Trailer brakes are locked. Can't back up

I have a 2003 Champion 2016 Elite and trailer. I have occasionally had trouble with the trailer brakes locking when I try to back up. Once I get a good electrical connection the probably goes away but this time the brakes are stuck and no amount of adjusting plugs etc has helped.

I have tried both my GMC truck and my Toyota 4-Runner. Same result.

Need help!!

Sounds like you're losing power to your actuator. Its in the tongue and needs 12 volts from your reverse lights (on your truck) to disengage the surge brakes. Otherwise when you back up it compresses the tongue and locks your brakes.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

3. Member
    Solenoid in the trailer tongue has gone bad. Replace.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FDR80 View Post
    Solenoid in the trailer tongue has gone bad. Replace.
    Could be what Roy indicated as well. I'd check fuses and make sure that the voltage is getting to the solenoid when the vehicle is in reverse before jumping off and replacing it. He needs to also make sure that the trailer harness is grounded through the plug rather than relying on the physical contact of the ball and socket providing the ground.

5. Member
    Is there a manual way to over ride this. I need to back it in the garage until I can have it checked out?

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tnhunter View Post
    Is there a manual way to over ride this. I need to back it in the garage until I can have it checked out?
    Either a pin in the tongue or a couple nickel behind the front pin to keep it from sliding depending o the brand.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Tx champ had best response. Bad electrical ground is the problem 75% of trailer problems . Don’t just guess you have a good ground. Check and confirm you’re getting connection to trailer with a test light. You’ll be surprised how you can loose connection from wire to connector or from connector to trailer. Sometimes just removing the screw and replacing with larger or new one.

I have one of these lockout things cabled to my trailer tongue and hold it in place with a magnet, planned on fixing the problem, but I noticed at the end of last year all the fluid disappeared in the brake system. Probably don't need to have the lockout in place anymore!

https://www.amazon.com/UFP-Lockout-B.../dp/B006UH6DDA
    Mountain Home ChamP 181

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    ...I have tried both my GMC truck and my Toyota 4-Runner. Same result.
    OK, just saw this, so sounds like the issue is most likely on the trailer end unless you've blown backup light fuses on both vehicles. I believe it is going to be the blue wire on the trailer harness that you want to check & test. And as mentioned before, make sure your ground id good. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of the A60 Maintenance Manual.

Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 2003 Champion 2016 Elite and trailer. I have occasionally had trouble with the trailer brakes locking when I try to back up. Once I get a good electrical connection the probably goes away but this time the brakes are stuck and no amount of adjusting plugs etc has helped.

I have tried both my GMC truck and my Toyota 4-Runner. Same result.

Need help!!
    Check to see if one of the wires going to the back up solenoid has popped loose. There could be corrosion there or connection points at the trailer plug or adapter. Always keep a lockout key in the boat if the back up solenoid stops working, or you will be SOL if you need to back up.

I have this one that does not have to be taped or have someone hold it in place (ouch).
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

Man these Champ guys are helpful! Proud to be a family member!
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

12. Member
    I had more wiring issues than I thought. Changed the entire trailer harness and I am back in business. Special thanks to TX Champ for the diagram. It is saved for future use.

Champ guys ARE the Best and had the problem properly diagnosed!

May all your grandchildren be born buck naked!!