Drop shot blank - help me decide, or talk me into something else!

I’m about to build myself a new drop shot rod for the upcoming season. After a lot of reading and comparing specs, I’ve narrowed down my choices to 2 different Phenix models. I’ve read a lot of good things about these blanks, and really like that they’re rated for a healthy range of weights between 1/8 up to and over 1/2 oz. The first is a 7’2” in the M1 series, the MX-S72M-B. The other is from the Ultra MBX series and I’m debating between the 7’ and 7’6” versions. The 7’ is UMBX-S700M while the 7’6” is UMBX-S706M.

I’ve heard some people say they like the Ultras a lot, but I actually am leaning toward the M1 right now. The extra rating up to 3/4 is attractive, as is the $20+ savings. If I were going to go with the Ultra is likely go 7’6” as I think I’d like the extra length for controlling large fish on light line, as well as getting them out of the weeds when they inevitably get me into them.

I primarily fish a drop shot on outside weed edges for largemouth as well as on large rocky flats, humps and points for smallmouth (think Mille Lacs). It’s probably 70-80% largemouth with the remainder being offshore smallmouth. I know the extra length isn’t conducive to dropping onto fish you see on the graph, but I’m willing to deal with that for the extra control I feel like I can get with a longer rod.

Anybody want to nudge me one way or the other, or have another suggestion to talk me out of the Phenix line? I’d like to keep the cost for the blank around $100. Thanks in advance!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

2. rgoss66892
    Take a look at the St. Croix avid blank 3S69MLXF. I have built probably 15 of them for customers and they love them.

3. Member
    The phenix is a good blank. I have the 7’6 in the ultra series. My primary rod is a 7’6 St. Croix ML
    Nitro z21

The Saint Croixs seem really popular, but 6'9" would be way too short for what I'm wanting. The 7'6" could be an option, but I'd need to go to the SCIII series to keep it in the budget. I'd have to believe you'd want V series for a drop shot rod for the best sensitivity?

Now that NFC has their blanks on sale, I'm seriously eyeing one of their IM or HM blanks for my build. The drop shot blanks seem like they'd be too light, but I'm wondering how I could do with one of the spin jig blanks like 762-1. Anybody built a drop shot rod from an NFC blank that has a suggestion one way or the other? IM or HM? I'd ordinarily think HM without hesitation, but I'm worried about durability.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

5. Member
    I prefer a much longer drop shot rod as well. I use the MHX HM-SJ872-MHX.

It's 7'3" ML fast action. Pretty lethal drop shot rod. If you throw a lot of 1/8 or 3/16 you might even want to bump it down to the 7'3" L. The high modulus are always a little stouter. I wish I could comment on the Phenix blank, but I've never built one.

6. Member
    IMO when it comes to NFC, if you're going to use braid then go with IM...no braid HM. The IM blanks are very sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    IMO when it comes to NFC, if you're going to use braid then go with IM...no braid HM. The IM blanks are very sensitive.
    Thank you very much for the info...you're likely saving me a lot of hassle. Just to be clear, you're suggesting no HM due to the durability concerns?

Do you have any experience building on their DS or SJ blanks? Just wondering if my inclination about the DS rods being too light in power and the SJ being a viable alternative is the right way of thinking about it. Trying to decipher NFC's power ratings is an adventure....
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    I prefer a much longer drop shot rod as well. I use the MHX HM-SJ872-MHX.

It's 7'3" ML fast action. Pretty lethal drop shot rod. If you throw a lot of 1/8 or 3/16 you might even want to bump it down to the 7'3" L. The high modulus are always a little stouter. I wish I could comment on the Phenix blank, but I've never built one.
    Thank you for the info on those. I've looked hard at those but haven't read the best reviews on the MHX drop shot blanks. Lots of recommendations for Rainshadows and American Tackle Bushidos seem to show up anytime I read about the MHX. How do you think the HM MHX's compare to other rods you've used? Sensitivity is clearly a pretty big concern for drop shotting, so I'd have to believe the high modulus there is a good thing in that department. I just wonder how one company's "high modulus" compares to another's.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Thank you very much for the info...you're likely saving me a lot of hassle. Just to be clear, you're suggesting no HM due to the durability concerns?

Do you have any experience building on their DS or SJ blanks? Just wondering if my inclination about the DS rods being too light in power and the SJ being a viable alternative is the right way of thinking about it. Trying to decipher NFC's power ratings is an adventure....
    Last September when they were on sale I bought a HM-DS761 and an IM-DS761...they're still sitting unbuilt in my shop. From a rating standpoint, I don't think that either one of them will do what you want though I think they'd both be fine to 3/8 oz based on how they feel. Anyway, my HM vs IM comment about braid came from someone (forget his name) at NFC back when I bought some other blanks. I was looking for a pitching rod and when I told him I used braid with a leader a lot he recommended the IM over the HM.

I'm sure the spin jig blank would work as long as it's a true XF tip, DS is the only technique where I like an XF.

Since they're on sale, going with a NFC is a no brainer IMO. Regular price they're too rich for my blood but at 50% off I don't think you'll find a better blank for the money.

From a Phenix standpoint I've never built a DS blank but the casting blanks I've built have all been pretty significantly underpowered compared to they're rating so I'd just keep that in mind. Nice blanks but I'd go a power heavier than whatever you'd normally get.

Thank you for all that. Extremely helpful. NFC SJ762 IM blank on the way. We’ll see how she fishes!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"