70s and Striker 7 combo ... or 93sv Plus?

I’m 57 with a bad back. I’ve gone from bass boats, to a deep vee, and am now in a Tracker Stick steer. You sit in the front seat to drive the boat, and fish from it, so the locators are right in front of you all the time.

It’s not the ideal bass fishing setup, but I can tolerate it much better than any other type of boat I’ve tried. And I chase anything that’s biting, from trout to crappie to stripers.

Current setup is a Terrova with iPilot Link, a Humminbird 698 SI KVD, and the factory 4 inch Lowrance.

I just got a very nice bonus at work and my birthday is coming up ... so new fishfinder for me. The Humminbird doesn’t do me much good as their mapping still sucks for Arkansas, at least compared to Garmin. Besides the 698has a tiny screen that is worthless when in spot screen mode.

I’m sold on Garmin, and in fact have a 70s that I kept from my last boat. I like a dual unit setup, one for mapping and one for locating fish. Where I live are 10 small semi private lakes, I’d love to use the auto map feature plus adding in all the brushpile coordinates. I also fish a lot of places that aren’t mapped at all.

I’m considering two potential setups.

1- The 70s (for mapping) side by side with a new Striker 7sv. I would connect the 70s to the US2 on the Terrova.

2- Sell everything and go with one EchoMAP Plus 93sv.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warhawk; 02-21-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

2. Member
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I think they say that the Striker units do NOT have mapping....so if you want maps, then the Echo Plus wold be great....i have the Plus 93 sv and impressed with it....

What is your budget???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    I have a Striker 4 on my kayak (love it), and my last boat had a pre chirp 93sv and the 70s for mapping only. You are correct, the Striker does not do mapping, but it will store waypoints. I compare it to a blank sheet of paper with locations marked on it.

Budget isnt a concern for this. But I did think of another question.

I have a few files with the GPS coordinates of brushpiles. Would it be easier to load these into a Striker or an EchoMAP Plus? I have never loaded external data before.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'd go with the Echomap Plus and if nothing is wrong with the other unit, use them in some kind of capacity instead of selling....

6. Member
    After thinking about it more, I’m going with the EchoMAP plus.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

7. Member
    Right decision
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    Can anyone tell me how to load waypoints from a .kmz (google earth) file onto a 93sv?
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Save that Google Earth file to a KML then got to KML2GPX.COM amd convert it to a GPX, then import the GPX into unit.

Or use Garmin HomePort. You can import a KML file into HomePort, then export either to GPX or proprietary ADM.
    Garmin Pro Team