BPS Johnny Morris Carbon Lite

I recently saw an add in the BPS flyer that said, Buy the reel, get the rod for free. So I told the wife, lets head to BPS this weekend and get another one. I already own 4 of these rod and reel combos and love them. So when I got to the BPS store in Cincinnati I new exactly what I wanted. I gathered up the things I thought I would need for the fishing season of 2018 (close to $1,000.00 worth of stuff) and headed to the check out. When I got there I was told the rod and reel I chose was not the one in the special sale and that all the specials were sold out. This was the second day of the sale and they were already sold out of the special deal. I argued with them for a few minutes, told them I had exactly what the sales flyer said was on sale and they still would not let me have the rod and real at the sale price they had advertised. So by this time, I was extremely upset, after driving 100 miles to get the (good deal) I was told "sorry these are sold out. " I had exactly, the same merchandise as they had advertised for sale, but they would not honer the sale price. Now I already own 4 of these rod and real combo's and love them. They are my favorite and I pick them over all my other rod and reels in the boat., but I must think that BPS lured in customers to get this great deal, only find out that it is not available, so the customer buys something else or pays full price for what they have on the shelf. I told the BPS manager to keep the $1,000.00 worth of other items I was going to purchase and that I would just do my shopping elsewhere. Was I wrong to blow a gasket ? I have been a loyal customer to BPS for years and to be lured into the store to find out the deal that was advertised is not really the deal just made me re-think the whole BPS as my outdoor supplier of choice.

2. Member
    This is how their spring sale always is done. They have combos made up for this deal. I agree the flyer is a little misleading if you are not familiar with their spring sale. It is really common for their good deals to sell out quick. The OKC store was sold out in the first 5 hours of the right hand model. If you hang out in the lounge above much you can read about BPS till your eyes hurt!!

3. Member
    They also open the store the night before to their VIPs. One year I went for some cranks got there when the store opened first day of sale and the color cranks I wanted was gone. Asked the staff and he said those sold last night at the VIP sale. I do very little business with bps just cause of the convenience of online stores.

4. Member
    They were available at one point so bps didn’t do anything wrong as far as false adervitising to lure people in. It’s the nature of a big box retail store, they get a certain amount of combos in and under the fine print in the ad it will say no rain checks it becomes first come first serve. I went yesterday (just about 80 miles) and they were sold out here but expected as much. I get that the manager was just doing his job by not reducing the price of the rod and reel you picked out but at the same time it’s complete bs that the sale doesn’t include that stuff. The only difference between the combo on sale and piecing one together is the reel comes in a box.

Working at at gander mountain for over 5 years was a real eye opener to how retail actually works. If the manager did discount those items for you to save the sale, he’d have to discuss it with his district manager which might lead to a write up on his end. Corporate doesn’t care about the individual, rather getting as many people in the store as possible
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

The combo was interesting, but the ad that came here by USPS clearly gave three rod choices, longest being 7', I think M & MH. Two days after the sale started, I checked the store and they were out. What has me PO'd is that, with IRS, Property Tax and Home Owners Insurance all due in April, I would like to at least be able to use the 6-pay scheme for a new reel or rod (neither BPS), but say you can't use it in-store, and the items are not in stock for either online or phone order. How useful is that?

The add did state you had three choices in rods, and I had one of the choices. What really gets me is I don't think the customer was getting the same quality of product when buying the combo. . They must have made a purchase of these rod and reel combo's at a very reduced cost to offer them at such a good deal. Regardless BPS has lost me as a customer for life. I will be shopping at Field and Stream, Dick's and even Wal-mart for now on. If they don't have it I will just wait til I get to Ky lake and get my stuff at Fast Eddie's.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srt1010 View Post
    They also open the store the night before to their VIPs. One year I went for some cranks got there when the store opened first day of sale and the color cranks I wanted was gone. Asked the staff and he said those sold last night at the VIP sale. I do very little business with bps just cause of the convenience of online stores.
    This is my creed also, used to be that BPS was the only game in town they had everything, that has changed dramatically now and the online stores actually have a better selection and are much more customer friendly. I would also suggest that if Fast Eddies is not a big box/chain store, you frequent him more often or else he might fall by the wayside.

Fast Eddie's is not a big chain store that I know of, it's a great place to shop and I stop there every time I am at KY lake. Only problem for me is its a five hour drive.

9. Member
    I have read on other sites that anglers have arrived only to find that they sold out. I went to ours last Tues to browse and found all to the hooks empty for the Sufix 832 150yd sale spools.

So now that I have sworn off the Johnny Morris rod and reels and BPS, what would you guys recommend as a good rod and reel at the $120.00 price each?

11. Banned
    Tackle Warehouse. Period

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanknbass View Post
    So now that I have sworn off the Johnny Morris rod and reels and BPS, what would you guys recommend as a good rod and reel at the $120.00 price each?
    I have 4 of the Johnny Morris reels.. I used to buy them until I realized how bad the drag was on each of the ones that I have. Now I have to contain their use to deep water / not heavy cover use.

For that price point you mentioned, I really like the Shimano Citica reels. For rods, probably the Duckett rods. I have bought 3 of the Duckett rods over the last couple of years and continue to like the way they feel. I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with the balance point or something, but when I'm holding the rod, it feels like the tip end is very light.

13. Member
    Worked for Kmart 20 years ago and most if not all big sales had limited supply and like someone mentioned as long as some products were available at start of sale the store has a clean conscience.
    Red Sox in 6!