Metanium 13 with braid and 1oz

Got a used metanium 13 off bbc and it had 30lb power pro and I put on my st croix xtreme carolina rig rod with 1oz tungsten.... seems no matter what I do that it over runs on the spool unless I just slowly sidearm LOB cast it.
    Currently I have all 6 brakes on and the exterior dial to number six. I've tried everything from 4, 5 and 6 brakes on and outside dial at three, four, five and six as well. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

What is your spool tension cap set at?
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

3. Member
    I have adjusted it quite a bit and currently it is set to where if I hold the rod tip about 7 feet high and free spool it it does not over run but about a quarter of a turn of the spool when the one oz weight hits the ground.
    Last edited by Bigguyone; 02-24-2018 at 08:10 PM.

4. Member
    Get rid of the 30 pound braid

5. Member
    50lb braid or 15 fluro?

6. Member
    Had a Met13 that was difficult to dial in, not as extreme as yours. If I’m remembering right, replaced the spool bearings. Not sure thats your problem, but you have something going on. Maybe send it to one of the repair places for a good clean/lube/going over

best of luck
    Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

Never had a Metanium, but I'm sure those little plastic centrifugal weights wear out, as can the spool tension cap wear pad. If you want, you could send it to me, and I'll see if I can adjust it to work. Don't expect it back until next Winter...

8. Member
    something is wrong in your set-up. I don't want to insult but a Brake that is ON for a Met means that it is loose so that it fly's out when spinning. I fish 30# braid and 1 brake on frequently with about a 4 on external dial and I almost never get an over-run even with these aggressive settings. I have thrown heavy rigs with my met and think I can with even the light braid; my confidence is +95%. I'd normally c-rig though with 20# FC.

I once bought a new 2005 Met that had an issue with the cast control; just could not slow the fall rate of 1oz sinker; it was all or nothing. This was a defect.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

9. Member
    Dunno if this would help, but I have a Chronarch MGL, which, it seems to me, requires far more pressure on the cast control then it should, but casts fine once I figured that out. Distance is good as tight as it is.

10. Member
    I have a couple metanium mgls and many aldebarens but this is only shimano I have an issue with.
    When I tighten the cast control down tight enough that it doesn't over run on the cast the casting distance is rather poor and when I say rather poor I mean like under 30 yards with a 1 oz weight