Please help, need Z21 trailer bunk measurements to order Gatorbak

I'm ordering Gatorbak trailer bunk covers and need to know the dimensions of the bunks for a 2017 Z21. My boat is in storage about an hour and a half away.

Please and thank you for any help you can provide.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

2. Member
    I just ordered my gatorbaks last weekend put em together ready to install first launch at ice out. My Z21 is a 2017 model and the measurements were
    2 - 140"
    2 - 67"
    2 - 56"

IMG_20180226_223603_286.jpg

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Fish View Post
    I just ordered my gatorbaks last weekend put em together ready to install first launch at ice out. My Z21 is a 2017 model and the measurements were
    2 - 140"
    2 - 67"
    2 - 56"

IMG_20180226_223603_286.jpg
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!. Saved me a 3 hour round trip.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

4. Member
    Is the boat harder to load with the Gatorbaks? I thought about putting a set on my previous Ranger but decided against it since my year model did not have a history of blisters caused from sitting on the wet carpet on the bunks. Since I'm new to Nitro I don't know if this has been a problem for them also.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    Is the boat harder to load with the Gatorbaks? I thought about putting a set on my previous Ranger but decided against it since my year model did not have a history of blisters caused from sitting on the wet carpet on the bunks. Since I'm new to Nitro I don't know if this has been a problem for them also.
    I don't have any experience with Gatorbak, but I have a very expensive ski boat that got blisters from sitting on wet trailer bunks. Lesson learned. I'm not taking any chances. Getting Gatorback for both boat's trailers.

6. Member
    I've seen blisters on boats all the way up to 2012 so far at my shop. Gatorbaks aren't any harder to load than carpet. Don't powerload unless you dunk the bunks all the way first. And no,they're not slick either.

7. Member
    Where are you guys buying the Gatorbaks? Debating these on my 2013 Z-9 trailer since some of the boards need replaced ASAP.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    Where are you guys buying the Gatorbaks? Debating these on my 2013 Z-9 trailer since some of the boards need replaced ASAP.
    Do it, I got them from their official website. I came out of a 2013 Z9 that was totaled in a car accident. I bought the boat used last year with 95 hours on it and put 100 hours it before I got Tboned on the way to the lake. When it was at the glass shop getting the estimate for insurance and it was lifted off the trailer it had small blisters starting directly under every bunk. Thats the reason I'm installing gatorbaks day one on the Z21.

Had I never got in a wreck towing the boat and it end up in a glass shop, I would have never known and continued to use it as normal. I truly believe this is the case for 90% of boat owners. Who actually ever takes or gets the opportunity to look in between their bunks and hull?

So is everyone happy with Gatorbaks?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    So is everyone happy with Gatorbaks?
    I'm ashamed to admit its been a year and a half since I started this thread, and ordered the Gatorbaks. They are still sitting under my guestroom bed. I ordered the whole package including the end caps, hardware, and LED lighting, but have just never gotten motivated to buy the wood and install them. Heck I even had my trailer bunk carpet replaced under warranty and still didn't get them installed.

11. Member
    I've only used mine once since installing the Gatorbak's earlier this month. I know Gatorbak now says you can powerload. I did and was able to load at less than half power. The boat seemed to slide to the roller more easily than the carpet.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

12. Member
    Yep, have 180 hours on my motor and about 16,000 miles towed since I put them on. I jacked the boat off the bunks in the driveway around 100 hours to check for any scuffing and it looked mint.

13. Member
    Any issues of the boat slipping on the gator backs when unloading? I gotta price out a set of xps for my z21. I find my trailer is marking up my hull
    Nitro z21

What has been the average cost for these for a Nitro Trailer.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    My cost was $243.69 for a set of 10's and 6's including the hardware package with then end caps. I got a 10% veteran discount. The 10 footers need some trimming to fit my 9 foot bunks but a sharp box knife does a really good job. Gatorbac recommended the 3/4" roundover type for the long, inside bunks and the flat version for the outside short ones. The largest router bit I had was a half inch but my son-in-law has a custom furniture building business so I borrowed one from him to round over the edges of the 2X4's. Perfect fit.

I took the boat out again yesterday, by myself. What I'm describing is for my single axle trailer so take that into account.

I have always kept my boat hooked to the trailer when launching. Just me. When launching I usually just watch until I see the rear end float which means the wheels are pretty close to under water. Yesterday just to see what happened I backed in to the same level when I load which means I leave the tops of the tires out of the water. When I unhooked it slid backwards and I just idled off. That did not happen with the carpet. Again, when I loaded it took very little power to get it to the roller. It may be different with other ramps but I really liked not having to climb in the bed of my tall dually truck to get into the boat. I was able to walk behind the truck and get in without getting my feet wet. I checked the bunks for any marring and didn't see anything. I'm sold.
    Last edited by jtrac; 10-22-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Jim

16. Member
    My Z-9 trailer was $350 ish.

17. Member
    Not trying to scare anyone, I would use there product for sure, but use it correctly as they advise. I gurantee some are loading with gatorbaks just like they did with carpet. Boat gets half way on trailer and then full throttle to bow roller is not recommended.

On another forum two guy's different boat brands had something similar to gatorbaks, (do not think it was the same name brand). It wore deep groves in the hull.
    My guess is they did not wet the bunks before loading, power loading, or not as soft as gatorbaks, maybe.

In one case it was so bad, the groves got into the glass and glass was saturated with water causing hull structural integrity issues and deformation. The guy was second owner in his defense, he kept loosing speed compared to other similar boats, took it to boat shop after not finding anything wrong with engine they lifted boat to find the damage from bunks, no blisters, only straight deep worn spots into the glass from obviously the bunk material.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer...just keep an eye on it and use them correctly. Trying to keep from hull blisters ended up costing these guys lots more in the long run.

Gatorbak warranty......
    Gatorbak warranties our product against manufacturing defect for 3 years. This includes protection against saltwater damage, UV deterioration, and microbial growth. Gatorbak bunks are warrantied against scratches in gelcoat meeting industry standards for hardness of 50-55b (Barcol hardness). Our protection excludes any damage to the product during improper installation, improper use such as but not limited to dry loading, power loading, loading a damaged boat hull or due to extenuating circumstances where an insurance claim would need to be filed (storm damage, fire damage, and all other acts of God). This protection also excludes the uses of our product outside of normal, typical use. A normal, typical use is defined by using our product on boat docks, boat trailers, and boat lifts. Please contact us if you would like to use our product for anything other than those normal, typical uses. In order for the warranty to be valid a warranty registration card must be completed by the end user of Gatorbak products.
    Last edited by moetorola; 10-22-2019 at 02:52 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    I know Gatorbak now says you can powerload.
    Unless you mean something different by "powerloading" seems there is two terms of power loading on there FAQ.
    To me, power loading is what most of us do, use the engine with some power to push to the roller. Gatorbak appears to disagree.

There FAQ says different.
    https://gatorbak.com/faq/

Here is a video that shows what Gator back thinks power loading should look like. I am maybe accurate like this guy maybe...15%of the time. Typically for me, boat stops 3/4 of the way 70% of the time, 5% I am restabbing trailer..LOL!
    Last edited by moetorola; 10-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.

19. Member
    I know this is old post but I'm thinking about gatorbacks my 2022 z21xl is scuffed up and was wondering how you jacked your boat up thinking about doing new bunks this winter in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by nitroboy84 View Post
    I know this is old post but I'm thinking about gatorbacks my 2022 z21xl is scuffed up and was wondering how you jacked your boat up thinking about doing new bunks this winter in the garage

Just got mine, I bought the lumber and installed the wraps, went to a boat ramp, take old boards off, new boards on. Will be installing mine in a few weeks.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team