Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Lower Unit oil for 2004 50hp 2 stroke?

I saw quicksilver seems to be the go to....but Im not sure thats available locally. I also noticed that there were a couple different options...im assuming the "high performance" version is the one everyone uses?

Anyone ever used the Mystik JT-4 Lower Unit oil they have at Academy? Its cheaper....but if its not equally as good ill order and wait on the quicksilver since this isnt too much of a recurring cost...its my understanding to do it yearly...right? lol

Gonna be hitting the water next weekend and wanna get this changed before I do. Thanks.

2. Member
    never used mistake jt-4, might work in a pinch,i use HP in all gearcases worth the price , yes need to change yearly or more
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

While I would say it's always a better idea to use Mercury or Quicksilver products in your Mercury, I can say that Mystic is a good product. The private label for other brands like Citgo. Whether or not it meets Merc specs I cannot say. I used their marine grease in my hubs for years until I jumped on the Lucas bandwagon. I believe when I use up the last of the Lucas grease, I'll go back to Mystic.

You can get Quicksilver from Amazon but it's twice the price. Have you tried Walmart? They have it listed on their website.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    While I would say it's always a better idea to use Mercury or Quicksilver products in your Mercury, I can say that Mystic is a good product. The private label for other brands like Citgo. Whether or not it meets Merc specs I cannot say. I used their marine grease in my hubs for years until I jumped on the Lucas bandwagon. I believe when I use up the last of the Lucas grease, I'll go back to Mystic.

You can get Quicksilver from Amazon but it's twice the price. Have you tried Walmart? They have it listed on their website.
    good to hear....read good things about the bearing grease, and just picked some up too! Gonna do that and lower unit before hitting the water.

Planning to call all the walmarts around town....not holding my breath tho since i live in the middle of the desert! lol

thanks

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    never used mistake jt-4, might work in a pinch,i use HP in all gearcases worth the price , yes need to change yearly or more

ill prolly just wait to get the better stuff....im hoping this rig lasts me till the zombie apocalypse so I dont wanna cut any corners on the motor. thanks

6. Banned
    So nothing at the local walmarts....but they have the 80w version at the walmart at my home lake, where I will be going this weekend. Im wondering whether I should spend the extra 15-20 bucks ordering the "high performance" version online....or just picking up the 80w they have available at the lake? Local mercury dealer at the lake didnt have it either....smh....but these people also told me NOT to buy a 2-stroke mercury! lol so not really surprised, or mad....dont really wanna give them my business.

Does the 90w have a clear advantage? If it does...ill order it. Ill cut corners other places on the boat....but I want to take good care of this motor, and will do whats best for it. Let me know what you all think

7. Banned
    How many quarts for a 2004 ELPTO 50hp Mercury? Weathers sucking here until mid week next week...so my plans are delayed. Gonna order the quicksilver high performance...but wanna know how much to order?

8. Member
    wont hold a quart ,2.3 ratio holds 22.5 oz,1.64 =11.5 oz,1.83=14.9 oz
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

A quart is more than enough. I have a 150 and always have some left over. I started saving the leftover into another oil bottle and after 3 or 4 oil changes I've got almost a quart.

Don't worry about a little of it coming out as you reinstall the plug. It needs some room for expansion.

I don't remember...did you get some new crush washers? You need two every time you do this job.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

10. Banned

A quart is more than enough. I have a 150 and always have some left over. I started saving the leftover into another oil bottle and after 3 or 4 oil changes I've got almost a quart.

Don't worry about a little of it coming out as you reinstall the plug. It needs some room for expansion.

I don't remember...did you get some new crush washers? You need two every time you do this job.
    Wow....I thought I needed at least 2! and had 3 in the cart! saved me $23 bucks! lol thanks guys!

Did you get the little pump and the washers?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Banned
    Did you get the little pump and the washers?
    purchasing pump with oil....but no idea whatsoever I needed those washers. Are those a common item I can prolly pick up at a autoparts store? I see some on amazon...but not sure which I need?

good looking out! thanks!

Not sure of the size. They are made out some sort fiber material. Usually blue but sometimes yellow. The only place I've ever bought them is the parts counter at BPS. I did see them at Amazon but don't know if they'd the right thing or not.

I was told to always change them with every oil change.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Member
    marine part

15. Banned
    ordered 2 different ones from amazon....both mentioned mercury....so ones gotta be right! lol thanks guys! had not heard anything about it until you mentioned it....and I know itll help since the lower tends to be under water often! lol

Hey, we all have to learn. I learned all this stuff on a message board just like this.

The first time I did this job on my old 50 hp Merc, I bought two quarts. I thought something was wrong because it started coming out the top before the first quart was empty.

If if you do t get the right washers from Amazon, let me know and I'll run by BPS and get a couple and mail them to you.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

17. Member
    very nice gesture right there

18. Member
    Always replace the blue fiber seal. The yellow ones can be reused a time or two IF they are undamaged but don't know if they would compatible for your engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Banned
    Hey, we all have to learn. I learned all this stuff on a message board just like this.

The first time I did this job on my old 50 hp Merc, I bought two quarts. I thought something was wrong because it started coming out the top before the first quart was empty.

If if you do t get the right washers from Amazon, let me know and I'll run by BPS and get a couple and mail them to you.
    Thanks man! I think I got it right....especially after the last post mentioned a blue seal. The pic made it look blueish so I hope im keeping my fingers crossed its the one! Ill definitely keep you posted tho....def wanna do everything I can to make this engine run strong...and last long!

20. Banned
    I dont think I even used 16 ounces.....level line on the bottle was hovering right above the 16 mark....plus I had some left in the pump that went unused.

Glad I saw this post...cuz i was worried I did something wrong! lol I even pumped an extra 2 times to make sure it was full!

Gaskets were in good shape....but I still replaced them. Thanks bros.....gonna call this company that shipped me the gaskets via amazon...directly and see if they can send me a grip of them ($0.59 cents and I think they may have been OEM since they were blue) and just charge me once for the shipping.

I know they say every 100 hours....or yearly....but will it help performance if I change the lower unit oil in a few months/middle of the fishing season? Or dont overdo it and just stick to the yearly? It was so easy lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast