Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talk to me about drones

I am looking for the input from you guys about a drone, preferably under $1k for doing roof inspections.

GO!
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

2. Member
    My brother in law has a dji phantom 3 and he likes it pretty well. I think they’re right around 450$.

DJI is the king of drones at this time, no real competition.

They start around $500 and go way up from this,...the increase in cost is due to better/more sensors that help with stability and range such as crash avoidance sensors and more accurate GPS. If needed you can get 4K camera but for your application the standard camera is really good!

The DJI Phantom 3 Advanced is a very nice drone for the price. It comes with nice features that will make learning to control the drone easy and exceptional camera.

You need to do some research and learn as much as you can before taking flight. Many new drone owners see their brand new drone fly off into the sunset because they didn't take to the time to learn the basics such as calibration, paying attention to how many satellites they were connected to or if there was any electrical interference before take off.

Drones are under the microscope as far as regulations and DJI has really cracked down on how far you can fly and where through their software so expect to get a red no take off screen in some locations. You will also have to register and get a license with the FAA to use this drone commercially. Take that last part very seriously, the FAA hates drones and doesn't need much of an excuse to make drone pilots life hell.

As said , to use for work you have special requirements. TSA test and a remote pilot airman certificate I believe .
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

I've got a Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K. The kids got it for me for Christmas, but I think they're $700 -$800. It's larger than some others and is very stable and easy to handle. The camera is fabulous. The remote includes a large screen unlike some that require the use of a cell phone. Mine came with a hard aluminum case with rollers and pull-out handle like a carry-on suitcase. There are some good videos on YouTube under Yuneec Electric Aviation.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    As said , to use for work you have special requirements. TSA test and a remote pilot airman certificate I believe .
    "Part 107"
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

I have one also but the majority here thinks they should be shot down...

8. Member
    I've had all the phantom 3's ... it's kinda like shopping for tv's for another $100 you get etc, etc ... the phantom 3's go in order standard, avdvanced then the professional. My last was a professional and I barely got $700 with 3 batteries , 2 cases , numerous props well you get the picture. Now there is a phantom 4K IT IS NOT THE PROFESSIONAL. It's a trick in wording . I'd look on eBay and you will find someone looking to upgrade. I sold mine while it was still in one piece and I felt the regulations getting tighter . Any questions feel free to ask .

9. Member
    Just don't be on the wrong end of one labeled USAF! Lol

10. Member
    Please don't even consider it without proper training and license.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    ... TSA test and a remote pilot airman certificate I believe ...
    https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_star...ot_cert/#first

Quote Originally Posted by mysuzytoo View Post
    I've got a Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K. The kids got it for me for Christmas, but I think they're $700 -$800. It's larger than some others and is very stable and easy to handle. The camera is fabulous. The remote includes a large screen unlike some that require the use of a cell phone. Mine came with a hard aluminum case with rollers and pull-out handle like a carry-on suitcase. There are some good videos on YouTube under Yuneec Electric Aviation.
    I have the same one very easy to fly and I am new to this
    Camera takes great pictures and video
    TCnSD
    Terry Chenowth
    Santee, CA

2003 Ranger 195VS
    2011 Etec 200HO
    No Problem I'm on fish...

12. Member
    DJI Phantom 3 Standard here, great drone, easy to fly with simple integrated features if you choose to use them.

It's easy to learn a TON of information is out there with good aftermarket accessories.

Cant speak of other drones out there, but the P3 is my 3rd drone and I'm still learning. My 4th flight and learned that you take video from the SD card not from the app. the video quality is supposed to be better from the SD card.

put everything to music as it helps with the not so good video :)

(SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

13. 9/11 - Never forget markheb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrostick View Post
    Take that last part very seriously, the FAA hates drones and doesn't need much of an excuse to make drone pilots life hell.
    The FAA hates everyone, not just drone pilots. Their motto is "We're not happy until you're not happy".
    "Do not believe everything you read or see on the internet" -- Abraham Lincoln.

14. Member
    As stated above, DJI is the best and really the only option that has multiple options. My company uses the Phantoms, 3 Pro and 4’s for our jobsite photos. I’ve used both models, both are fairly easy to drive, the 3 basic not so much because it doesn’t have auto landings or starting. You can also get certified refurbished DJI drones from DJI directly, which is what I’d buy.

I have a DJI Flamewheel NAZA2 with GOPRO Hero 3 (Capable of FPV flight) that has no DJI geo-fencing overburdening software to deal with.
    AND... a large format 800 series unit with WooKong flight controller same as above, no crazy geo-fencing software. Has a Sony NEXT-5T camera can swithch from movie to stills in midflight.
    Both are custom built and tricked out fly incrediby well, I have probably $800 in spare parts, tools and accessories including a bandwidth analyzer. Both controlled by a custome programed Taranis controller.
    I know you have a budget of a $1000 but thought I would throw that out there letting it all go for $2k, easily $5500 to $6k worth of equipment.
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    I have one also but the majority here thinks they should be shot down...
    Your good as long as your not within 12Ga of my property line

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Why? He’s planning to use it for commercial purposes (roof inspections).
    That absolutely requires training and licensure, no exceptions.
    That being said it’s not a big deal to get the proper paperwork to get a license!

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I’m sure all the other sonar units have it also, but just catching up is Raymarine!!

Have 6 of them for jobs and farm stuff.You can get awesome ones below $1000 and you will be very happy with it.We got these at B&H and they are the best to deal with.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/brows...9/N/3765401970

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    That being said it’s not a big deal to get the proper paperwork to get a license!
    Couple of weeks of reading/studying and about $150 for FAA testing and $85 for Homeland Security.
    It’s not as easy and carefree as it was a few years ago, the industry matured to handle those who didn’t.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast