Banned

Shift cable retaining clamp

Motor is a 150 Pro XS. Regarding the retaining clamp (that swivels over the retaining pin and secures with lock nut)on the motor end of the shift cable, how tight should the nut be tightened. I know you are supposed to snug then back off 1/2 turn on the throttle cable but not sure about shift cable.

2. Member
    You should not loosen that nut. The locking lever swings on one end and is captured on the other end when properly closed...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    You should not loosen that nut. The locking lever swings on one end and is captured on the other end when properly closed...
    I had an issue the other day when loading the boat on the trailer. The shift cable popped off of the pin/clamp assembly and left me without gears. I reassembled and noticed that the lever was very loose on the shift cable end therefore I assume the nut needs tightened to keep the cable from coming off of the pin in the future.

4. Member
    What popped loose? The barrel that is locked by that lever, or the end of the cable that slides over the shift shaft linkage pin and is retained by a clip through the end of that pin??? Not sure about your specific motor, but my 200 pro xs is pretty kludged where the two barrels are retained by that lever. They have to be installed/positioned correctly before locking that retainer lever. One of the barrels locks the other in place, then the lever locks that second one in place. One of 'em out of position and nothing good will come of it.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    What popped loose? The barrel that is locked by that lever, or the end of the cable that slides over the shift shaft linkage pin and is retained by a clip through the end of that pin??? Not sure about your specific motor, but my 200 pro xs is pretty kludged where the two barrels are retained by that lever. They have to be installed/positioned correctly before locking that retainer lever. One of the barrels locks the other in place, then the lever locks that second one in place. One of 'em out of position and nothing good will come of it.
    It sounds like your 200 is very similar if not the same setup as my 150. The barrel stayed in place. The end popped off the linkage pin and the retaining clip was spun around 90 degrees. I tightened the nut in question up some to take some but not all of the play out of the retaining clamp assembly. It seems like the stud is showing 4-5 threads now after tightening.