Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

another blow out today Why?

i have a 2003 ranger R61, the trailer has ST175/80R13 C rated tires. i put Tow Max brand tires on it 2 years ago and both have blowed out. with these tires being 13" tires it really limits your choice of brands to chose from. and both blow outs were on the right hand side of the trailer,,

looking for suggestions for a good tire.

next question, could i go up to a 14" tire and wheel with no modification to the fenders on the trailer, i believe if i could go up to a 14" i would have more choices for a better quality tire with a higher load rating. i would rather not have to go this route if i dont have to. but im tired of worrying when my next blow out will be. next one might not end well...
    Last edited by Sir fishalot; 02-25-2018 at 11:29 AM.

2. Member
    There are some D rated 13 inch tires out there. Shop around

Just asking but you stated that both have been on the right side? ? do you have a habit of hitting the curb with them?

Low Air pressure and high speed for weight are factors in failures too.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Just asking but you stated that both have been on the right side? ? do you have a habit of hitting the curb with them?

Low Air pressure and high speed for weight are factors in failures too.
    No curb hitting that i know of. I normally keep tires inflated to 50psi. And run interstate speeds of 70 to 75 mph. Is that to high of a speed for that size tire?

5. Banned
    Are you running AT LEAST 55psi, all the time?

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir fishalot View Post
    No curb hitting that i know of. I normally keep tires inflated to 50psi. And run interstate speeds of 70 to 75 mph. Is that to high of a speed for that size tire?
    That's why, most likely. I have the same size tires, and ran 10 miles at highway speeds then measured the temperature. I can't remember offhand the temp, but the tires were VERY warm/almost hot to the touch.
    Took the tires up to 55psi and drove back over the same route; the temps dropped by 10-12 degrees.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    That's why, most likely. I have the same size tires, and ran 10 miles at highway speeds then measured the temperature. I can't remember offhand the temp, but the tires were VERY warm/almost hot to the touch.
    Took the tires up to 55psi and drove back over the same route; the temps dropped by 10-12 degrees.
    i'll give that a try, but im not sure tire temp was the issue, it was raining at the time it happened, so i would think that should have cooled tire temp down some. air temp was only in the mid 60's. but i have noticed in the summer when i pull 30 miles to the lake. by touch the tire are extremely hot. i will up tire PSI to 55 . thanks for the input. what brand of tire have you been running?

Went from 13in tires and rims on my tracker 190 to 14in wheels and goodyear endurance tires,they are d rated to 87 mph and i believe 2170lbs rated.They are 205/75R14 tires and fit under the fenders nicely,the new st endurance tires are also made here in america ,not china poppers.
    Last edited by BuzzBait53; 02-25-2018 at 02:25 PM.

9. Member

USA

If 14 inch wheels / tires fit, I would do that and have no more worries.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Go to D rated tires and run them at the maximum pressure. Tires shouldn’t be hot. Heat is the ultimate cause of almost all blowouts. Air loss or overloading cause overheating.

You want to know how much your rig weighs when loaded for fishing.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Chinese made tires are the worst. Go to 14 inch rims and buy the Endurance. They so far are the only ST rated tire made in the US. Chinese made tires might be designed/engineered well but their quality once they go out the factory door sure are junk.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir fishalot View Post
    i'll give that a try, but im not sure tire temp was the issue, it was raining at the time it happened, so i would think that should have cooled tire temp down some. air temp was only in the mid 60's. but i have noticed in the summer when i pull 30 miles to the lake. by touch the tire are extremely hot. i will up tire PSI to 55 . thanks for the input. what brand of tire have you been running?
    The damage was likely done over time, they just finally let go. ^^^^
    14" tires of the same outside diameter are no advantage over 13", unless you can get a better quality tire and/or higher load rating in 14".
    Right now I have el' cheapo Chinese tires.

Besides being 5 psi too low you were also 5 to 10 mph too fast for a C rated tire. Go with a D rated tire that will have more of a Ranger load rating and a max speed of 99 mph.

I went from a 14" to a 15" and there was no clearance issues what so ever...only about ¼'' bigger in diameter.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Member
    The rims, from 13 to 14 inches are only 1/2 inch taller. Depending on tire choice, they could end up larger diameter or the same. I'd select a larger tire, better load range. If you have 5 lug rims, borrow somebody's spare and see if it fits.

15. Banned
    trailer tires are rated to 65mph

I'm not really sure why the trailer manufactures put little tires on their trailers. Them little tires run faster is most cases than what your towing with. Which means they will run hotter. Air pressure has to be in the area of the side wall max cold psi and check it often.

If the ambient temperature is on the high side you'll need to slow down.

In my younger days a good friend of mine and I did a lot of boating. He got a new to him Starcraft (nice boat) but the trailer had these little tiny tires 8" or 10" rims. He knew they were going to cause issues. Fortunately the fender on the trailer was mounted to the axle so we knew if we could stuff it in there and it turned freely then it wouldn't cause a issue. Unfortunately the largest tire we could fit was a E or F something 13" but it was a whole lot better than the 8"or 10"er's.

That summer was hot and we took a 5 or 6 hour trip with the boat to Cumberland. We knew we couldn't fly so 50-55MPH the whole way. Never had a problem either way. But just about everyone that went flying by us towing a trailer with them stupid little tires we pasted up the road when they came apart.

Go as big around as will fit and not rub get some help to figure it out. Watch your air pressure and speed.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff from Iowa View Post
    trailer tires are rated to 65mph
    Some are rate over 100MPH. You have to check the sidewall.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

These are the 14in rims and goodyear endurance tires I went to.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBait53 View Post
    These are the 14in rims and goodyear endurance tires I went to.

nice wheels!! that makes me want to put 14's on mine now. just so they look that sharp.are all 5 lug wheels the same? what width are they?

The wheels are 14x5.5 with 0 offset and 4.5in bolt pattern.If you were to go to Trailer-wheels.com they have several rims to choose from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast