05 Trim Rod/Only One Retracts

2005 225 HPDI

Doing some Spring maintenance and while I had the motor propped up, I noticed that only the left trim rod will retract without the pressure of the motor. They both go up fine. I attempted to fill the fluid (I don’t think it’s really needed since some poured out) but need to pick up a new syringe. Am I staring at a seal replacement or something in the near future? Thanks.

2. Member
    How long did you hold the down trim button? On some motors it takes a bit of time before the trim pistons start to retract. It is not unusual for one to retract first, followed by the other a period of time later. One may have to be fully retracted before the other will start to move and even then there may be a lag in movement of the second piston.

If everything is hunky dory when the motor is in use I don't think you have a problem.

Perfectly normal as stated above.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Thanks for the help. One would go down directly after the other so no worries it doesn’t sound like.