PVS Hole Plug Location Question on my 300

This has probably been asked or discussed here several times but for the sake of time, I'll ask my Allison brothers and see if you can give a good reason for why and how. Saturday I ran a new prop on my new Bassport. 29 Hydromotive Quad IV XOB. I had 4 of the 8 pvs holes plugged. The holes I had plugged were the forward or holes closest to the boat on the prop. This was the first time to run this prop with an absolute max load. There almost was no hole shot. RPM's at WOT was 2K. It was pitiful. After several long seconds (about 30 guessing) the rpm's slowly would rise and it would finally break over and get on plane. I pulled the boat out and removed all the plugs. After that the cavitation and spinout was so bad it was about as bad as before on hole shot only the RPM's was peaking up and down from 4K to 4,500K. I put it back on the trailer and put 2 plugs back in. The hole shot was better after putting 2 plugs in but it still spun out and did not want to break over well at all. I'm planning on adding a 3rd plug and after talking to Tim Powell I may carry a drill and drill a hole in one or more plugs to see what happens. Any thoughts or opinions based on fact, experience and not speculation? I've run Bravo 1's, Pro ET's, and my 27 Hydro and all did pretty well on hole shot, albeit no where near as loaded as now. Would moving the plugs to the back holes matter very much? I've run a lot of props over the years on my 3 Bassport's and never seen anything like this. But, I have been told the 300's don't have nearly as good a hole shot due to the exhaust gas porting difference.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    JM, I have the same boat, motor and gears but no poles. I carry a lot of stuff. I run a 28P XOB and i have experimented with plugs in various locations of varying vent holes and have settled on 2 solid PVS plugs opposite each other on the OUTER holes not the ones closest to the gearcase. Results there are what you have experienced.

Now, I know a 29 XOB is supposed to be the prop for this setup but I will beg to differ on certain circumstances. Try what I just suggested. I bet you may end up having to use a plug or maybe two with a small hole to start and go up from there based on the fact you are running power poles.

Mine does not over rev nor lug out of the hole when i stomp it.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    Tall props and XOB are temperamental with the pvs plugs. You will need a mixture of full and medium plugs

Not to be a smartass ..... But welcome to my world.. Have always fought hole shot issues from excessive weight and ELEVATION. Those who have never dealt with it can't understand why it's so different.
    I believe those who say the 250 has a better holeshot as I have witnessed it. That's why I now have the 1.75 gears.
    Don't know if it will help.. But I was struggling with a bravo trying to get on plane. After many PVS combinations I wound up with the front holes plugged solid and I believe 1/4" holes in all 4 back plugs. For some reason having a little vent at each blade was the best combo.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    JM, I have the same boat, motor and gears but no poles. I carry a lot of stuff. I run a 28P XOB and i have experimented with plugs in various locations of varying vent holes and have settled on 2 solid PVS plugs opposite each other on the OUTER holes not the ones closest to the gearcase. Results there are what you have experienced.

Now, I know a 29 XOB is supposed to be the prop for this setup but I will beg to differ on certain circumstances. Try what I just suggested. I bet you may end up having to use a plug or maybe two with a small hole to start and go up from there based on the fact you are running power poles.

Mine does not over rev nor lug out of the hole when i stomp it.
    For sure this one has me scratching my head. I will try what you recommend as it won’t cost me anything but a little time and a plug or two. I think the 27 Hydro will be my go to fishing prop unless I pick up a 28. I have Woody’s 29 in hand to try this weekend too. I’m anxious to see how it compares to mine. Thanks Brother.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Not to be a smartass ..... But welcome to my world.. Have always fought hole shot issues from excessive weight and ELEVATION. Those who have never dealt with it can't understand why it's so different.
    I believe those who say the 250 has a better holeshot as I have witnessed it. That's why I now have the 1.75 gears.
    Don't know if it will help.. But I was struggling with a bravo trying to get on plane. After many PVS combinations I wound up with the front holes plugged solid and I believe 1/4" holes in all 4 back plugs. For some reason having a little vent at each blade was the best combo.
    I had zero issues with both my other boats getting out of the hole. Both of course had 250 motors too. I saw that and lived it first hand. The lip on this boat combined with the poles and lithium batteries is making it a challenge getting the combo right. I’ll be picking up some more pvs plugs and having a little fun trying some combo’s out. Thanks Brother.

7. Member
    Was your 29 xob built for your boat or just some random xob?

I am trying to figure out my 28 XOB with 1.62 gears. Not a fun holeshot last time I used it but to be fair it has been over a year since have experimented with it since my 26 bravo xs is so awesome.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

8. Member
    The hydromotive I had on my boat was best with 4 large hole plugs in the outer holes and all open on the ones closest to the gear case. 31 XOB. 21 BSP 300 1.75 gears with poles. Never got it where I was happy with it.

9. Member
    All the Bravo's and Hydro xob's I have owned and my current 28 and 30 q4xob's I ended up opening 4 holes to slots 1"x 1.125" leaving the other 4 pvs holes and cut the barrel 1/4" on the bravo's and removing the 3/4" flare ring on the hydro's to eliminate the surge during hole shot. They do spool up to 5000+ rpm but don't surge and do go.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    Was your 29 xob built for your boat or just some random xob?

I am trying to figure out my 28 XOB with 1.62 gears. Not a fun holeshot last time I used it but to be fair it has been over a year since have experimented with it since my 26 bravo xs is so awesome.
    It was random built. I haven't had it worked yet. I've bought a few new props and usually after having them a while I figure out the need and have them worked for my boat. This is the first time I've experienced hole shot issues. Most other issues in the past were high stern lift or bow rise issues. I am pretty sure this one can be solved with the right pvs hole plugging. I sure hope so. LOL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    All the Bravo's and Hydro xob's I have owned and my current 28 and 30 q4xob's I ended up opening 4 holes to slots 1"x 1.125" leaving the other 4 pvs holes and cut the barrel 1/4" on the bravo's and removing the 3/4" flare ring on the hydro's to eliminate the surge during hole shot. They do spool up to 5000+ rpm but don't surge and do go.
    That is an interesting take Dean. So you cut 3/4" off the flare? I've had to cut as much as 3/8" off to get the stern lift down on some props but 3/4" is a lot. I'm not saying it won't work and that I won't do it if that is what I need to do. I'm not opposed to anything that will solve the problem. I'm not real sure what you mean exactly about 1"X1.125" slots though. Did you have the pvs holes slotted to those dimensions?

12. Member
    I have a bridgeport mill in the garage so I am able to do the work myself. I slotted the set of pvs holes closest to the LU. 1" wide X 1.125" long. I started out smaller but this is where I ended up. I only cut 1/4" off the Bravos and ended up taking 1/16" at a time off my first Q4XOB per Todds (Hydromotive) suggestion and ended up removing the entire welded on flare ring to help with the surging and stern lift pushing the nose down. One thing to remember is I fish and play at 4350 ft elevation where the air is thin so I am down on HP compared to the lower elevations. I seem to require a lot of Blade surface and venting. My uncut performers work better than the BC that most run for big numbers. I don't know of anyone else that has needed to vent like I have done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    That is an interesting take Dean. So you cut 3/4" off the flare? I've had to cut as much as 3/8" off to get the stern lift down on some props but 3/4" is a lot. I'm not saying it won't work and that I won't do it if that is what I need to do. I'm not opposed to anything that will solve the problem. I'm not real sure what you mean exactly about 1"X1.125" slots though. Did you have the pvs holes slotted to those dimensions?

13. Member
    Today I went to the lake and put 4 plugs with 1/4” holes in them on the outside or exhaust side of the prop. My hole shot with a big load was a whole lot better. On take off I was able to spin up to 3200 rpm’s. not there yet but decent. Next trip I’ll remove 2 of the plugs and put 2 with 3/8” holes in them. I think that will do the trick. Thanks for the help guys.

15. Member
    Stokerdean Yamaha does something similar to that to vent their props. You cut a slot 1 inch wide and 1 1/8 deep basically removing PVS hole?

16. Member
    I opened up the holes closest to the case and left the other set of of holes alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Stokerdean Yamaha does something similar to that to vent their props. You cut a slot 1 inch wide and 1 1/8 deep basically removing PVS hole?
    Last edited by Strokerdean; 03-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.