Should I replace my Stator ???

1999 Mercury 200EFI 0G897614. New week & new problems, I noticed last week that my lower voltage regulator was burnt & I could smell that certain electrical / plastic burning smell. When I took them out, I knew visually it was toasted. I did a little research and decided to check the stator, it pass all the ohm test listed in the manual, I don't have DVA, so I couldn't check the low & high idle volts. But visually, one side the copper is dark & the other side is shiny copper. Something also, drain my starting battery overnight. When I hooked a new battery up, I could hear a click around the stator area and get a big spark as my battery lead touch the battery post. Does the VR burn up the stator or does the stator burn up the VR? Or what could have cause this. I didn't smell this when I first got the boat, but I have had some performance issues

A little about the motor, I just bought in late december. It had been sitting for a few years. I have found several things wrong with it & hoping to get it running better.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks

3. Member
    yep gonna need both regs and stator, would only use oem also JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yep gonna need both regs and stator, would only use oem also JOE
    Thanks Joe. I was pretty sure I needed to replace the Stator from the looks of things. Will I have to set the timing after I change the stator

5. Member
    shouldn't ,wont hurt to check it though,just don't use junk regs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

The new mercury regulators have fuses to help prevent this
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haughton View Post
    The new mercury regulators have fuses to help prevent this
    To prevent from burning the regulators or from burning the stator

8. Member
    both

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ANY browned, blackened or burnt Bullet Connectors should also be replaced.

Be sure to verify your battery and connections.

Battery should be a traditional WET CELL Cranking Battery (don't use AGM, Gel, or Deep-Cycle Batteries).

Cables should be ENGINE cable FIRST, remaining lugs largest to smallest, and finish off the connection with a Stainless Locknut (NO WING-NUTS).

A high-percentage of Regulator Failures can be traced to the battery or battery connections.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Don, I saw this when I was researching other stuff. Before I roasted the VR's and Stator. I had a undersized battery, bad connections. I instaled a properly rated battery, took about 6ft of battery cable off (because I moved starting battery to starboard side) and install brand new lugs. The first time I cranked the motor, my stator burned up. I figure the VR'S were already gone.