Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20xrd setup help

I am about to order a new 20xrd. I am going to put either a four stroke 150 pro xs, or two stroke 175 pro xs. It all depends on what I learn from this conversation. My goal is to achieve 70 mph with tourney load. Reason for, that will allow me to cover most lakes efficiently during a tourney. I know I'm committing treason in most of yalls eye, so take it easy on me I'm new here. I just really like the minimalist approach here. I think this would be a really efficient fishing machine. My 1st question would be how much set back? 2nd question which motor? 3rd question which prop? I will be running lithiums, solix 12s front and back, 36 volt ultrex, and 10ft blades. I know the 150 four stroke is a stretch, but keep in mind I am planning on having It flashed. I have been told I could expect 170ish hp after flash. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    I would run a 200 at least, just my 2 cents

3. Member
    I am trying to keep the boat as light as possible in the rear to keep the bow from raising, so hopefully it will fish better. I know it's a strange setup I am after. The 200s are substantialy heavier, and if I went to that heavy of a motor I might as well run a 250. However I am after efficiency, but still chasing 70 mph.

4. Member
    Even a 150 four stroke weighs 456lbs per Merc website. Think I would look at a 200 2 stroke. I don't think the 3 litre motors are much different. Just because a high horse motor use more fuel at wide open throttle doesn't mean you have to pin the pedal every time you use it. A 300 will run 70 at 4500 rpm and sip fuel. Where as a 175 will have to be run hard to get there. Big props and big motors and low rpm
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

IMO you won’t save fuel with a small mota runin 70, gettin on plane, etc. A 225 or 250 would prolly burn no more fuel IMO than the small mota....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the opinions. I don't disagree with anything y'all are saying. I don't plan on running this thing at 70 all the time. I would probably run it hard at blast of, and back to weigh in. I had a 175 pro xs on a ranger r81 years ago. It was much heavier than this setup would be. I couldn't run the thing out of fuel in a day of fishing. It would run 67 mph loaded to fish. So if anyone has any opinions on setback, etc... for this hull I would appreciate it.

7. Member
    Sorry, the 20xrd hull....

8. Member
    Probably going into uncharted territory, everyone here buys the biggest motor they can afford and tries to go as fast as possible.
    This is the bullet fourm after all!
    That said the new 4 stroke is supposed to weight 475lb and put out 225 hp.

9. Member
    Yeah, I was a little nervous about even bringing it up here. I had to though, this is where all the pros are!

Looks like your pretty new. Welcome to BBC and hopefully the Bullet family. Buy as big as you can afford. Most tourneys, other than pro, allow even 300’s.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

11. Member
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You are talking about a BULLET. If you ever want to sell it you will have to price it as though it has no motor. A big motor will likely use less gas at moderate speeds than a little motor run hard. All these folks are trying to be kind and not hurt any feelings. What they are ALL trying to tell you as kindly as possible, what you propose is crazy.

Think this through before making a serious mistake. You will be stuck with a vastly under performing boat. To your original question, you won't find much if any info on a set up that has never been tried. Best of luck.

12. Member
    I’m personally running a lighten 300xs on a 20xd with 1 36v and 12v lithium batteries on board and my boat floats pretty good. I’m not saying you should buy a 300xs but by putting lithium it made a huge difference on how high the rear of my boat floats

Even tho I don’t understand why someone would put a 175 I come to realize over the years that just cause something makes sense to me don’t mean it makes sense to others. If you want to get a 175 get a 175. It should still be a nice lil rig.

13. Member
    The 175 Pro XS with lithium batteries would be a sweet setup, light as you could go, and probably drive like a dream. You could get away with 50ah lithiums for your troller which can be had in the 5-600 dollar range. They weight 15lbs a piece.

14. Member
    I appreciate all your comments. I agree with everything I've read here. The unknown, and the curiosity of this setup has driven me past turning back. Would anybody have any sort of idea on what setback I should run with such a lite motor on the back?

15. Member
    10-12"

16. Member
    Thank you sir, I was thinking 12"

17. Member
    14” with the 175

18. Member

19. Member
    From my experience the lighter motor the more setback you want. BUT with that being said the more setback you put the worst your holeshot will be. I had 10-12 and 14 on my boat and the longer i went the worst my holeshot got but the better my topend got. Every 2" i added i would gain 1.5mph.

Just food for thought.

20. Member
    I went from a 200 to a 250 and I use less gas. The 250 will sip fuel when running 50-60 where the 200 had to work hard to reach 70 if you don’t want a ton of weight in the back I’d switch to a 24v trolling motor to get rid of one battery. I ran 14” set back on my 200 on a 21’10 bullet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast