Df25 - mods for more hp

i have a df25 from 03’. Looking at a parts list breakdown it seems to my eyes the only differences between the df25 and the df30 are the main jet, the pilot jet, the main nozzle and the CDI unit. Does anybody know for sure if that is correct and if swapping those parts would simply get me the 5 extra hp? I’ve added an extra battery for a 24v troller this yr and a few pounds in the waistline and I have lost a bit of performance and could use a bump in hp.

2. Member
    If you have thoroughly compared a 2003 DF25 with a 2003 DF30 and determined that the only differences are the parts mentioned, then the installation of the DF30 parts are what would be required to convert the DF25 to the DF30 configuration.

Before doing anything I would test the engine to ensure that it can run at or near its red line RPM when the throttle is wide open and the boat is loaded. If you are over propped the motor cannot make rated HP. Perhaps just a different propeller will make a world of difference. Cheaper than modifying the motor. CDI's can be quite costly.

What illustration by the way did you find the CDI on? My old tired eyes did not find it.

3. Member
    This page has all the parts diagrams broken down with parts numbers. It says 2013 but on the page before its linked from the 2003 models. After 2011 it says they no longer offered model years, so I think the 2013 is a mis-print, plus they were no longer 3 cylinder by then afaik. The CDI is figure 25.
    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc.../df25/2003.asp

4. Member
    If you try to compare a 2003 parts book with a 2013 parts book you get into simply upgraded parts which confuses the issue.

I would go to the 2003 parts catalog and search there. Open both the DF25 parts book and the DF30 parts book for the year 2003. Then compare part number differences.

When it comes to carburetors they have different part numbers. Stands to reason. What is hard to determine is why. It can sometimes be seen when internal components are different (pilot jet, main jet, nozzle, etc.) but if the body of the carburetor is different that is all but impossible to determine. Reason being is that the part number for the carb body is not shown.

What I noted is that the pilot jet for the DF25 model is smaller than the jet for the DF30 model. Makes sense IMO. However, the main jet for the DF25 (#135) is larger than the jet for the DF30 (#110). Just the opposite of what I would have suspected.

It is a gamble, coupled with time and money, to try and make a conversion. Which may or may not work. In most instances it is more practical and cost effective to sell the smaller motor and buy a bigger motor. And when doing so don't short change yourself. That is, if the boat is rated for a 40 HP motor then buy a 35 or 40 HP motor instead of settling for a 30 HP motor.

Good luck. And do like I had to do (and am still doing) lose some weight. If offers more benefits than just being in the boat.

5. Member
    Thanks for all the help. FYI I have been looking for an older lightweight 2stroke yamaha 40hp for a while but they are hard to find, but one of these days I am hoping to run across one like this to buy: http://www.obparts.com/used-outboard...utboard-motor/
    In the mean time I am probably better off leaving my Suzuki stock. Thanks again.