Question Problem with 1199CI HD SI

My 1199 is having a problem, on startup it begins the load, gets to the "press exit to continue" screen, I push exit, the screen comes up for about 2 seconds and then flashes up "shutting down " screen. If I don't stop it, it will just keep cycling, it is more like a restart than shutting down. If take it to the startup options screen, I can get to system status screen and same thing, it comes up for about 2 seconds then goes to shutting down screen. It doesn't actually shut down, it is more like a restart, it just keeps cycling. The unit is about 4 yrs old and this is the fist problem I have had with it. I did recently add a Helix 10 at the front, an ethernet switch to network them together, and a Ultrex with I-Pilot Link . The 3 of them worked fine together last weekend, but today I had this issue.
    I disconnected the 1199 from the ethernet switch but it did not make any difference. Software version on the 1199 is 7.460, been on that version for a couple years. Has anyone seen this before, any ideas on how to troubleshoot, having just spent $4k on the Ultrex and Helix, another new Helix isn't in the budget.

Thanks, any help appreciated.
    J

Remove any cards in the card readers, disconnect the Ethernet cable, and see if it makes any difference.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne..

Removed the Card, no change. I disconnected the Ethernet cable at the switch , figured it didn't make a difference which end but let me know if I should remove it from the HB. Interesting you went to the map card, 1 time last weekend on startup it gave a message that it didn't see the map card, power down and restart corrected and no issue the rest of the day.

To your knowledge, would the 1199 be more sensitive to power issue than the Helix? They are both on the starting battery, but the helix is not having any issues and according to my battery charger / tester the battery is good. Boat is now in the garage and 1199 is the only thing turned on and pulling juice..

Thanks again, any help / ideas appreciated.

J

Next is connect the 1199 to the Helix power cord and see if it will start up.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Separate and Isolate,, good idea. Will take some cable pulling and manipulation, will let you know what I find.

Thx again
    J

6. Member
    Move cables, Duhh.. Moved units much easier. Unfortunately, Helix started on 1199 power but 1199 had same restart problem on Helix power...

J

Quote Originally Posted by jaytd View Post
    Move cables, Duhh.. Moved units much easier. Unfortunately, Helix started on 1199 power but 1199 had same restart problem on Helix power...

J
    A trip to Humminbird for repair is $410.45
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Well.... thanks Wayne for the help and getting me to my decision point quickly. On a side note, the Helix is working great. I self installed it and the Ultrex and have not experienced any of the interference problems others reported, very happy with the Helix so far.

As always,, appreciate your excellent support.

J

9. Member
    I wanted to send a positive follow up on this. I sent my 1199 in to HB repair fully expecting to pay the $410 repair charge to fix the reboot issue I was having. Turn around happened inside 5 days and the E-Mail confirmation I got said "problem confirmed, software issue." When I got the unit back, the technicians note said he was able to correct the problem with software upgrade and changed the repair cost to $70.00. HB could have easily charged me the $400 but didn't, that's great customer service and a honest repair technician that understands happy customers are loyal customers, which I am.

j