Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chevy 6.2

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dtibbals View Post
    I have been truck shopping and plan on buying one in the next 2 weeks. We have a 2017 Infiniti QX70 and I will agree the seats in the Titan Platinum reserve are outstanding and very familiar. I go back and forth as to if I like the look of the Titan but biggest thing keeping me away from even considering one is the dealer support. I know if I buy a Ram, GM, Ford all of their dealers will be able to work on them. I have read more than a few horror stories about guys with Titans that have had issues with service departments and getting parts.

I had a 2015 F150 that was lost in an accident and it was my first Ford. I have always had Toyota and GM trucks/SUV and for the most part been satisfied. When I bought the F150 all the other brands were way behind and still are however with Ram and GM coming out with new trucks by the end of the year Ford will be a little behind but not much. I had 28K miles on my F150 and had to have the throttle body replaced after 2 service visits to figure it out and that was at about 15K miles. I also had a couple issues with Sync (it had the older version). Beyond that it was a great truck and only real complaint is after about 5 hours in the seat my butt starts to hurt. My last GM was a 2006 Duramax and those seats were like sitting in a lazy boy. Our Infiniti seats I can drive 10 hours plus and have no fatigue.

I travel a lot and rent cars almost weekly and when driving RAM's I have enjoyed the ride and seats but have been frustrated by the Hemi 8 speed combo as it seems to not know what gear it wants to be in. I have kicked a 2018 around since RAM is about giving them away and offering 0.9% for 72 months! Financially it is a solid choice but not really sure I want to own one.

I have been looking at 2017-2018 Super Duty as I miss having a diesel but good lord Ford is proud of them! Also kicked around a Tundra but doesn't have a great payload rating, pretty old school truck and gets horrible MPG. I suspect we will be seeing $4-5 gas soon even in TX. Between increase in fuel tax coming from the Fed and oil in the mid to high $60's it is a matter of time.

I plan on driving each brand including Nissan over the next 2 weeks to make up my mind but as of now I think I will go back to Ford. If GM and RAM had their new truck out it might be a different story.
    wait on 2019 ram looks like a hell of a truck

I've got a XD,love it, no problems. I've had GMC's, Fords, Dodges,and Chevy's 3/4 tons and some 1/2 tons . This the most comfortable one I've driven.

Nissan has never been able to make a dependable truck.

If you’re gonna get a diesel, why not get something that is a true 3/4 ton? I don’t see the point in a 1/2 ton diesel. It will never make sense to me.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Well I have a good friend that sold Nissans. He sold 4 of the titans with the Cummings. He got all 4 back. They quit putting them on the lot for awhile. One guy claimed he never over 10mpg's. But they were eat up with tranny issues.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtibbals View Post
    I have been truck shopping and plan on buying one in the next 2 weeks. We have a 2017 Infiniti QX70 and I will agree the seats in the Titan Platinum reserve are outstanding and very familiar. I go back and forth as to if I like the look of the Titan but biggest thing keeping me away from even considering one is the dealer support. I know if I buy a Ram, GM, Ford all of their dealers will be able to work on them. I have read more than a few horror stories about guys with Titans that have had issues with service departments and getting parts.

I had a 2015 F150 that was lost in an accident and it was my first Ford. I have always had Toyota and GM trucks/SUV and for the most part been satisfied. When I bought the F150 all the other brands were way behind and still are however with Ram and GM coming out with new trucks by the end of the year Ford will be a little behind but not much. I had 28K miles on my F150 and had to have the throttle body replaced after 2 service visits to figure it out and that was at about 15K miles. I also had a couple issues with Sync (it had the older version). Beyond that it was a great truck and only real complaint is after about 5 hours in the seat my butt starts to hurt. My last GM was a 2006 Duramax and those seats were like sitting in a lazy boy. Our Infiniti seats I can drive 10 hours plus and have no fatigue.

I travel a lot and rent cars almost weekly and when driving RAM's I have enjoyed the ride and seats but have been frustrated by the Hemi 8 speed combo as it seems to not know what gear it wants to be in. I have kicked a 2018 around since RAM is about giving them away and offering 0.9% for 72 months! Financially it is a solid choice but not really sure I want to own one.

I have been looking at 2017-2018 Super Duty as I miss having a diesel but good lord Ford is proud of them! Also kicked around a Tundra but doesn't have a great payload rating, pretty old school truck and gets horrible MPG. I suspect we will be seeing $4-5 gas soon even in TX. Between increase in fuel tax coming from the Fed and oil in the mid to high $60's it is a matter of time.

I plan on driving each brand including Nissan over the next 2 weeks to make up my mind but as of now I think I will go back to Ford. If GM and RAM had their new truck out it might be a different story.
    Seems to be a big difference in quality coming out of the Japanese plant and the Mississippi plant. I bought a 2006 Titan and it did not hold a candle in reliability to the other Datsuns/Nissans I have owned. I know that is not the same as a XD! However, I sit on a board with a Nissan service manager and he still drives a Q, it has over 200K miles. He says he won't buy a Nissan with a CVT. Ironically the board meets with someone he had to deal with on a CVT issue on her Maxima. Seems like they negotiated her paying half and Nissan paying half. That transmission was about 4 grand. It's become a rolling joke between them. I also have a good friend who is a customer national service rep for Nissan. She told me I was too picky to own _______ and gave me a list of Nissans not to buy after my Titan fiasco. She also drives an Infinity. To be fair I have had troublesome vehicles in a few brands...I am PICKY. I figure something that costs 40-70K, I have the right to expect things to work as they should and hold up at least within the warranty period.

I took a chance and bought the new Honda Ridgeline this time wanting to try a midsize truck. It's currently top rated for those of us that don't go mudding. My copy has had several nit noid issues that Honda has addressed. I doubt I buy another, I'm going to keep it one more year. Right now I plan on going back to a full size truck.

The problem with owning something like a QX70 or a Platinum F150 etc...is that is HARD to go backwards.

My Tundra was flawless in reliability, most are. You are correct on payload. If you haul big loads you'll want air bags. I found MPG to be about 2 off the best full size gas trucks I've ever owned. You can confirm that on fuelly.com They are simply old school hard working trucks. I wish I had bought the Platinum when I bought mine. Actually I wish I had bought the Land Cruiser back in 2014 and been done with it.

I always say I am done with the first year anything. Then someone comes out with something new and I am like a damn big kid all over again LOL. If you do buy a 2019 Ram you better pray you get a good one!!! I just spent about 1500 miles in a 1500 Laramie Longhorn last week. They are super nice, same payload issue as the Tundra, and the guy has not had one single issue in the two years he's owned it. He says the MPG is the same as the Tundra it replaced. He owned the Tundra for 5 so I figure he should be a decent person to compare the two.

If you can swing a KR or Platinum F250

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows21XHP View Post

If you’re gonna get a diesel, why not get something that is a true 3/4 ton? I don’t see the point in a 1/2 ton diesel. It will never make sense to me.
    The Ram Eco makes a TON of sense in the half ton. Not everyone needs a 3/4 ton or to tow 10,000 pounds. Getting the MPG of that little 3.0 in a full size truck is sure nice!

I agree 100% when they start stuffing the 5.0 diesel in them that gets basically the same MPG as the 6.0 without the xtra capacity of the 3/4.

8. Member
    The XD is equivalent to what a 3/4 ton was back in 2000 to 2002 before the diesel torque wars took off. Even though it doesn't make a lot of sense to most people, but it does provide an alternative for some buyers who own heavier bumper pull campers and want a stable platform that won't get thrown around like most half ton would pulling similar loads or want the harsh ride of a 3/4 ton. Nissan should've spent more R&D on this truck and worked the bugs out of it before releasing it. Regardless, there's no perfect truck out there that fits everyone's needs.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

I had a 2016 XD. Traded it after four trips to the dealer for issues with the emissions and turbo. Also had the rough shifting. Flash helped some but still was more than noticeable. Shame because it towed amazing and was comfortable. I just decided to get off the ride as I hate being inconvenienced by having to bring something new in for service. Also, the Nissan techs are almost clueless on how to fix this truck.

10. Member
    ONE BIG QUESTION on these Titian XD Trucks:

The guys having the problems, Diesel or Gas model?

Reason I ask is from what I have heard the Gas Models have been flawless, while the Diesel Models are the one with all the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The Ram Eco makes a TON of sense in the half ton. Not everyone needs a 3/4 ton or to tow 10,000 pounds. Getting the MPG of that little 3.0 in a full size truck is sure nice!

I agree 100% when they start stuffing the 5.0 diesel in them that gets basically the same MPG as the 6.0 without the xtra capacity of the 3/4.
    You can get a 1/2 ton that is rated to tow 11,000 lbs. No need for a 3/4 ton truck for that application. The F150s with the 3.73 rear end will do that all day long.

And sure, your gas mileage with that eco diesel is better than gas. But you’re also paying $.35/gallon more at the pump, and higher maintenance fees.

I’ve owned both. Multiple times. And no matter what way you look at it, it’s never cheaper to own a diesel
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    To each their own, I’m not pulling that kind of weight with a half ton.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    ONE BIG QUESTION on these Titian XD Trucks:

The guys having the problems, Diesel or Gas model?

Reason I ask is from what I have heard the Gas Models have been flawless, while the Diesel Models are the one with all the issues.
    From what I hear in actual driving the gas models are real thirsty.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    wait on 2019 ram looks like a hell of a truck
    It does but I need one now. I we have been doing one car for 6 months, and the last 2 months I have been paying for a rental. Been trying to hold out for the F150 diesel but it still isn't here and from what I have been reading Ford plans on selling them like the raptor which is MSRP no discounts which I refuse to pay.

15. Member
    April issue of Motor Trend has an article on it long term test over 30k miles.

I was in my brothers XD today and its a very nice truck , beautiful intieor at least as big as my F250 , his came with a 100.000 mile bumper to bumper . I own 2 U D trucks that are commercial Nissans in the 2 ton range and they are the best cabover trucks made and the Diesel engines straight 6 are awesome .
    I believe his XD weights about the same as F250 diesel .

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

18. Member
    Disagree! Owned a couple of Infinitis and they were awesome!!

19. Banned
    Move this thread to the cars,truck forum please.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows21XHP View Post

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.7, actually love it, but the warranty is about up and doesnt quite fit in my garage......after reading the bad reviews, think im leaning toward the Dodge Ecodiesel.....or just do the deletes on mine and leave it parked outside lol...... i would like to get a truck with a few more bells and whistles(the tradesman is a pretty strip down model)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast