dying hair for jigs

A guy gave me i bunch of natural deer tails has anyone ever tried to dye it, if so what did you guy use

2. Member
    I've had limited success with Ritz die from the grocery store.

3. Member
    Rit clothing dye, just follow the instructions on the bottle.

4. Member
    great i have something to do this weekend in the rain

5. Member
    Some colors I had to soak longer than called for or they turned out very light.

6. Member
    Can not find a bright Chart color would hair dye work?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    Can not find a bright Chart color would hair dye work?
    If you go the Rit dye website, look under products and you will find one called proline. That is a powder dye but works on wider range of material and they have more colors, the color you want is called neon yellow. A few years back there was a seller on ebay that was using that to dye bucktails, it costs a little more but it is supposed to be better than the standard clothing dye.

Some info here might help. Gotta read down the threads to get to the tails. I've done squirrel tails with hair dye and they came out OK. Never did my own deer tails.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...aid-dying.html

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...acid-dyes.html

9. Member
    Is there anything that can dye black bear hair to brown or green pumkin?

Allen

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    Is there anything that can dye black bear hair to brown or green pumkin?

Allen
    I don't think there is any way to dye black hair. I know you can get brown bear hair or black, the brown is hard to find but I never saw any other colors leading me to believe it isn't possible.

I did a little looking and it seems that the commercial hair lighteners that bottle blonds use works on deer, bear, and others. Doesn't get them to a plain white, but enough to dye.

(When I went to the store to get colored hair dye for my squirrel tails the girl said she wasn't sure if the stuff was safe for animals. I told her, "Not a problem, they're already dead." She backed away and I thought she was going to call the cops.)

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ou-tie-if.html

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I did a little looking and it seems that the commercial hair lighteners that bottle blonds use works on deer, bear, and others. Doesn't get them to a plain white, but enough to dye.

(When I went to the store to get colored hair dye for my squirrel tails the girl said she wasn't sure if the stuff was safe for animals. I told her, "Not a problem, they're already dead." She backed away and I thought she was going to call the cops.)

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ou-tie-if.html
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    little bit of an update tried the cool aid deal and ended up with a very light green/blue