1997 Mariner 200HP starboard head overheating-HELP!

I have been working on this issue since last fall. Now it's getting warm enough to start again. Not sure what happened but at some point while tinkering with my motor, mariner 200HP EFI OG 571537, I lost some or all of the cooling water flow through the starboard head. While running the engine, the water flow out of the pitot tube has diminished considerably and while the port head is warm while the engine is running the starboard head gets quite warm- almost too warm to hold your hand on it. Changed the water pump. Changed the poppit valve. Pulled the heads to check for any unseen obstruction. Pulled off ALL hoses and checked for obstructions. Flushed the heads with the thermostats off. Good flow there. Took off the lower unit and hooked a garden hose to the water pump tube and out through the thermostat ports. Good flow there, probably because of the increased water pressure. One thing I did was to remove the starboard thermostat and reconnect the cover on the head. Got good water flow through the pitot tube then. Put the thermostat back in and flow quit. Assuming that the water pressure was too low to have a good flow past the starboard thermostat. Replaced both thermostats after checking them for operation in hot water. Both opened around 143 degrees. I know there is water going through the engine because ample water runs out above the anti-cavitation plate. My concern is that there is an obstruction somewhere in the water path through the starboard head. Any ideas on where else I could look or any other flushing method I could use?

2. Member
    How long are you letting the motor run for water to exit the tell tale stream. It takes about 30 seconds to 2 minutes for the thermostats to open and start peeing. The head will be around 143 degrees which is very hot to the touch. Could be that the other head was too cool, with a thermostat that was stuck open.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Cousin had the same problems and did as you did., Lake he fishes is high calcium and lime started building up inside of the motor, At the marina they pulled the stats and ran lime away thru it. Flushed and he was good again