SHO gas question.

I have a 2011 Z520 with a 250 SHO. I bought the boat used 2-1/2 years ago. Unfortunately I have not used the boat as much as I would have liked but this year is a new year. The boat has some of the gas that was in it when I bought it plus what I put in it to fill it up. Dealer said it had non Ethanol gas and thats what I put in it. I also added stabil the first fall. So....couple of questions.

1. Thinking about siphoning the gas out via the priming ball. Will this work or do I need an electric fuel pump.

2. When I refill. I plan to use non ehtonol gas but is here any reason I should not use premium or mid grade. I know the manual says 87 octant but is there any harm in higher octane.

3. I plan to use ring free and stabil with every tank. Any harm with that.

4. I don’t (or at least haven’t) had any water in the fuel alarms but should I change the water separating filter.

Thanks in advance for the help

2. Member
    I think it would be a good idea to get the stale gas out and don't know the best way to siphon it. Perhaps one of those hoses with a check valve ball you place into the tank fill and shake it until it primes.

I would definitely replace the water separator filter.

If you have non ethanol gasoline with an 89 or higher octane rating you should not cause any harm to your engine.

Running some Yamaha ring free would be a good idea also.

3. Member
    I have used the priming blub three times ,from the boat to a 5 gal gas can works great .

4. Member
    Thanks for the responses guys......

5. Member
    That motor is designed to run on 89 octane.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    That motor is designed to run on 89 octane.
    Yea. My SHO manual says the same thing.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

200 - 87 Octane
    225/250 - 89 Octane

They will all run on 87 but the 225/250 will prob pull back timing (if knock sensor detects detonation) therefore they wont be at full hp potential.

OP, I would siphon out all the old fuel and fill with fresh (89 for your 250). I would also change the fuel filter on the front side of the motor.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

8. Member
    Thanks again for all the responses. I siphoned part of the gas but ran out of gas cans so once I have some room in the truck I’ll finish that. Ordered a new water separator filter and will likely order a new fuel filter. Thanks for that tip.