Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decisions decisions decisions.....

Fellas, I’m looking to get a 819 in the near future and have been planning on getting a Yamaha. Well we all know the situation with those. Problem is my local credit union is running a boat show promo with really low interest rates through March 3rd. If I wait on a Yamaha I miss the promo, now I have to decide Mercury or higher rate. whats the Phamily think? Am I over demonizing the proxs?
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONECASTAWAY View Post
    Fellas, I’m looking to get a 819 in the near future and have been planning on getting a Yamaha. Well we all know the situation with those. Problem is my local credit union is running a boat show promo with really low interest rates through March 3rd. If I wait on a Yamaha I miss the promo, now I have to decide Mercury or higher rate. whats the Phamily think? Am I over demonizing the proxs?
    Are they subject to have another promotion in the next few months?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Are they subject to have another promotion in the next few months?
    once a year usually in February. As long as economy goes up I imagine the rates will go up as well.

4. Member
    I just got the 819 with the pro xs like it so far but only have a few hours on it. My buddies is 2 years old and he hasn’t had a problem yet

5. Member
    Have had mine for 4 yrs with no trouble. If you don't want a 2 stroke, look at the Verado.

6. Member
    Get the Pro XS and don't look back. I went from a SHO back to a Pro Xs and don't regret it at all. I had a lot to problems with my SHO and not a single thing with the XS.

Just remember they all can have issues. If you do go with a proXs (which is a great motor) and you have an issue down the road its not the end of the world. Just don't want you to have buyers remorse if you don't get the sho and have an issue.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

8. Member
    You better check if you can lock in the rate for the time it takes to build the boat. Some only lock in for 30 days. You can't get the loan until you get the serial numbers and that's not until a week or so before the build. Atleast that's how mine worked but I would tall to them first. Second, is this a boat you will keep for a long time? If so, get what you want. If you have to wait until next February so be it. They might come out with something for the 19 models that you like better or maybe you could save up and step up to the 919. One thing you don't want to do on a something that expensive that you plan on keeping is settle.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    You better check if you can lock in the rate for the time it takes to build the boat. Some only lock in for 30 days. You can't get the loan until you get the serial numbers and that's not until a week or so before the build. Atleast that's how mine worked but I would tall to them first. Second, is this a boat you will keep for a long time? If so, get what you want. If you have to wait until next February so be it. They might come out with something for the 19 models that you like better or maybe you could save up and step up to the 919. One thing you don't want to do on a something that expensive that you plan on keeping is settle.
    I asked the branch manager about build time several times and said it wouldn’t be a problem.

I plan to keep it for 10-12 years at least. My thought is whether going with Mercury is really settling? I’ve asked around a good bit and a lot of people say no. Hardly no one has said “absolutely not, do not buy the Mercury”

10. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Not sure how Phoenix is about it, but maybe Suzuki would be a good fit.
    Lots of pros went that way this year since they couldn't get a sho.
    I own a sho and would consider it if I got a new boat.

11. Member
    I would go with the g2 best hole shot as fast as the mercury and power steering I have a sho I’m going with g2 next plus best warranty I’ve not had any issues with my sho love it but would like to be able to steer the boat easier when at wide open

12. Banned
    2 stroke is loud and noisy at idle and any time, if that doesnt bother you go for it, if you want to be able to talk boat to boat while idling you wont like it.

I use a lot of oil, seems like about a gallon a tank possibly if on wake lakes running around much, I havent kept track enough to really be sure.

Thats what I dont like about mine and why Id rather have a 4 stroke.

13. Member
    I asked the branch manager about build time several times and said it wouldn’t be a problem.

I plan to keep it for 10-12 years at least. My thought is whether going with Mercury is really settling? I’ve asked around a good bit and a lot of people say no. Hardly no one has said “absolutely not, do not buy the Mercury”
    To me, yes, if your giving up what you really want but, I do think you would be happy with a merc 4 stroke as well. Guys seem to like the verado just like the sho guys. Plus you have the new 4 stroke coming out. As long as you go 4 stroke I think you will be alright but that's just me. If your thinking pro xs, there's no way i would do it

14. Member
    I have no major issues with Mercury Pro XS engines and I have had 5 of them. Maybe I am just lucky.

15. Member
    Just wait and get the SHO like you want. I had a sho then went to Merc now I'm back with a sho. I love it. Buyer's remorse really sucks.
    2021 caymas cx21

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFBOY View Post
    Just wait and get the SHO like you want. I had a sho then went to Merc now I'm back with a sho. I love it. Buyer's remorse really sucks.
    thats my advice, I wanted a sho settled for a merc... cant keep myself from watching the classifieds still

17. Member
    I don’t know the difference in interest rates but would it make enough that you could save the difference in payments/loan to repower eventually if your not happy? Just a thought
    2014 Phoenix 920 pro xp / Merc 250 pro xs

18. Member
    Honestly I’m not picky as long as it’s dependable. Originally I wanted a Mercury then I read some of the horror stories and it got me thinking about a SHO. I then realized that I would not have to buy oil to fish and would have more room in bilge with no oil tank which got me excited.

My main concern is reliability, the name on the back doesn’t matter. I’ve asked several times on here and Facebook and have not heard too many people not recommend the Mercury. Just as many people questioned getting Yamaha. I think I’m going to get mercury and save the money.

For the the guys who recommended the G2 I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea except for the added cost. Shelling out an extra 2,000+ dollars for the SHO was tough enough the extra 5,000 extra for G2 doesn’t fit the budget.

Thanks guys for the input!
    Last edited by ONECASTAWAY; 02-24-2018 at 06:47 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff from Iowa View Post
    thats my advice, I wanted a sho settled for a merc... cant keep myself from watching the classifieds still
    Is is it because you’ve had trouble with Merc or just want a SHO?

20. Banned
    Is is it because you’ve had trouble with Merc or just want a SHO?
    I wanted a sho, got impatient and bought a merc. its loud and noisy and it did actually burn a piston on me last trip out but that can happen to any.. I just like the idea of a quiet engine and not having to shut off to talk to another boat as I idle by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast