Those of you that cook with cast iron ...

Ever try and date some of your older stuff based on the manufacturer logos, model #'s, foundry codes, etc. ?

I looked up a couple of ours (yeah, I was bored ) and was surprised at the age of some of our skillets ... one is a tiny 6" Griswold that was made between 1909-1929. Another is a Wagner # 11 dated between 1924-1935. There's a Griswold # 8 from 1930-1939. I got all but one of them over 25 years ago from a guy I worked with who did flea markets on the weekends. All were in rough shape when I got them but all cleaned up and seasoned well, no cracks, pits or defects of any kind. All of them still get regular use. I think I paid him something like $10 for 4 of them ... maybe I should go on Antiques Roadshow and hit the lottery

If any of your pieces has a raised ring around the circumference of the bottom, that's generally an older piece from the wood burning stove days and sometimes adds value. Two of ours have that.
    Ranting incoherently

2. Member
    I bought my vintage griswoold and specifically looked for one without the ring. The ring is not good for a glass cooktop.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Ever try and date some of your older stuff based on the manufacturer logos, model #'s, foundry codes, etc. ?

I looked up a couple of ours (yeah, I was bored ) and was surprised at the age of some of our skillets ... one is a tiny 6" Griswold that was made between 1909-1929. Another is a Wagner # 11 dated between 1924-1935. There's a Griswold # 8 from 1930-1939. I got all but one of them over 25 years ago from a guy I worked with who did flea markets on the weekends. All were in rough shape when I got them but all cleaned up and seasoned well, no cracks, pits or defects of any kind. All of them still get regular use. I think I paid him something like $10 for 4 of them ... maybe I should go on Antiques Roadshow and hit the lottery

If any of your pieces has a raised ring around the circumference of the bottom, that's generally an older piece from the wood burning stove days and sometimes adds value. Two of ours have that.
    I recently took up collecting cast iron skillets as I found them a preferable option to my stainless. In fact just seared a steak in one about 30 minutes ago.

If you want really old look for skillets that have a gate mark on the bottom. Its a leftover scar from the age where casting cast iron wasnt as efficient as its become. This many times dates cast iron to pre 1900. I have 2 with gate marks with one that seems to be mid 1800's based on some searching.

Good resource here:
    http://www.castironcollector.com/for...isplay.php?f=6

Whats interesting is how much lighter old cast iron is than modern. When I mean old I mean like very early 1900 or pre. I have several Wagners from the mid 1900s which are a good bit heavier than the couple I have with gate marks. Also a very easy indication that a pan is modern is that it will be a rougher casting than the old stuff.

never looked at mine , got it from mom 35 years ago and it was far from new then, no better pan to sear meat in for my money

5. Member
    I have a skillet that I use that was my great-great grandmother's. Not sure if she was the original owner. I do know it is a lot lighter than the newer stuff that I have.

My wife has some Griswolds that she uses all the time. I’m thinkin they’re from the 30’s. She had one or two and my dad got her another one about 10 yrs ago. They’re dandies. Then we have a couple of those like 15” or maybe bigger. It has the double handles.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    I have 2 that were my great grandmothers. Both have rings. But due to the build up the almost look smooth on the bottom. I almost got a divorce when I opened the dish washer and both pans were in it. I have been looking for a cast iron electric skillet. My great grandmother had one. Only one I have found was pitted so bad there was no way you could use it.

8. Member
    found one after the flood of 72 it is about a 15 inch lost it in the flood of96 looked until I found it in the mud cleaner it up looks like new

9. Member
    If you should happen to find one with the "Erie" name it will predate Griswold, but not as old as a gate mark.

10. Member
    The oldest on I have has L 14 with a US in a circle on it , it needs to be cleaned good and reseasoned, and does have the lip around the bottom
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

11. Banned
    Just looked at mine....has the name Jerimah Johnson scratched in the handle.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffie View Post
    If you should happen to find one with the "Erie" name it will predate Griswold, but not as old as a gate mark.
    What do you mean by gate mark?

13. Member
    What do you mean by gate mark?
    http://i63.tinypic.com/2uzbg3d.jpg

it is the cast line in the center of the heat ring. As Axkiker mentioned they are significantly lighter in weight, the one I have is much thinner than modern skillets

14. Member
    3 things you don't mess with. A mans wife. his boat and his cast iron frying pans.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    never looked at mine , got it from mom 35 years ago and it was far from new then, no better pan to sear meat in for my money
    Also great for frying fish.

This article explains the difference between vintage & modern iron and why the vintage is superior in some ways. This guy makes cast iron cookware the old way, but you're gonna pay - an 8" skillet is $245 ... cheaper to rescue one from a flea market or yard sale unless money is no object ...

http://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle...-it-used-to-be
    Ranting incoherently

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    This article explains the difference between vintage & modern iron and why the vintage is superior in some ways. This guy makes cast iron cookware the old way, but you're gonna pay - an 8" skillet is $245 ... cheaper to rescue one from a flea market or yard sale unless money is no object ...

http://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle...-it-used-to-be
    Ohhh wow thats pricey. Yeah there is not a lack of CI at the local fleamarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Ohhh wow thats pricey. Yeah there is not a lack of CI at the local fleamarkets.
    That's where I get mine. Don't know if they were made in 1990 or 1890 but they work well. I just look to see if they're in good enough shape to clean up and use. I've got enough to last me.

19. Member
    My wife has several sizes that are over 30 years old. She bought them right after we were married.