Shift Cable Issues

I have a 2013 211 with a 250 Proxs - for some time now when I put the shift into reverse then try to move if back to neutral/forward it is very very hard to get it to move - not every time just randomly - kind of afraid one time it won't come out of reverse so I plan on having a new cable installed - does anyone know what length the cable is?

Factory is checking on it for me but thought someone may know - I'd like to get cable ordered so I won't have to wait for service shop to order it.

Thanks

2. Member
    Call over to Billy At Sartin Marine, I am sure he could help you out, he is a Legend Dealer.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

3. Banned
    Need to clean and grease the throttle cable with motorcycle lube

Mine is very hard to shrift into the detente. Always has been since I've owned it. Curious what you find out. I would like to replace my cable also but I don't know how to get the shifter out since it was evidently installed before the cap and hull were combined. I can't reach the nuts on the inside of the shifter assembly.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    Mine is very hard to shrift into the detente. Always has been since I've owned it. Curious what you find out. I would like to replace my cable also but I don't know how to get the shifter out since it was evidently installed before the cap and hull were combined. I can't reach the nuts on the inside of the shifter assembly.
    always been a problem with your boat, the first one was so tight i actually broke the shift lever. So you are on the second one. I am assuming it must be in the routing in the cable since the 2nd one ended up being just as stiff as the 1st one. Really stiff in cold weather.
    Pool 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    always been a problem with your boat, the first one was so tight i actually broke the shift lever. So you are on the second one. I am assuming it must be in the routing in the cable since the 2nd one ended up being just as stiff as the 1st one. Really stiff in cold weather.
    I was gonna ask you about that. Yea in cold weather it makes me real nervous. I always let it warm up and then it seems better. I figure it's a sharp bend in the routing somewhere.

7. Member
    I talked to the service manager at Sartin marine - Legend dealer in the area - and he said before I go to the expense of replacing the cable to see if maybe my hotfoot wasn't letting the motor go into full idle before I tried to shift - he said mercury puts something on the motor to keep you from shifting before idle to keep the gears safe.

Worth a check next time I go out probably a few weeks away but will let you know if it works.

8. Member
    I'd check the cable to make sure it is centered. There is a switch used to disable 3 of the cylinders to make it easier to shift. If the cables (throttle and shift) are not centered, lots of stiffness issues can occur.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    Probably trimmed up too far at some point and kinked the cable. Very common. It's not hard to change. You dont need any Legend exclusive parts for this. Just get the correct length.

10. Member
    If it was kinked I'd think it would do it every time - it does it randomly maybe a couple of times day and some days not at all - that's why the throttle deal sounded reasonable to me.

11. Member
    Its in the shop right now - bad compressor - sure glad I had that checked before the warranty ran out - so I'll get them to check for kinks etc while they're in there.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Its in the shop right now - bad compressor - sure glad I had that checked before the warranty ran out - so I'll get them to check for kinks etc while they're in there.
    Was there any sign of the bad compressor? I have an older optimax and wondering if I should get mine checked.

13. Member
    Saga begins - they took the compressor apart and said it looked fine - mercury told them to disconnect the compressor and run the engine on shop air to see if it still made the noise -waiting to hear the outcome. The sound is like a rattle - only hear it at low rpm since as they go up engine drowns out the sound. Put compressor noise on Mercury outboard into youtube there were several posts - one of them was really bad mine wasn't that loud but one of them was exacty noise I was hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Saga begins - they took the compressor apart and said it looked fine - mercury told them to disconnect the compressor and run the engine on shop air to see if it still made the noise -waiting to hear the outcome. The sound is like a rattle - only hear it at low rpm since as they go up engine drowns out the sound. Put compressor noise on Mercury outboard into youtube there were several posts - one of them was really bad mine wasn't that loud but one of them was exacty noise I was hearing.
    The rod bearing is usually what fails on the compressor. Mine was fine and went to move to a different spot during a tournament. When I started it up again it was making that noise. I was 10 miles from the ramp when it started going out. I made it 9 miles back up river before it just quit. So it didn't take long for complete failure. I got lucky cuz my cylinder didn't break and send shrapnel into the engine. Hopefully they figure yours out