Vision 110s sink like a rock

This year it seems my vision 110s are sinking like a stone. Water temps have been between 36 and 45 and they are sinking no matter what. Two of them seem to be worse than the brand new one, but the others are still in great shape and don’t have any signs of cracks/busted seams.

I really started jerkbaiting last year and they didn’t sink like this. I’m using 12lb fluoro, not sure if 8lb would make a significant difference in suspending or not. My Spros, rapalas, and duos either slightly float or slow slow sink with this setup. I add suspendstrips to get them right. I guess my biggest question is what do you do to combat the quick sink? Don’t want to be forced to switch to mono just for the megabass to suspend right. Thoughts?

2. Member
    Send them back to Megabass

3. Member
    I pretty much throw 110s exclusively and have had that same problem this year. Don't really know why though, I finally chalked it up to something weird going on with the water since we had some extremely cold temperatures this year and a lot of ice. That's probably crazy but Ive never had this problem before even with the exact same bait. Was interested to see what they would do when the water temp started rising but haven't been in a couple of weeks!!

4. Member
    110's just too expensive for me. I got snarled in fishin line multiple times this past weekend because fish were relating to the cedars and our cedars are covered with fishin line. I use Spro and love the new Jackall Rerange. They work just fine for me.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

5. Member
    I love the mcsticks, wish they had a few more colors though. I guess I’ll wait to see what they do when the water warms up.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    I pretty much throw 110s exclusively and have had that same problem this year. Don't really know why though, I finally chalked it up to something weird going on with the water since we had some extremely cold temperatures this year and a lot of ice. That's probably crazy but Ive never had this problem before even with the exact same bait. Was interested to see what they would do when the water temp started rising but haven't been in a couple of weeks!!
    cold water is more dense which should cause a slower rate of fall.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    cold water is more dense which should cause a slower rate of fall.
    From a purely scientific point, this is true, but for some reason jerkbaits sink more when it is cold and less when it is warm. There is another mechanism at play here that I am not 100% sure about. My guess is that when the baits are cold, the plastic literally shrinks making the displacement volume of the bait less. Even though the water is more dense, the change in density of the bait is greater than that of the water so that it sinks more and the exact opposite happens when it is warmer.

For a test of these jerkbaits, fill your tub with about 60*F water and see what happens. If they still sink, you got a dud. (if you changed hooks and split rings, it may be your own doing.)
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    From a purely scientific point, this is true, but for some reason jerkbaits sink more when it is cold and less when it is warm. There is another mechanism at play here that I am not 100% sure about. My guess is that when the baits are cold, the plastic literally shrinks making the displacement volume of the bait less. Even though the water is more dense, the change in density of the bait is greater than that of the water so that it sinks more and the exact opposite happens when it is warmer.

For a test of these jerkbaits, fill your tub with about 60*F water and see what happens. If they still sink, you got a dud. (if you changed hooks and split rings, it may be your own doing.)
    Lot of trouble for a $25 jerkbait.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    I’m using 12lb fluoro, not sure if 8lb would make a significant difference in suspending or not.
    Absolutely! You are adding a larger diameter and therefore mass of material with density greater than water (1.75 vs 1.0) which will pull the bait down. I am, however, making the assumption that though sinking it is slow enough that the larger friction force on the 12 lb is negligible compared to the 8 lb.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

10. Member
    if they are sinking rapidly, there must be a leak and water is invading the cavity. While fluro sinks and provides enough downward drag to cause a 110 to sink, it won't be like a chevy (like a rock). All the ones I've had sink like this were allowing water in....changes the buoyancy dramatically.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    Yep, less expensive options out there that actually suspend (and catch fish).

12. Member
    Spro McStick 95 and 110 for me. Great hooks and close to perfect on suspension. Doesn’t matter which brand you like tuning is key. I test mine in a clean plastic tub. Fill with water and ice and a thermometer. I tune mine for ice out so I like 42-45 deg water temp. Put one in and watch it for a while until it cools down. If it floats add a lead dot between the first and second hook if it’s a 110. Just behind the front hook on a 95. Re-test if it sinks start removing a portion with a sharp knife. Remove until it suspends perfectly. If it sinks I file some of the plastic off the bottom evenly. This works for me. In 40 deg water it is crucial that they suspend perfectly. If they float up even slowly the fish tend not to follow up to bite. Slow sinking can be ok, but if your fishing over brush or rock you will lose baits. Throw on 8-10 fluorocarbon line. 110s on a ML casting outfit 95s on ML spinning.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    i own a couple 110s before I get flamed for this next statement....

Check out the Academy (h2o express) version of the 110! Just threw it for the first time....and I was definitely impressed! Has great action and casts good! No megabass paintjob...but megabass doesnt have a white color I like anyway...but aside from the paintjob, I dont think the vision 110 is $20 better

14. Member
    Agreed. Spro quality is great for a great price. Hooks are top quality also.