1995 V-200 looses power slowly then dies

Hey guys, i have a mercury 200 carb that is giving me fits. I just had new needle valves and seats installed and that fixed the flooding problem. also had the oil mixing system bypassed for fear of no alarm and blown motor. When i got it back from the mechanic he stated that he had mixed the gas a little heavy and to run that out and change the spark plugs. I ran as much out as i could stand because it was running so poorly(wouldn't even plane out), then i changed the spark plugs. it immediately seemed to be running perfectly but after i opened it up to full throttle it ran great for about 30 seconds then started to die down like i was letting off the throttle and eventually died. i turned the key off then tried to start it it took about 10 cranks to start when it usually starts at the turn of the key. i opened it up and it jumped up on plane and then after about the same amount of time it did the same thing. I ended up draining the tank and putting fresh gas in it. It's been raining so much that i've not been able to return to the lake to test it again. one thing I've noticed is that the primer ball feels different since he worked on the carbs it used to get hard as a rock and stay that way but now it never gets hard it feels squishy if that makes sense and if i pump it let go and pump it again quickly it seems to be empty. anyone know if these symptoms sound like a bad valve in the primer ball or if someone has any ideas i would really appreciate any help. It runs smoothly and has so much power when you first open it up im thinking its loosing prime and might be the fuel pump but i've never had this problem and this is the first boat I've owned in years so i figured i would ask some people who would know. thanks fellas for any knowledge you can give.
    Also if any one has ant experience with chopper props i was wondering if I am switching from a laser 2 to a chopper 2 will i need any special kit for the switch or can it just be switched out. I've switched them already and the washers and everythingcause it fit but just afraid to run it without asking somebody because it just looks so darn weird compared to the big barrel of the laser 2

2. Member
    I would check primer bulb and hoses and carbs to make sure they all are working properly. My bulb always pumps up hard. If it never does the seems something is wrong, either needles are not setting, bulb is malfunctioning or fuel line/system has an air leak or worse a fuel leak, which could be the pump. If your pump is like mine, the fuel pump rebuild kit is cheap and easy to do yourself. Is the primer bulb new or the same one before repairs.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Replace primer bulb,and if it has quick release fitting goin In to motor,id take it out and run gas line straight to pump ,if those 2 doesn't do it it's prob pump. All easy fixes

4. Member
    Had another thought that it could also be a tank/anti-siphon/vent problem. If gas tank is not vents my properly then as you use gas it will create a vacuum and restrict flow after running for awhile. As stated above you can run motor off a portable tank to isolate problem to motor or tank.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements (at the top of the Forum), and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Make sure you have done EVERY SINGLE item recommended in the below link:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I'll wager float heights are wrong.

Mixing oil rich, even at 25 to 1, shouldn't foul plugs that quickly...

7. Member
    Sorry guys i lost my username and password. i changed the primer bulb thought i would test it out yesterday did the same thing but i noticed when i was putting gas in it was not venting so I'm going to check that out. hopefully an easy fix. anyone know a serial # search that is detailed i looked it up to the best of my knowledge and i got that it is a 1996 200hp. just want to make sure before i order the service manual.(0G336677) was on the top freeze out plug and i believe the same on transom bracket, just couldn't make out the last 3 numbers on that tag. Thanks for the great responses i hope the venting will fix it if not i will be pulling pump after i get the manual.

8. Member
    OK, so today i pulled the fuel pump and pressurized it and no leaks from the hole it the back. then i pulled the pick up line out of the tank and the screen was clear on it. I also tried testing the coils cold and hot. they tested good cold but when hot a few of them had intermittent gaps in the firing sometimes as long as 6 seconds. i will try post the video of the coil tests from my phone.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial# 0G336677
    Model# 1200412SD
    MERCURY 200 L (2.5L)
    DOB: 8/15/1995

Parts info can be found at: www.mercurypartsonline.net

Also, Please review and follow Post #5 (then confirm each step you took).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Hey thanks Don and every one that replied, great advise. The fuel pump looked exactly like the picture in the post Don sent me, maybe worse. i cleaned it rebuilt it then verified that the fuel lines were new and replaced the fuel filter all at once. took it out yesterday and it ran great until it started trying to over heat. the tell-tale wasn't working and a light came on at the console but no alarm. now that i think about it the alarm doesn't beep at start up like it did so i need to figure that out now. should the impeller start pumping as soon as this motor starts or does it wait for thermostat to open? how hot do these heads get because i'm reading 180 with laser but every thermostat that i have looked up opens at around 150. Not really sure about the console light best i can tell it says "high stat" but it is faded and can barely see it.

11. Member
    how long since last w/p always start there
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    how long since last w/p always start there
    Nov. 2017 was when he put the impeller in. I just started it with muffs and the tell-tale opened up after a few minutes but the water was very hot. i'm thinking one of the thermostats might be sticking and that head is getting hot and throwing the light.

13. Member
    if it is truly overheating need to address it pronto
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDMAXX View Post
    Nov. 2017 was when he put the impeller in. I just started it with muffs and the tell-tale opened up after a few minutes but the water was very hot. i'm thinking one of the thermostats might be sticking and that head is getting hot and throwing the light.
    The water coming from tell-tail will be 143 degrees plus, it is normally very hot. You could pull hose from the thermostats and see if each one is producing water when the motor is warm or remove thermostats and test in a pan with a thermometer. I remove and clean my thermostats once a year at least but I fish in saltwater. A little acid cleaner and they are usually good to go.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    The water coming from tell-tail will be 143 degrees plus, it is normally very hot. You could pull hose from the thermostats and see if each one is producing water when the motor is warm or remove thermostats and test in a pan with a thermometer. I remove and clean my thermostats once a year at least but I fish in saltwater. A little acid cleaner and they are usually good to go.

that's good info. i was actually just reading the service manual were its says to test with thermostat tester and was wondering if i could just use an old pot. not familiar with the acid cleaner i'll check into it. thank you for the pointers.

16. Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

The yellow light to the left of the reset breaker was the one that lit up. is anyone familiar with this console or know where to find a manual for a 1995 Pro-Craft V-200 DC.

17. Member
    The acid cleaner is just something lick CLR cleaner or tub / soap scum remover, any acid cleaner will work, it removes scale build up on the thermostats from saltwater drying on them. Yep, you just put them in a pot with a thermometer and watch them open and close. Do not put them in the bottom of the pot, suspend them on a string. The bottom of the pot will be hotter than water. They will start opening around the temp they are rated at but will not fully open until about 15 degrees warmer.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay