Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question SHO Problems starting

i have a 2012 225 SHO. It starts fine on a cold start when i get to the landing. The problem occurs after make a run and then stop to fish for a while. When i go to crank the motor back up it turns over but doesnt want to start. The weird part is that if i trim the motor up almost to the point of letting the cavitation plate come out of the water it fires right up ?

Just wondering if any other guys have had or heard of anyone having this problem that may have a solution?

Thanks

2. Banned
    Haven't heard of this sort of problem but it souds as if the float or the needle is sticking in the vst.

3. Member
    On all Yamaha v-engines there is a part called a vapor shutoff valve or vsv. That valve has a plunger in it that doesn't allow fuel vapors to get into the intake manifold after the motor is hot and shut off. In your case that part has failed and your plunger is not closing and the vapors are getting in and causing the hard start. Replace the vsv and prob should be fixed

4. Banned
    Brandon, thanks for providing your expertise on this forum. We definitely need someone who has a working knowledge with these engines. btw, where is the vsv located on this engine?

5. Member
    Thanks guys. Where is the VSV on these engines ?

6. Member

7. Member
    No prob guys always happy to help.

8. Member
    Sry I didn't have a motor I could take a pic on earlier.

9. Banned
    that right there is top notch support!
    Thanks

10. Member
    No prob, glad I can help!

11. Member
    Appreciate all the help guys, will post the results after I get the new one on. I should be getting one this week.

12. Member
    Reporting back, installed the new VSV and still having the same problems. Any other help is appreciated....

I did see Tablerockslinger had the same problem and PM'ed him a while back with no response. If anyone knows him please tell him i sent him a message.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Brandon, thanks for providing your expertise on this forum. We definitely need someone who has a working knowledge with these engines. btw, where is the vsv located on this engine?
    +1 Always appreciate learning more about these engines! Thanks Brandon
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

14. Member
    That didn't fix the prob? K well I'm gonna be honest I'm really surprised and not for sure where to go. Everytime I've seen this issue that's what it's been. I'm sry I can't be of more help since I can't actually see the boat in person. Let me do some more digging tomorrow and I'll get back with you. BTW I never got a message cdrageaux. Pm again if you would like. No prob guys, always here to help or atleast try

15. Member
    It might be the neutral sensor switch on the throttle linkage.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Stratos View Post
    It might be the neutral sensor switch on the throttle linkage.
    I would be surprised since Yamaha electronics hardly ever fail, It sounded like it should of been the vsv.... I would recommend running the motor on a seperate fuel tank to see if its a boat or motor problem.

I was talking to a Yamaha repair guy at the Classic last weekend.....Check your fuel line in the rear compartment. If the bulb & a section of hose is laying below the level of the fuel tank, i.e. in the bottom of the compartment, apparently it can create a vapor locking situation on hot starts. Not 100% sure I'm relaying all info correctly, but check hose location & reroute above tank level, if necessary & see if that helps.
    Andy Cole
    2018 Skeeter FX21LE
    250 SHO VF250LA s/n 6CBL1017034

18. Member
    K well I've done some looking and talking and unfortunately I don't have any good news. Since I can't be where the boat is I dunno what else it could be. Everything I've looked at and everyone I've talked to all say the vsv. I hope u find the prob and when u do please update me so I have this for future reference.

19. Member
    Alright I've got some new info for ya! I'm in Georgia again at Yamaha and talked to the v-engine trainer today and think we have this figured out for ya. This is gonna be a long past so bare with me, sry. We think your prob is def vapor lock but just to be 100% let's do a test. Next time you take the boat out, make your first run like normal and when you stop to fish take the cowling off the motor. This allows the motor to cool more and if it starts up pretty easy than you've got a vapor lock prob. With your cowling on it's keeping the motor hot and causing the vapor lock. Assuming that it is vapor locking like we think than the the place to go is to the carbon canister and the vent lines coming to it from the vst and going off the canister. I'll post some pics at the end to show you the canister and vent but they are all gray lines with a red strip on them. Canister is at the rear of motor down under powerhead. They've seen probs where the vent line got clogged by dirt causing this prob. If it's not clogged than you need to check those gray lines for fuel in them. If fuel is present than your float in your vst has moved and is set to high causing the vapor lock. In that case the float needs adjusted(lowered) and you need to check the carbon canister to make sure no fuel has got in it and if so than it needs replaced. Hopefully this helps and the prob will be fixed! Sry so long but update me and we'll get this taken care of.

20. Member
    that is your vent line and black canister behind it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast