class C motor home generator replacement

So My sons and I bought a 1986 Jayco 25ft Class C Motor Home. Of course it is not without issues most of which we can fix replace or discard. One big issue we're having is the on-board generator. It runs but does not put out any electric. We have gone through all the recommended tests to try to narrow down the faulty part but the parts are too expensive. My question is where do you find a replacement generator or do you just get a portable generator and use it outside of the motor home. has any one ever replaced one?

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    cant beat an Onan..can do a websearch... available all over. Any RV dealer can help you ..

3. Banned
    You begin by Googling or Binging RV Generators. You might be surprised at the cost of a new unit. I would be looking for a generator service center. The problem could actually be a minor problem--or not.

think a new part is expensive?? price the exact same Gen Set New. take to a dealer and have them test and don't guess! yea its going to cost a few buck$.. but if it isn't worn out and dealer can get it serviced and useable worth it. portable set will be heavy and how are you going to haul it, much less lift it etc? and portable large watt units are not quiet, due to tiny mower style mufflers. I bought a 8500 watt portable for th9e home, when power goes out, never did use it for that, why?? cost of parallel switch and cost to install new breaker and required extra items and electrician to do it. so its used in shed to power air compressor. shed has 110 v lights etc. but to long a run for HD wire for compressor, after already had elec done in shed yrs before got portable gen set. Now for Gen et had in our class A . Took rig to a Onan Dealer for service, oil, gas filter , tune up and de carb, both heads come off and they clean the carbon off And reinstall with new gaskets, rebuilt carb, and went thru it totally. Purrs like new . it don't have a lot of hours total, but like every thing else, it isn't used everyday and sits in driveway, maybe a week long camp/ fishing trip once a year. a week end in woods deer hunt. and once in awhile wild hair go out and sit n booth and drink a cup of coffee ( brought out from house) lolo. And in reality , actual yearly use does not justify the cost of having the Rig. And also A travel Trailer which sits also. Wife's wild Hairs.. today she actually remarked about selling the camper.. like DUH??? Winter as in past, power off, freezing cold. old Kerosene heater in middle of living room to keep house warm.. So stay in Home during a few days no electric..>> The campers winterized , so didn't even mess or go inside them, cant add water, just freeze up pipes and black/grey tanks, not worth the damage lolo. Besides the eons long hassle of camp grounds always booked ahead for weekends, mid week fine, but wife still working for 2 yrs before full retirement. once many yrs ago I took camper & Boat to lake for a week, she come there after going home 1st to check up, then to lake site.2 days of this she said PIA! wasn't worth the extra time or miles involved. And with all the above, her attitude, has created me not to do a damn thing to them any more for up keep , wash/wax etc.. waste of my time lolo.. so they sit in drive way at least Propane don't go bad read this> http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-generator-FAQ.html

Last edited by Bass AHolic; 03-04-2018 at 05:01 PM.

5. Member
    I appreciate the few of you who offered some advice. I went ahead and ordered two parts that we think are a problem. We will put them in tomorrow and I will report back. hopefully this will help some one else. To be honest if this does not fix it, I will do what Bamaman and Bass Aholic said and find a service center to look at it and see if it's worth saving.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybas View Post
    I appreciate the few of you who offered some advice. I went ahead and ordered two parts that we think are a problem. We will put them in tomorrow and I will report back. hopefully this will help some one else. To be honest if this does not fix it, I will do what Bamaman and Bass Aholic said and find a service center to look at it and see if it's worth saving.
    So, what did you discover was wrong? I had the same problem once and it was the circuit board on the gen-set that was bad. New one was less than $100 and we was good as new!