Transducer Shield and Saver

The instructions for installing a Transducer Shield and Saver L bracket on a jack plate tell you to align the forward edge of the bracket with the transom. I had used a level to find the bow lift at 4 mph so I could get the 3D transducer level, and then jacked up the boat in the garage to replicate the angle. If I follow the directions and align the bracket with the transom it will be off by about 15 degrees.

I wasn't able to talk to Scap as he is traveling, but his office basically told me I had to be doing something wrong because they had many Tritons where it worked fine. I have the boat torn apart to do this install and can't get it back on the water to double check the level, but I am confident I didn't measure it wrong.

Has anybody else run into this? The bracket I got doesn't have any pre-drilled holes so I can set it up anyway I want, but I would rather get it done right the first time.
    Has anyone else run into this, or is it unique to my boat?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    You are correct in paying attention to detail like that. You did it the right way by determining angles, like the guy in this vid. Most don't bother, but this will give the best accuracy. I would expect the TSS to be off a number of degrees in a proper install to get the transducer level

Last edited by catdude28; 02-25-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Banned
    What unit and transducer? Any 'ducer mounted on the JP will be out of the water when running, so the angle needed is the angle of the boat when going slowly.
    You want the transducer to be level with the water surface at whatever speed you plan on running. Drill your holes to accomplish this.

I have a Kobalt Laser Level that has an adjustable foot on it. I believe my model has been replaced with a different one. But, HB, HD, or Lowes sell a similar level. Standing on the front deck of my boat while in the water with the TM down, I adjusted the foot of the level until the bubble showed level, and then measured from the bottom of the adjustable foot to the bottom of the level so I could set it correctly when I got home.
    When I got the boat home and on level concrete, I set the level up and adjusted the foot to the correct height, and then adjusted the tongue jack until the bubble hit level. Took another torpedo level and sit it on top of the TS&S bracket and adjusted it until it was perfectly level. That setting works perfectly for trolling and idling.

Attached Images Attached Images
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    What unit and transducer? Any 'ducer mounted on the JP will be out of the water when running, so the angle needed is the angle of the boat when going slowly.
    You want the transducer to be level with the water surface at whatever speed you plan on running. Drill your holes to accomplish this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I had used a level to find the bow lift at 4 mph so I could get the 3D transducer level, and then jacked up the boat in the garage to replicate the angle. If I follow the directions and align the bracket with the transom it will be off by about 15 degrees.
    It is a Lowrance SS3D.

As I stated, I used a level when on the water to determine the proper angle. I was surprised that the TSS L Bracket is designed to level the transducer when the boat is level, not when in the water and under power.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax