I haven't used it yet, but it was 1 of few that I found with a MF tip. May want to look into that if you're looking for a softer tip

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    I Just picked up a shimano expride 7'2" H with MF tip. I haven't used it yet, but it was 1 of few that I found with a MF tip. May want to look into that if you're looking for a softer tip
    Thanks guys! I tried a fitzgerald about the same specs and the MF tip wasn't just right to walk with...perhaps i just need to learn a new motion after hundreds of hours with the same equipment?

5. Member
    Dobyns savy 735. Its got nice backbone but its not a broomstick like most frog rods. You can find them used on dobyns site for around 100 bucks.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

6. Member
    I haven't tried one myself but the write ups would suggest that the ALX Toadface was designed to exactly address the balance that you are looking for. I intend try this and a couple of other ALX's this season to see if the hype is real.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bconger4 View Post
    Daiwa Tatula 7'2" or 7'4" Frog Rod. Can be found for around $120 or less.
    Guy just had one for sale in Buy/Sell forums for like $90 the other day
    Great frog rod!
    This! These rods are amazing frog rods!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I haven't tried one myself but the write ups would suggest that the ALX Toadface was designed to exactly address the balance that you are looking for. I intend try this and a couple of other ALX's this season to see if the hype is real.
    I have...it is...you wont be sorry.

9. Member
    ALX toadface hands down is the best frog rod on the market.

10. Member
    Thanks all! i'll give them all a shot...definitely worth a try. Not much knowledge of the toadface but sounds promising.

11. Member
    Another vote for the Tatula frog rod. Also makes great ARig rod.

12. Member
    Okuma TCS 7'3" heavy. Youtube/google/etc. reviews. you will see...and you can google it for like $100
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

13. Member
    Since no one said it .... MB Orochi XX Perfect Pitch. The new models will be out in 2 weeks.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I have the Toadface and you won't be disappointed with this rod.

15. Member
    Looks like the toadface votes have it! Placing tackle warehouse order today I think $209. Thankfully the TW return policy is second to none, but eventually i'm going to keep something. Thanks to everyone for your feedback!

16. Member
    Best I've used.