Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin ECHOMAP Plus networking

If you have two EchoMap Plus units, one at the bow and one at the console, do they wirelessly share waypoints between each other in real time?

2. Member
    No. The wireless connectivity is for the ActiveCaptain cell phone application. Waypoints and sonar will be share via wired ethernet in next update.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    They doesn’t seem to be very logical since both units have the app and the ability to transmit wirelessly.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    No. The wireless connectivity is for the ActiveCaptain cell phone application. Waypoints and sonar will be share via wired ethernet in next update.
    So you can't connect to GVC-10 black box to share waypoints? Now wireless sharing would be cool through bluetooth. I wouldn't want to depend on a cell phone with spotty service to share wirelessly on large lakes and remote areas..

5. Member
    The logic of the ActiveCaptain app took me a bit to get a grip on, assuming I did.

If you had the two Plus units and an ethernet cable between them you wouldn't need AC to sync the waypoints. They would do it themselves. AC via wireless would then connect via one of the units to the network, not just to one unit. Waypoints already synced. It would have access to both units and would be a good way to back up the waypoints.

Without the ethernet cable, you could use AC with one unit and then the other and the waypoints could be synced that way.

It can get a bit complicated as multiple networks operate. These units are capable of wired ethernet, wireless ethernet, NMEA2000, and Bluetooth. I don't know how much "bridging" of what's on one network to another network takes place. Sometimes it may appear to be bridged since data from multiple sources can be displayed on one screen.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    So you can't connect to GVC-10 black box to share waypoints? Now wireless sharing would be cool through bluetooth. I wouldn't want to depend on a cell phone with spotty service to share wirelessly on large lakes and remote areas..
    You would share waypoints via GCV-10. AC does not require cell service. You could connect your cell phone via wireless to your home network. Then when on the boat you are connecting via wireless and bluetooth built into the MFD. Of course, if you don't have cell service, your phone won't have any notifications or text to show up on the MFD.

Going fishing now. Getting a bit of late start. Our crappie are wide open. Going to be a great Panoptix PS22 day. I'll check back tonight.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFo View Post
    They doesn’t seem to be very logical since both units have the app and the ability to transmit wirelessly.
    Lowrance and HB have WiFi/Bluetooth but neither one transmit wayoints wirelessly......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    Like I said, seems like something pretty simple. Can’t believe the network engineers can’t figure that one out. Of course if they did, then I wouldn’t have to spend $250 more for a port expander...
    Last edited by MoFo; 02-23-2018 at 08:03 AM.

9. Member
    What cable will we need to connect these via Ethernet? I looked up the marine network cables on garmins website but it doesn't show any of the echomap plus units as compatible.

10. Member
    Like I said, seems like something pretty simple. Can’t believe the network engineers can’t figure that one out. Of course if they did, then I wouldn’t have to spend $250 more for a port expander...
    They don't do this because then you would not be able to use the AC app at all. Devices can only have a single connection at a given time, so you would either be able to connect your phone to one of them, or the units to each other, but not both at the same time.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jshelton2006 View Post
    What cable will we need to connect these via Ethernet? I looked up the marine network cables on garmins website but it doesn't show any of the echomap plus units as compatible.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-10551-00

You will need the ethernet cable (length as required).....

and if you have Panoptix in the mix then you will need to get the network port expander.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/250#accessories
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kojimep View Post
    They don't do this because then you would not be able to use the AC app at all. Devices can only have a single connection at a given time, so you would either be able to connect your phone to one of them, or the units to each other, but not both at the same time.
    These MFD's support multiple connections at the same time. I have three units networked via ethernet for map, waypoint, and sonar sharing. Then I have NMEA2000 for the GFS10 and SteadyCast. I can connect my phone via wireless and also enable bluetooth so that phone notifications come up on the MFD. Then I can use the Helm function of ActiveCaptain at the same time to view any networked unit on the phone and have the video recorded at the same time.

Currently AC on the phone is the biggest limitation. The AC app on the phone does not currently support accessing the internet via the cell provider while the wireless connectivity to the unit is being used. It would be neat to fix that and add a browser to the MFD. But then, what about the fishing?

The MFD's I'm speaking of are not the Plus units, but when the new software comes out and allows them to do ethernet, then I would expect the same to apply.

13. Member
    These MFD's support multiple connections at the same time. I have three units networked via ethernet for map, waypoint, and sonar sharing. Then I have NMEA2000 for the GFS10 and SteadyCast. I can connect my phone via wireless and also enable bluetooth so that phone notifications come up on the MFD. Then I can use the Helm function of ActiveCaptain at the same time to view any networked unit on the phone and have the video recorded at the same time.

Currently AC on the phone is the biggest limitation. The AC app on the phone does not currently support accessing the internet via the cell provider while the wireless connectivity to the unit is being used. It would be neat to fix that and add a browser to the MFD. But then, what about the fishing?

The MFD's I'm speaking of are not the Plus units, but when the new software comes out and allows them to do ethernet, then I would expect the same to apply.
    Does anyone have an idea when this update is supposed to come out??

14. Member
    1st quarter of this year.
    FYI- do not connect the ethernet cable until the update comes out. I did, had an issue with quickdraw, had me in the wrong location. After calling Garmin, I was advised to unhook the cable, problem went away.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    1st quarter of this year.
    FYI- do not connect the ethernet cable until the update comes out. I did, had an issue with quickdraw, had me in the wrong location. After calling Garmin, I was advised to unhook the cable, problem went away.
    Ok, thanks.

I think this can be confusing and that applies to me too. If I want reliable sharing of maps, sonar and waypoints GVC-10 network box with marine grade RJ45 ethernet cable allows you most complete solution. Seems to m it optimizes the marine experience while on the boat to me. Are there AC attributes sure but when I'm on the water and I'm at the helm to mark a waypoints offshore and I want to be assured everything executes automatically on my bass boat I'd opt for the GVC-10 route. AC seems like one more thing I have to juggle while on the boat. Now sans a Garmin network black box then AC seems like a cool tool as long as you have cell service on the water.

17. Member
    If your transferring waypoints with active Captain, you do not need cell service. All the phone, or device is doing, is acting as a transfer tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    If your transferring waypoints with active Captain, you do not need cell service. All the phone, or device is doing, is acting as a transfer tool.
    Thanks, good to know but you can't map share if map sharing is important to the boater. Additionally, I can see AC being a good buddy tool fishing teams and buddies.

19. Member
    I’m having trouble finding it, but I was reading another thread a few days ago and there was mention of an auto sync feature for the two units running active captain on the same boat. Supposedly coming with the next software update. That would eliminate the need for an Ethernet cord, for me anyways.

I’m having trouble finding it, but I was reading another thread a few days ago and there was mention of an auto sync feature for the two units running active captain on the same boat. Supposedly coming with the next software update. That would eliminate the need for an Ethernet cord, for me anyways.
    MoFo if you plan not to use Garmin's Ultra HD mapping I agree. However, if you do I don't think you will be able to share mapping with AC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast