ZX185c Which prop 23M or 25M ?

Hello
    I have a 99 ZX185C with a Vmax 150 and I have a 23M and I am debating on switching to a 25M. I have had several people tell me I needed a 25M because their boat ran better but two different prop shops said a 23M was correct so now I am confused. lol If you have a ZX 185 could you please post your numbers and what prop you have ? Mine started out as a Twin Prop motor and someone has since switched the lower unit to a single prop if that matters. I had a guy tell me he bought his new off the showroom floor and his had a 25M.
    Thank You
    Last edited by jlinmo226068; 02-23-2018 at 05:29 PM.

2. Banned
    Depends on what wot rpm the 23m is turning. I had a 97TRP 150 on a zx185c and when we swiched to standard gear case I was turning a 27m to 5700rpm which was perfect. The gear ratio is also critical to prop selection.

3. Member
    From what I have read it has a 2.0 gear ratio. I have been told I have alot of prop slip so I need to make a decision to either have the 23M reworked or trade it in and get a 25M the shop said it was approximately the same price either way what would you do?
    Last edited by jlinmo226068; 02-24-2018 at 07:57 AM.

I have the exact same boat as you and when I bought it less than 2 years ago, it had a Tempest + 25p on it. It would top out at 57 mph / 5500 rpm with 2 guys and a light load. The prop wasn't in the best shape, so I had it reworked by Gary @ TruePitch and he felt it might perform closer to a 23P now. I only ran it a few times and it was about the same. I then bought a 23P Tempest + from a buddy and tried that...topped out at 55 mph / 5600 rpm. I tried moving the motor up a 1/2" on the jack plate on three different times and then I was only getting about 54 mph /5500 rpm...

Performance has progressively gotten worse over the last few months and my carbs were leaking some gas. Just had them rebuilt, but haven't been able to get the boat back out to see how it runs yet! So I need to get it out and try both props with the carbs rebuilt and see how it performs. I may need to drop the jack plate back down, but I'm getting plenty of water pressure. I also picked up a 24P Ballistic prop that I want to try as well. Everything I've read says I should see low 60's when this boat is set up right. I really don't like running it all out as it is almost 20 years old, but I'd like to at least know what she can do!

Once I get back out on the water, I'll post back here and let you know what the numbers are. I would suggest trying to get your hands on a 25M to see what your boat will do...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by jlinmo226068 View Post
    Hello
    I have a 99 ZX185C with a Vmax 150 and I have a 23M and I am debating on switching to a 25M. I have had several people tell me I needed a 25M because their boat ran better but two different prop shops said a 23M was correct so now I am confused. lol If you have a ZX 185 could you please post your numbers and what prop you have ? Mine started out as a Twin Prop motor and someone has since switched the lower unit to a single prop if that matters. I had a guy tell me he bought his new off the showroom floor and his had a 25M.
    Thank You
    Had a 99 ZX 185c with a 99 carbed Vmax 150. Bought it new in 99 and it came from factory with a 25m. Just traded it on a new 18 ZX 250 in January. My numbers with the 25m were 61-63 all day every day at wot 5600 RPMS. Hole shot was very fast and it made that 185 scoot to it's full potential.

6. Member
    Thank You for your help guys