Thread: Armed teachers

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Just curious. How much would these armed teachers get paid?

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    If they have a carry permit, and they want to carry in school, what can it cost??

As Jerry stated, I would rather be locked in a class with a armed teacher, than with one throwing papers at the bad guy!!

3. Member
    It’s already legal for conceal carry permit holders to carry on college campuses in TN. The issue I’m finding is the holders of tenure are largely “anti-gun” and of course contract instructs want a chance at tenure. They must go through those key holders for the proper paperwork to legally carry on campus. If it’s not one thing it’s a hundred others. I know several tenured professors who indeed carry. They bulk I know...note I said I KNOW...I can’t speak for all, don’t carry. They count on campus police.

I find that laughable knowing how the Office of Disability Services works.

It costs the college nothing extra other than filing the proper paperwork. The professor has to pay for the training and their weapon.

4. Member
    For those who want 3 or 4 police in each school, are you willing to pay the much higher taxes that would be needed?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    Well then was bad at his job...again, I just think that there will be few teachers who would be able to do the right things in those situations, due to a lack of continuous training. I know for a fact, I don't have enough time in my schedule to be trained well enough. Just knowing how to use a gun in my opinion is not properly qualified to handle these types of situations.
    That's why i asked if they had time for this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    That's why i asked if they had time for this.
    They are off all summer.

7. Banned
    Can a full time teacher be trained well enough to act accordingly in a situation like this? I just believe that if anyone is going to be holding and using a gun in a school shooting situation, it should be someone that holds this job as his #1 and only job.
    That's ridiculous but I won't ridicule you. It doesn't take a full time professional arms handler to be safe and effective in an emergency. To answer your question yes they absolutely can in a surprisingly short time.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    They are off all summer.
    Thats a joke!

There is always something to do.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Won't these be the same teachers that "teach leftist ideals"? Many can't find books and many buy supplies out of their own pocket and "having the whole summer off" doesn't really work out that way, now they will have to become proficient in the use of a firearm(s) then who pays when/if a student gets shot by mistake?

Will they have to pass a Psychological exam prior? Full background too?

If this gets down to a 'scientific poll' please put Me down for the "Absolutely terrible idea" section..
    CC permits to my knowledge don't use psych tests or full background checks. Who pays if or when a cc permit holder or LEO shoots someone by mistake?

Can a full time teacher be trained well enough to act accordingly in a situation like this? I just believe that if anyone is going to be holding and using a gun in a school shooting situation, it should be someone that holds this job as his #1 and only job.
    I’m sure this will come off wrong and I will get flamed .. but do you know any officers ? Ask them how many times they go to the range ... I know a lot of officers .. none of them belong to a gun club and the only shooting they do is forced training and certifiying .. one exception is an officer i know who is on swat and he trains 3 days a year ..they bring in an 18 wheeler here for certification and they all line up and are done in 2 minutes .. they also have the campus police certify at the same time and one of them shot him self in the foot

Our police department doesn’t even have a range and we are the second largest city in the state !

My wife is a teacher at a private school. If it came to where they were going to have to carry, she would need a lot of training. She has shot guns before but is not very comfortable around them. That being said, how many of us that carry could always use more defensive and firearms training?
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Thats a joke!

There is always something to do.
    Yeah a lot of teachers go to different conferences during the summer. I’m sure they could squeeze some time in for training if they wanted to carry at school. A lot of jobs require training each year. I don’t see why teachers couldn’t squeeze that in.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    CC permits to my knowledge don't use psych tests or full background checks. Who pays if or when a cc permit holder or LEO shoots someone by mistake?
    Cc permit they don’t check your back ground ?? Man the rest of the states must have a lot easier requirements than we do

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    I’m sure this will come off wrong and I will get flamed .. but do you know any officers ? Ask them how many times they go to the range ... I know a lot of officers .. none of them belong to a gun club and the only shooting they do is forced training and certifiying .. one exception is an officer i know who is on swat and he trains 3 days a year ..they bring in an 18 wheeler here for certification and they all line up and are done in 2 minutes .. they also have the campus police certify at the same time and one of them shot him self in the foot

Our police department doesn’t even have a range and we are the second largest city in the state !
    Around these parts shooting is a pastime. Something that is to be done before supper on a summer weekend. I know a lot of officers do not know their way around a gun but a lot of them do. Heck most of the population is well practiced.

15. Banned
    Cc permit they don’t check your back ground ?? Man the rest of the states must have a lot easier requirements than we do
    Depends on the state. Some have permitless carry, some issue with just a fee paid, and some do a background check, fingerprints, and require training. In TN concealed permit requires the latter. No reason for those folks can't coordinate with the school to be allowed to carry.

16. Member

That is terrible. The first agency i worked for required yearly certification 8 hours in class and 8 hours on the range. The second agency required Quarterly certification 8 hours class time and 8 hours range time.

17. Member
    I really don't think schools need to rely on teacher being the security for the school. Not everyone can pull the trigger when needed. Teachers need the option to protect themselves and should be vetted just a little more than the average CC holder, but at least given the opportunity. Security should be hired at all schools based upon building size and pupil count. Access in the mornings should be limited but enough to accommodate entering without long lines. At the end of the day teachers can open more exit gates to minimize congestion. Over time these things can be worked out.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

18. Member
    Not to the depth of LEO background checks, at least here anyways.

19. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I believe pilots have a one day training twice a year.

Ill double check it it might be once a year!

Here to get a permit it was 4 hours of class .. back ground check fingers prints and still at the discretion of the chief of police for the town or city you live in .. and it was a 6 month wait to get it by the time the paper work went to feds first then sits on the chiefs desk waiting for him to sign off

Wife and I go to the range a minimum of 20 times a year .. and usually bring new people with us every time .. have helped 18 people get comfortable enough to get their CCW

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast