Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Do you share a transducer to prevent cross-talk?
    I'm not finished with my installation yet Wayne, but I'm "assuming" I'll end up with a similar setup as I had.
    2D thru hull for the console unit and a puck on the troll motor. And yes, they did interfere with each other every now and then.

Now, the console unit will have the same 2d thru hull(Lowrance) along with the SI Xducer and the bow unit will be off the MDI troll motor puck.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IceNitro View Post
    Do you have one skid?
    I have a 12" Solix. After using Garmin 7 and 9" units in prior years, the Solix is shockingly good. I've seen too many people screw things up, and have no clue, but lots of blame for others. I see a lot of that in these threads. It angers me. Oh-wait! :D

3. Member
    I don’t know if this is the exact same problem everyone is having but tonight I was out and every time I ran the tm my helix 10’s depth would bounce around. The temp started reading wrong too. I’m wondering if it’s the transducer.

Quote Originally Posted by plugchucker24 View Post
    I don’t know if this is the exact same problem everyone is having but tonight I was out and every time I ran the tm my helix 10’s depth would bounce around. The temp started reading wrong too. I’m wondering if it’s the transducer.
    What you are seeing is interference. Best place to start with troubleshooting and resolving that is to give Humminbird customer service a call.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

5. Member
    Just to add info for possible bandaids ...

My cousin's HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI G2N was having the same erratic digital depth issues as noted in many forums ...

With 2d CHIRP shut off (under the Setup tab) and now only using 200kHz fixed frequency - digital depth seems to be very stable and matches 2d bottom detail depth ...
    -----

I do agree it's frustrating that the unit's designed features cannot simply be used as advertised ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 06-01-2018 at 11:25 PM.

6. Banned
    No need to disable chirp just 83khz

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    What you are seeing is interference. Best place to start with troubleshooting and resolving that is to give Humminbird customer service a call.
    Rnvinc

Thanks, I’ll turn off 2d chirp and see how it works. Getting acurate depth is more important than CHIRP for me. Humminbird chirp displayed was never as sharp as I expected anyways. Not compared to most of the main competitors anyways (Garmin, Lowrance). Its weird actually, we have this great screen resolution and it seems like it goes pretty much wasted as far a displaying a nice 2d image on the screen. It seems like ping speed is very slow compared to competitors.
    Last edited by Tugger; 06-02-2018 at 06:42 AM.

8. Member
    I called HB this week to discuss depth readout issue. Both sides of the conversation was cordial. The person I talked to said what most guys who want to patch over issue say ; "Chirp off , surface clutter to 7 or more , sonar med 83khz , digital depth to auto". I told her I don't like running surface clutter at 7 or more ; nor do I like running in auto depth. She hedged when asked if HB was aware of the issue. When asked if there was a update coming to address the issue she said "not that I know of". Eventually she said chirp was for deep water so I asked her what is deep ; she said "100 feet or more". When I asked her why some of HB's own videos show chirp being used in 9, 27 and 49 feet she didn't have an answer. The call ended with pleasantries.

9. Banned
    the Info on the best adjustments are all over this forum. The info she gave you is all incorrect. I run 200khz chirp, auto depth and everything else on default on the bow with no issues. On the console the only difference is I use 200/83. Also with no issues. Chirp is valuable in anything over 10 feet but I leave it on even in shallower water. That’s not much of the time though
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 06-02-2018 at 04:26 PM.

10. Member
    I fish shallow most of the year 15 ft or less with a very hard bottom . I have done it w/wo chirp no difference and run surface clutter down to 2 with no issue. Turn down 2d sensitivity and running 200 only is what has worked the best for me . Now I can get down to the point of hopping out and walking. Lol and the depth stays steady. Here again a SUPER HARD bottom

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    the Info on the best adjustments are all over this forum. The info she gave you is all incorrect. I run 200khz chirp, auto depth and everything else on default on the bow with no issues. On the console the only difference is I use 200/83. Also with no issues. Chirp is valuable in anything over 10 feet but I leave it on even in shallower water. That’s not much of the time though
    No offense but it's great to know your not having issues but since day one my Helix 12 has had this issue along with the gps losing the signal over and over. None of the settings you or others have suggested have helped. I never had this issue with my old Helix 10 either. It's frustrating to pay a lot of money for a unit you think is an update from an old unit and are told to not use features you paid for. This is a Humminbird problem and they need to recognize this and fix it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

12. Banned
    the gps issues suggest a power, install, gps puck or unit issue. they are not related
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 06-04-2018 at 07:19 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    the gps issues suggest a power, install, gps puck or unit issue. they are not related
    Thanks, I understand all that. Both of my units have the power connected directly to the battery, they are internal GPS and both my Helix 10 at the console and Helix 12 at the bow do this so don't think it's a unit issue. If this continues to be an issue I will call HB support.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Thanks, I understand all that. Both of my units have the power connected directly to the battery, they are internal GPS and both my Helix 10 at the console and Helix 12 at the bow do this so don't think it's a unit issue. If this continues to be an issue I will call HB support.
    Exactly what is the power connection between the unit power cord and battery---all the parts/wire size?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

.....and what does your unit indicate it is getting for voltage ....

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

16. Member
    I posted on same subject close to 3 weeks ago. Very disappointed in new Helix 9 Mega Chirp Side Imaging unit. I'm seeing double and triple echos, have set max depth to 5Foot deeper than deepest point in lake. Depth readings come in handier for picking lottery numbers than giving me anything close to what REAL depth is.
    Today we contacted HB Canada and got a reply from George, I believe to resolve the problem. Answer not really what I wanted to hear. Install another transducer to give you 2D readings at speed for depth. Last week my unit crapped right out with NO image in 2D visible at all, just faded colours overall, no bottom. I was told to purchase a certain y cable to hook both transducers into unit and run the old XNT 9 20 as my 2D transducer minus chirp technology which I paid for. Do you feel there is grounds for a law suit?
    Is Humminbird taking 2 steps forward and then falling back 7 steps. I have had plenty of Birds over my 20 years fishing and this is the worst I have ever seen and for a lot more moola.
    I do have to say my DI on this SI unit is very good in all 3 powers and at speed now keeps me focused on bottom better. My SI keeps good readings on depth and good images coming in. My reply from George may just be the answer. Hopefully, waiting to install this weekend.

17. Member
    As long as we keep buying " the latest greatest " expensive equipment. Humminbird has no reason to change. Humminbird has great marketing skills. Unfortunately their engineering department cannot release an MFD that is bug free. Minor bugs are understandable. Not being able to read the correct depth ??????. They have also cut down on the frequency of their updates.

Eventually consumers will quit spending thousands of dollars on technology that does not work properly. Humminbird's answer right now is to cut their warranty from 2 years to 1 year. So on their top of the line units. What happens at the end of the year's warranty and the thing still isn't working right ?
    To me it seems they want to be able to charge for repairing their design flaws. How long were they messing with the Onix units before they became somewhat reliable ?
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

18. Banned
    Your max depth is set to 5 foot which is deeper than the deepest point of the lake? You don’t need a fish finder. You don’t even need a boat lol. Just buy some waders. In 5 foot you’re seeing a very small circle of bottom.

19. Member
    Troyboy, read my thread again, 5 feet DEEPER than deepest point on lake.

20. Banned
    shew. i was fixing to say

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast