recent post sonar on or off

got a 998 and 1198 read on previous post about turning sonar off etc, both mine are conn , via eathernet cable both units have a trans, connected i sometimes use the function from 1198 at console to use one or the other transducer for both units when I do that should I turn the other sonar off ? I,m thinking being ther is a actual transducer CONNECTED that may not be the case. But hey I may be doing wrong Buy the way Wayne and Robert keep up the great work!!

If you have two or more units operating at the same time broadcasting sonar pulses on the same frequency, they will cross-talk when their sonar pulses overlap. To prevent that, you just turn Sonar OFF on one unit and share sonar from the other unit. That is a common practice for a bow and console unit when the trolling motor is deployed and you want your rear deck fishing partner to have sonar data to view.

When you have two units on the console or two units on the bow, you do the same with one of each pair so cross-talk will not be an issue.

Many installations are done as discussed in the other thread to have two displays getting data from a single transducer and no transducer connected to the other unit.

The functions are exactly the same----sonar data shared via Ethernet.

This is an example:
    An ONIX does not have MEGA Imaging and I did not have a transducer connected to the ONIX. I was getting MEGA Imaging via Ethernet from a SOLIX that does have MEGA Imaging. I can do the same thing with the ONIX transducer connected, but just turn off all the sonar frequencies with the ONIX and get them from the SOLIX. Ether way I do not loose any sonar viewing capabilities with either unit.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I understand all you posted back,BUT if i go into the console 1198 menu click on console transducer connect, also check the bow 998 to use the same transducer transom for both units all this done in the menu on the 1198. Do i still need to turn sonar off on the bow 998 or is this done internally? Just questioning because of a few post back by someone else you and Robert were TRYING TO HELP!! I hope I explained this better

You choose the sonar source for each unit in their individual Ethernet menus. If one unit's sonar source is not being used, the unit does not broadcasts any sonar pulses.
    Technically Sonar is turned Off without actually selecting to physically do it, otherwise the sonar pulses would still be broadcast and cause cross-talk.
    Good question.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Like Wayne and others, I've used dual SI units (bow and console) with their respective connected transducers. If you have both bow and transom transducers connected and pinging then there's a good chance you can get crosstalk. The other issue or con to me is when you share the same transducer between bow/console is having to change the Network settings everytime I switch positions on the boat because when I'm on the main motor and want to search I surely don't want to use the TM transducer....LOL. I'm not knowledgeable on the internal circuitry of these units to know whether they are protected from damage with no transducer connected but I don't think it's worth the risk and value the input from much more experienced users that offer their time and help in this forum.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

6. Member
    Finally found it Dougs tips and tricks 52 eathernet networking He doesn't mention going to the other unit and physically shutting of sonar if not using the transducer

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Like Wayne and others, I've used dual SI units (bow and console) with their respective connected transducers. If you have both bow and transom transducers connected and pinging then there's a good chance you can get crosstalk. The other issue or con to me is when you share the same transducer between bow/console is having to change the Network settings everytime I switch positions on the boat because when I'm on the main motor and want to search I surely don't want to use the TM transducer....LOL. I'm not knowledgeable on the internal circuitry of these units to know whether they are protected from damage with no transducer connected but I don't think it's worth the risk and value the input from much more experienced users that offer their time and help in this forum.
    I am not that knowledgeable either but I know from experience that it will damage some internals. I networked a 998 for a year without a transducer and didn't turn sonar off. It worked perfect networked with another unit but when I plugged a transducer up to it when I got ready to sale it and nothing. Only 2d worked. Had to ship it back for repair

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    I am not that knowledgeable either but I know from experience that it will damage some internals. I networked a 998 for a year without a transducer and didn't turn sonar off. It worked perfect networked with another unit but when I plugged a transducer up to it when I got ready to sale it and nothing. Only 2d worked. Had to ship it back for repair
    THIS.

Sonar OFF!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    THIS.

Sonar OFF!
    Robert, I listened to the advice of you folks....LOL I'm still using the ole reliable 998 at console for mapping with just the power connected and got the SONAR off. Maybe one of these days I'll get to do another update but can't get anything for the 998 so just going to keep using it until it fails or I do....LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

10. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    That sucker just might outlast us too Wes!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/