Lodging near Bankhead Lake

Looking to come down in late September and fish the warrior for a few days, would like to stay around bankhead portion of the river, anyone know of any cabins or motels or marinas in that area for rent ? Thanks for any info!

2. Member
    As far as I know, no lodging other than RV spots at Bankhead. Best bet will be motels on Academy Drive off 59 near Bessemer, but sketchy areas are real close though. West side of Birmingham is a dump, so be wary. September can be a tough month down here at times. I'd wait til December to come down and chase big spots.

3. Member
    Jasper is close and smaller, multiple hotels close

4. Member
    I seen a place called buddy vines fish camp, any good? Says he has cabins and cottages to rent and rifht on the river. I just dont wanna have to drive an hour everyday to fish.wannbe close within 10 min at least

5. Member
    Sleep in your truck and make sure you pack heat wherever you stay! I grew up fishing that lake/river and dad never went without a full magazine and locked and loaded. Ive seen a number of vehicles broken into at a lot of the ramps. Dont leave anything of value out in the open in your vehicle! You can try Buddy Vines or Howtons for rentals but I have never stayed at either.

6. Member
    Not saying there is anything wrong with Bankhead. Its put up some big weights the last few years. But how did you come to the conclusion to come to want to come down and fish Big Muddy?
    Buddy Vines actually has I think the best boat lauch on the lake. But its small and no enough room for a tounament so just a few locals us it. I hit it up on Saturdays when all the other lauches are packed. Its a nice quiet area there. Ive never rented a house or cabin from him though. But the place is always well kept up. I would not stay in Bessemer at any of the hotels, besides the robberies and murder rates it would still take you at least 40 minutes to get to the water.

If you need help with anything or just want to ask some questions let me know. I fish down there most weekends.

Also as far as I know there is no on the water fuel pumps anywhere. But there is a Chevron gas station 10 minutes or so from Buddy Vines camp. Nearest Walmart is probably 30 minutes away in Hueytown or Bessemer.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

7. Member
    SBG lives pretty close to the big muddy... maybe he can put you up for a few days :D

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ee_nerd View Post
    SBG lives pretty close to the big muddy... maybe he can put you up for a few days :D
    Ha!
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

9. Member
    You can check at howtons camp if your going to Bankhead they have cabins up there i do not know if they have any available but it’s a great fishery for sure I only live about an hour from the ramps on Bankhead and howtons camp is a good one a lot of good tournaments go on there each week mainly on Sunday’s and some night tournaments in the summer

10. Member
    Im hoping I convinced him to hit the Coosa River or go to Smith Lake. He is/was looking for some big spotted bass. Those are my goto bodies of water for big spots!

11. Member
    You would actually be surprised at the spots that are in Bankhead and holt I caught a 6 the other day and two years ago I seen a 27 pound bag of spots come off one of those bodies of water smith and the coda are also great places to go but I live closer to the warrior than other places so I get to go there more than the foods and smith but i do want to go maybe when my boat gets out of the shop!

12. Member
    Big difference if you live close versus driving from Illinois in my opinion.

13. Member
    Heres you a 11.45 off the river from this year.. I’ve heard of several 10’s this year also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shoalcreek; 05-09-2018 at 06:53 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbg View Post
    Not saying there is anything wrong with Bankhead. Its put up some big weights the last few years. But how did you come to the conclusion to come to want to come down and fish Big Muddy?
    Buddy Vines actually has I think the best boat lauch on the lake. But its small and no enough room for a tounament so just a few locals us it. I hit it up on Saturdays when all the other lauches are packed. Its a nice quiet area there. Ive never rented a house or cabin from him though. But the place is always well kept up. I would not stay in Bessemer at any of the hotels, besides the robberies and murder rates it would still take you at least 40 minutes to get to the water.

If you need help with anything or just want to ask some questions let me know. I fish down there most weekends.

Also as far as I know there is no on the water fuel pumps anywhere. But there is a Chevron gas station 10 minutes or so from Buddy Vines camp. Nearest Walmart is probably 30 minutes away in Hueytown or Bessemer.
    I actually saw a shaw grigsby show where he was on the warrior with a guide and they were catchin some monster 5-7lb spots. Im all about chasin big fish and love traveling to different places across the country to new lakes. I usually take a couple trips per year to different places

15. Member
    The Shaw Grigsby show was shot on the Oliver pool of the Warrior river with Dustin Connell. Oliver is the small pool that runs through the heart of Tuscaloosa and there is plenty of lodging there.
    And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
    Matthew 4:19

16. Member
    Lower bankhead, holt, or oliver pool has big spots. The warrior is extremely bipolar tho.