Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat Registration number location - Ohio

OK Ohio guys...

Just read thru the book on placing my Reg numbers on the new boat.. 3" high, contrasting color and visible is all it says.. What is the consensus - on hull or on top cap?

Funny - I keep trying to envision where I see everyone's and I realize I don't pay that much attention to it...

My last boat they were on the top cap but they were there when I bough the boat...
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

2. Member
    Nearly all i see near Cincy is on the hull just below rub rail right in front of console
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught!

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I can’t recall the last time I saw them on the top cap of a bass boat. Not saying you could never get called out on it, but if they are visible, above the waterline, from anywhere at right angles to the boat, you’re going to be in a sizable majority.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Just glanced through the boat pics in the Ohio Bass Club Forum and it looks like most of them are mounted below rub rail. Most you see in Indiana are below the rub rail also.

5. Member
    below rail 4 inches behind numbers I believe
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I went through this when I bought my 20 trx in late 15. I've been checked and never had any complaints to where I put mine.

Screenshot_20180221-195509.jpg

I'm gonna put mine below the rub rail on the hull.... I don't want them on my top cap anyway but you would think they would be more visible there...

I'm having Iguana Grafix make me up 3" high white letters - The book say "contrasting" so I could use silver against my dark hull butI'm going white - No sense giving those guys any more reasons to annoy me...
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

8. Member
    I have a Ranger bass boat and my numbers are on the hull, a bit below the rub rail. I've had on the water checks by both the Coast Guard and the DNR/DoW. They each confirmed this placement met regulations.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    .... if they are visible, above the waterline, from anywhere at right angles to the boat .....
    I call that the safest. I think your plan regards 'contrasting color' should work well, also.

That 'contrasting' thing can be somewhat subjective. Last boat I had was bright red on dark blue hull - one water officer in MI seemed to feel that wasn't gettin' it done. OH, TN, AL, GA didn't seem to have problems readin' 'em - nor a MI officer in the past 6 years. This boat I went white on green - made life simple. Another thing some get a little strung out on is when the characters get a little too "scripty"....rules do say "block".
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-21-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I call that the safest. I thing your plan regards 'contrasting color' should work well, also.

That 'contrasting' thing can be somewhat subjective. Last boat I had was bright red on dark blue hull - one water officer in MI seemed to feel that wasn't gettin' it done. OH, TN, AL, GA didn't seem to have problems readin' 'em - nor a MI officer in the past 6 years. This boat I went white on green - made life simple. Another thing some get a little strung out on is when the characters get a little too "scripty"....rules do say "block".
    A couple years ago, there were a couple local watercraft officers who got their jollies by pulling over any bass boats on tournament day and writing them up for not having block letters.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    A couple years ago, there were a couple local watercraft officers who got their jollies by pulling over any bass boats on tournament day and writing them up for not having block letters.
    Yeah - I have heard that as well... I went with WHITE BLOCK letters on a BLACK hull - if they have issue with that, well..... I guess I would have to pass the issue to my attorney.......
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

12. Banned
    I also have a black hull and I used white block letters, I don't want the hassle.

My boat has a steep flair and you can't read #'s on it so I put them on my small center console and got called out by FMP , just a warning ticket .

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    My boat has a steep flair and you can't read #'s on it so I put them on my small center console and got called out by FMP , just a warning ticket .
    Figures... we try to do the right thing... just can't win sometimes :-)
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

15. Member
    Have had mine on top cap just in front of rope cleat for goino on 20 yrs and no issues
    Last edited by smokin'dually; 02-22-2018 at 08:56 PM.

The back of the decal has a picture of proper placement. Make sure the numbers and letters are 6" from the registration decal.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

17. Banned
    I’m not sure I’ve ever saw them on the top cap. I know I wouldn’t want them there. Just below the rubrail is where 99.9% of them are

18. Member
    In Michigan here is how the law reads:
    Number must be painted, decaled or otherwise affixed to both sides of bow
    Number shall read from left to right
    Number must be at least 3” high BLOCK letters
    •Number’s color must contrast with its background
    •Letters must be separated from the numbers by spaces or hyphens
    •No other numbers may be displayed on either side of bow
    •No other numbers may be displayed on either side of bow

Many of the nicer boats do have script decals that do look good and you may get away with them for a long time but, if the patrol boats are looking for probable cause to stop and see if you have been drinking that is a rock solid stop in court.
    If you have any question, there are voluntary safety inspections held by Coast Guard Aux and Sheriff marine divisions where you can get it checked. If you have your safety inspection form with you it would be really hard for another officer to write a ticket. I always have my safety inspection sticker renewed each year. In our area (Ottawa County Mi) The sheriff patrol will not stop for safety inspection alone. They need a reason to stop you.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino1991 View Post
    Nearly all i see near Cincy is on the hull just below rub rail right in front of console
    ^^^that^^^

20. Member
    They will also bust your chops in Ohio if there isn't enough separation between the letters and numbers. An officer explained to me that is so they can read them through binoculars at high speed. Otherwise they blur together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast