Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Have you tried setting depth manually and turning off chirp?

2. Member
    I have been fighting this and it sucks . With a lot of trial and error this is what I have found

main menu max depth 35ft (water I fish 0-28 ft average 8–18 ft)
    chirp on or off (no difference )
    2-D 200(narrow) frequency only 83 (wide) will make it jump like mad!no matter the combo or the sens. Offset
    2-D In the express menu I run my top range 0-3 ft and my bottom range 10 ft deeper than I’m fishing
    2-D sensitivity at 4-8
    Switch fire set to clear

the lake I fish is about 28 ft deep small electric motors only. The bottom
    ranges from compacted clay to muck and riprap thrown in for good measures.
    This last weekend was my first run with the new settings and it has seemed
    to do the trick for me so far fingers crossed:-) On s side note I now get
    the hardness mapping and how to use the settings

set up
    14 ft mod v Jon
    1-helix 10 si mega g2n transom mount
    360 as360tm
    Last edited by Wallace; 03-19-2018 at 09:35 PM.

3. Member
    I have the exact same issue with a helix 9 SI gen II. perfectly calm, trolling motor on 2 yesterday in 14 fow, max depth changes from 20 to 30 to 40 and back constantly, the digital readout also bounces around 14 then 26, then 16. PIA, For canada musky fishing where you have steep drops and you get in as close as you can at times without hitting trolling motor, this thing is completely useless.
    I called Hbird yesterday to see if there was anything I could do and she told me no, its a known issue and there is no plan to fix it. I said then you should advertise that its not a shallow water unit. I have an older 898 that works perfectly, and its going back on my boat!

4. Member
    A trained CS person would never say that regardless if it were true. If you got her name call back and let someone know. Bob

"I called Hbird yesterday to see if there was anything I could do and she told me no, its a known issue and there is no plan to fix it."

I am seriously questioning that response as well .... I would request a supervisor if given that response.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    "I called Hbird yesterday to see if there was anything I could do and she told me no, its a known issue and there is no plan to fix it."

I am seriously questioning that response as well .... I would request a supervisor if given that response.
    I think it's more likely there was no call made. Just a bored new poster.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    I think it's more likely there was no call made. Just a bored new poster.
    Why are you discounting people legitimate issues? We spent big bucks on this stuff and expect it to work. We aren't asking for anything unreasonable, or anything we wouldn't expect from Lowrance or another manufacturer. Yeah you have to mess with a few settings to dial them in, but the problems are way beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Why are you discounting people legitimate issues? We spent big bucks on this stuff and expect it to work. We aren't asking for anything unreasonable, or anything we wouldn't expect from Lowrance or another manufacturer. Yeah you have to mess with a few settings to dial them in, but the problems are way beyond that.
    I think what we are questioning is whether or not the customer service rep told someone..... its a known problem and we don't have any plans to fix it.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

9. Member
    theres always at least one on every board... nope not just a bored new poster, just googled the issues and ended up here after my disbelief at hearing the response I got. The person sitting right next to me in my boat heard the same thing as I was on speaker phone. To be honest I have had misinformation before from the operators when I call in. "Some are not very familiar with the units". I have always gotten more accurate info through email.

After the response I got on the phone I emailed cust service to ask if what she told me was correct. Today i got a response "Thank you for contacting Humminbird Customer Service. They are working on a software update to fix this issue one has not been released yet."

Well this could be true, but my guess is after looking at these boards, since its been a known issue for years that its probably just lip service and a fix will never happen. Hope I'm wrong.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archerj View Post
    theres always at least one on every board... nope not just a bored new poster, just googled the issues and ended up here after my disbelief at hearing the response I got. The person sitting right next to me in my boat heard the same thing as I was on speaker phone. To be honest I have had misinformation before from the operators when I call in. "Some are not very familiar with the units". I have always gotten more accurate info through email.

After the response I got on the phone I emailed cust service to ask if what she told me was correct. Today i got a response "Thank you for contacting Humminbird Customer Service. They are working on a software update to fix this issue one has not been released yet."

Well this could be true, but my guess is after looking at these boards, since its been a known issue for years that its probably just lip service and a fix will never happen. Hope I'm wrong.

That's exactly what I said in one of my threads...................................it has been a problem for years according to extensive google search.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    That's exactly what I said in one of my threads...................................it has been a problem for years according to extensive google search.

This is just a example, one of 50 or more threads I have been reading over the last month (its only 5 years old)................................

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums.../t-228033.html

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    I think what we are questioning is whether or not the customer service rep told someone..... its a known problem and we don't have any plans to fix it.
    Correct. Guys, there's trolls and other types of posters who just like to mess things up. It's not bad to *sometimes* be a skeptic...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    This is just a example, one of 50 or more threads I have been reading over the last month (its only 5 years old)................................

And they new the solution back then, too:
    "LWinches
    04-28-2013, 08:06 PM

There is nothing wrong with your unit. What you are seeing is the 2nd and 3rd echo. The ping returning from the bottom bounces off the surface of the water and makes the trip to the bottom and back a 2nd and 3rd time. Some people like this and want their units to operate this way. They know more than I do to be able to interpret the 2nd and 3rd echo.

I don't know about your unit but some units (Vexilar) have a menu setting for whether or not to show the 2nd and 3rd echo. Look for that option. You'll have to turn on advanced mode to find it, if it's there. Otherwise turn your sensitivity down. You can also get rid of it by manually setting the depth."

14. Member

I encourage everyone to actually *read* that link.

15. Member
    skidoo, you are not paying attention! Just because you have egg on your face from your first smarty pants reply to my post, give it up your last post has nothing to do with the issue being discussed. I have been using sonar since the lowrance paper graph days, I know how its supposed to work. I don't care if there are ten echoes, when your display bounces around to all different max bottom depths and the digital depth reading fluctuates all over the place it renders the sonar basically useless when getting in close to shallow structure that can damage your prop. And to say that you need second echoes to determine bottom hardness is dumb too. My 898, would easily show different bottom densities with variations in color just like its supposed to! It would even show the hard rocks going down under the mud. Another thing this chirp thingy won't do nearly as good!

16. Member
    I've had my unit changed out three times and spent two hours on the phone with a field rep. This was in January. I honestly don't think they knew they had an issue then. I've sent screen shots of ever discussion on here and Facebook in hopes they would understand the severity. This issue always starts at shallow to deeper depths. If you go from 6 to 9 ft it starts at 8.5. Then again at 14 or 15. What's stupid is at 8.5 the unit switched to max bottom to 20. Well that mean I have a 9inch unit and am only graphing 3.5 inches. The rest of the screen is wasted. One other note, join the hummingbird Facebook group, it's all over the place there. Power in numbers. The more this is posted the greater chance they fix. One guy said he went to BPS and the tech there said he told 15 people to return there units in the last week.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tv40m View Post
    I've had my unit changed out three times and spent two hours on the phone with a field rep. This was in January. I honestly don't think they knew they had an issue then. I've sent screen shots of ever discussion on here and Facebook in hopes they would understand the severity. This issue always starts at shallow to deeper depths. If you go from 6 to 9 ft it starts at 8.5. Then again at 14 or 15. What's stupid is at 8.5 the unit switched to max bottom to 20. Well that mean I have a 9inch unit and am only graphing 3.5 inches. The rest of the screen is wasted. One other note, join the hummingbird Facebook group, it's all over the place there. Power in numbers. The more this is posted the greater chance they fix. One guy said he went to BPS and the tech there said he told 15 people to return there units in the last week.

Mine are both going back tomorrow if they are still acting up after one last day on the water.. so frustrating. Lowrance here I come. FYI.. Its still rebate time at Lowrance so that helps a little.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger1107 View Post
    I’ve got the same setup and have the issues you described. Tried messing with the settings and hadn’t had any luck. Defiantly interested in what HB advises.
    can you post pic of what you did?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archerj View Post
    skidoo, you are not paying attention! Just because you have egg on your face from your first smarty pants reply to my post, give it up your last post has nothing to do with the issue being discussed. I have been using sonar since the lowrance paper graph days, I know how its supposed to work. I don't care if there are ten echoes, when your display bounces around to all different max bottom depths and the digital depth reading fluctuates all over the place it renders the sonar basically useless when getting in close to shallow structure that can damage your prop. And to say that you need second echoes to determine bottom hardness is dumb too. My 898, would easily show different bottom densities with variations in color just like its supposed to! It would even show the hard rocks going down under the mud. Another thing this chirp thingy won't do nearly as good!
    I'm actually not expending useless effort tracking what you are writing, as you can't even have the decency to quote.

You referred to an old post on multiple echos, and when I actually *read* the whole thread, there was the OP questioning multiple echos, and about a dozen replies all telling him it was normal. Not anywhere near what your post here implied.

And your reading comprehension is near zero. I never said "And to say that you need second echoes to determine bottom hardness is dumb too." I said that second/third echos offered *more detail* in bottom hardness than just a palette of 8 or 16 colors.

I get it- you're bored, tipsy, don't want to work, whatever. Just try a little harder to make it interesting for me, too.

20. Member
    I had this exact depth issue, it's rf interference. Run wire from battery negative to trolling motor. Please try it and report back.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast