Yamah 250 SHO impeller change.

I need to change the impeller on my 250 SHO. I have never done this before and am looking for any advice and any pitfalls to avoid. Seems like all I need to buy is the impeller and gasket if the housing is in good shape. If there is anything I'm missing, please let me know.
    Thanks
    X

2. Member
    YouTube

Simms Yamaha and buy the kit as it will contain everything you need. Its a good idea to change out everything since it’s a pita to do.
    Make sure to get a ratchet strap to help hold up the lower end on the reinstall. Might put the motor in reverse before you start as well. That way you can turn the prop to line up the spine. You could also leave the motor in neutral, remove spark plugs and rotate the flywheel for the same effect.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Just did mine a couple months ago. Have someone to help you align things. If you can mark the position of the shaft when you pull it out it will make putting it back in much easier. I got grease on the gasket and it kept slipping out of place. Don't think I'll ever pay anyone to do it again, same with the oil change.

5. Member
    Thanks For the info. There are no videos on YouTube showing impeller change on a SHO, only the F-series 250 4-Stroke. Looking at the schematics, they look to be very similar. I don't plan on replacing the whole waterpump assembly, just the rubber impeller. $23 vs $123. I will post how it goes for folks who may have the same questions later on.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by SkeetRJ View Post
    Thanks For the info. There are no videos on YouTube showing impeller change on a SHO, only the F-series 250 4-Stroke. Looking at the schematics, they look to be very similar. I don't plan on replacing the whole waterpump assembly, just the rubber impeller. $23 vs $123. I will post how it goes for folks who may have the same questions later on.
    The F250 is the same procedure.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,