Banned

Reliable oil bath hub won't fill.

I've got the oil bath hubs with the aluminum cap and sight window, took the allen screw out and drained the first one for my annual change this weekend and now I am having problems getting new oil to show in the sight window, filled it as much as I could and definitely had some go in, maybe not as much that came out but I'm not seeing it. Let it sit awhile and still nothing, guesssing there may be air in there, any way to get it out? If a little water got in would that cause problems with getting oil back in it, oil that came out wasn't milkly though, it was black.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you have an oil container with a small tip on it, you can hold it over the opening and let the oil go in a thin stream into the hub from a half inch or so above the opening. If you try to fill with a funnel or anything that goes into the opening or try to fill too fast you will have to work to get the oil to go in. A pump type oil can with a flexible spout works about as well as anything.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    a cheap plastic ketchup bottle will work fine. On the Reliable oil bath, isn't halfway the limit? On the UFP system, they are filled 100 %

May take some help to get that heavy wt oil past the bearings into the sight glass cap.. Have seen them almost get air locked. Try putting the plug in and spin hub by hand. I know its a PIA but I always pull the trailer a decent ways then come back and refill the hubs.
    Not sure if yours are the same -- but most oil bath hubs have a spring behind the sight glass to allow for heat expansion. I modified a pair of channel lock pliers so I can get ahold of the sight glass and pull it out, thus pulling some oil through the bearing.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DABS View Post
    a cheap plastic ketchup bottle will work fine. On the Reliable oil bath, isn't halfway the limit? On the UFP system, they are filled 100 %
    Yes 50 to 60% full is the limit. Turned it upside down and let it drain again overnight and it filled right up, must've been some air in the system.

6. Member
    I use the gear oil bottle to squeeze oil in and suck air out
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I use one of those cheap catsup bottles from Wally World. Warming up the oil helps too.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67