Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

trailering covered or not covered?

I have a 920 that I'm taking from TN to Florida in a few weeks. Has anyone covered their boat for long trips? I'm going to put saran wrap over the top cap and take off the windshields. Should I do anything else? Is there a good change to get marks on the boat from the cover?
    Thanks!

2. Banned
    I towed with mine from iowa to falcon and back for my first time using my cover on the road and I didnt notice any marks, 2980 miles round trip. Ill be using it most of the time from now on.

I think people saran wrapping are not tightening the ratchet straps enough, you cant get a pinky in between my cover and my boat the way I install it and it for sure isnt moving. I can see it in my rear view camera and its solid.

I did have mine modified to fit around my 52 ultrex, 360, dual graphs etc and he reinforced it at every location it touches like the prop, cleats, window etc...
    Last edited by Jeff from Iowa; 02-22-2018 at 10:27 AM.

3. Banned
    Trailering with a cover will kill your gas mileage. It acts like a big parachute. If you do make sure you put something over the trolling motor prop or it will wear a hole in your cover. I have learned that the hard way.

4. Member
    I have towed from NC to NJ with the cover on and no problems at all. Not to sure about the gas mileage though. The cover fits so nice and snug I don't think it affects it to much. I would think its more aerodynamic with the cover on though.
    Either way, long trips its always covered. Plus it keeps all of the road grime off the seats and carpet.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Trailering with a cover will kill your gas mileage. It acts like a big parachute. If you do make sure you put something over the trolling motor prop or it will wear a hole in your cover. I have learned that the hard way.
    The phoenix covers vacuum down to the boat. They don't parachute up like others. I tow with my cover all the time and it hasn't caused any marks. One thing I always do though. After I tow on nasty roads I wipe the cover off with a towel and I wipe of the inside where the cover sits on the side of the boat. That keeps the road grime and sand from staying in there and scratching the boat. Only takes a couple minutes
    Last edited by kry29; 02-22-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: "Road urine" stupid auto correct lol

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    The phoenix covers vacuum down to the boat. They don't parachute up like others. I tow with my cover all the time and it hasn't caused any marks. One thing I always do though. After I tow on nasty roads I wipe the cover off with a towel and I wipe of the inside where the cover sits on the side of the boat. That keeps the road urine and sand from staying in there and scratching the boat. Only takes a couple minutes
    me also
    TrackerUser

7. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    The phoenix covers vacuum down to the boat. They don't parachute up like others. I tow with my cover all the time and it hasn't caused any marks. One thing I always do though. After I tow on nasty roads I wipe the cover off with a towel and I wipe of the inside where the cover sits on the side of the boat. That keeps the road urine and sand from staying in there and scratching the boat. Only takes a couple minutes
    I agree, when I picked up my new 920 last week and drove home 3 hours I was very impressed with the cover and how well it fit and my gas miliage did not suffer. In the past I hated towing with a cover on but this Phoenix cover fits like a glove with windshields on
    Last edited by Phoenix Jim; 02-22-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

8. Banned
    Good to hear about the covers. It has been years since I trailered with a cover but it would cup in and killed my gas mileage.

I just towed mine from the plant in Tennessee to Virginia Saran warped the boat no scratches and with my 2017 f250 platinum diesel running 80-90 mph getting 16.2 mpg . On the way down there truck was getting 17 mpg so cover or no cover only difference was the boat and trailer. Towed with cover once with out Saran Wrap and spent hours wet sanding and buffing . Boat is galaxy mist. Oh ya stopped every hour and tighten the straps when it got scuffed up. this time I only tightened them once.

Definitely wrap with plastic wrap. Otherwise the newer style covers are great to tow with. Mine is towed 90% covered.

I tow mine covered all the time. I just returned from a trip to Okeechobee. 8 hrs each way. No problem. All i do is wipe it down with my Eagle one Wax as You Dry. I remove the windshield. I've seen no scratches or rubs. I tow mine all over the southeast. Sam Rayburn, Guntersville, Chickamaunga, Seminole, and Big O. My GMC 1500 gets about 13mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfisher69 View Post
    I just towed mine from the plant in Tennessee to Virginia Saran warped the boat no scratches and with my 2017 f250 platinum diesel running 80-90 mph getting 16.2 mpg . On the way down there truck was getting 17 mpg so cover or no cover only difference was the boat and trailer. Towed with cover once with out Saran Wrap and spent hours wet sanding and buffing . Boat is galaxy mist. Oh ya stopped every hour and tighten the straps when it got scuffed up. this time I only tightened them once.
    Depending on your trailer tires, that's an unsafe speed. Majority of ST tires aren't rated that high. Just something to be aware of

13. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    I have a 920 that I'm taking from TN to Florida in a few weeks. Has anyone covered their boat for long trips? I'm going to put saran wrap over the top cap and take off the windshields. Should I do anything else? Is there a good change to get marks on the boat from the cover?
    Thanks!
    That's what I do and no marks - you are good to go with the shipping wrap.

14. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I tow without saran wrap with cover on everywhere I go. Just got back from Chick and leaving Cincinnati OH for Okeechobee March 2. Around 16 hr drive coming up.
    I've never seen any rub marks / scratches on my Galaxy mist. Boat was wet dog dirty on drive back from Chick 4 days ago. Was raining when I put cover on, and all is good.
    Tows like a dream at 80+ mph. I guess I'll try to slow her down now. Thanks xranger.

15. Member
    His 920 must be more aerodynamic than my 721 my diesel only gets 13 to 13.5 pulling with cover

16. Member
    I’ve pulled mine from Illinois to Florida twice a year for 3 years no marks I may have to trade my Chevy for a ford he’s getting lot better fuel milage Than me
    Last edited by john721; 02-23-2018 at 08:24 AM.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    I tow without saran wrap with cover on everywhere I go. Just got back from Chick and leaving Cincinnati OH for Okeechobee March 2. Around 16 hr drive coming up.
    I've never seen any rub marks / scratches on my Galaxy mist. Boat was wet dog dirty on drive back from Chick 4 days ago. Was raining when I put cover on, and all is good.
    Tows like a dream at 80+ mph. I guess I'll try to slow her down now. Thanks xranger.

Id speculate guys needing saran wrap is equal to guys who cant load their boats on the trailer. They arent tightening the straps tight enough and or they are putting wax or something on their boat that the marks are showing up in.

Theres no way Im going to be saran wrapping my boat to go to and from a lake, thats just plain crazy talk.

Id have a layer of the backer material installed all the way around the cover hanging out before Id do that.

18. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I'm not aware of anyone saran wrapping (shipping wrap) their boat for short trips. I do it for longer trip especially in the winter with treated roads. That stuff dries into a grit and sandpapers your boat anywhere the cover shifts the slightest. I see no relationship between loading a boat on a trailer and covering the boat. I assume you were just trying to be cute??

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    I'm not aware of anyone saran wrapping (shipping wrap) their boat for short trips. I do it for longer trip especially in the winter with treated roads. That stuff dries into a grit and sandpapers your boat anywhere the cover shifts the slightest. I see no relationship between loading a boat on a trailer and covering the boat. I assume you were just trying to be cute??
    Whats cute about it? Clearly you didnt comprehend what I posted.

The relationship is simple if you dont put your cover on right it will blow all over and rub...

If you dont drive your boat on the trailer as designed or put it in the water to the designed depth your going to have issues loading...

20. Member
    Just a note about the company (Outer Armor built by Commercial Sewing) that makes the Phoenix covers. My original (2016 920)cover had issues with the white lettering on the side of the cover, after a little coordination with Scott Gordon they shipped me a new over and paid for the cost of shipping the old cover back to them--they have the Phoenix attitude of support and service to the customer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast