Thread: Lean on Me

Lean on Me

Please advise:
    I have 2006 Nitro 482 powered by the Mercury Optimax 115. As the boat starts to lower from plane, it leans heavily to right (mostly) but will also lean left. In addition, it will lean at low speed. I can help it some with trim, but have to constantly adjust. I tried a whale tail but it just keeps the boat on low plane and still leans. any help is much appreciated.

2. Member
    My 2008 Z6 does the same thing, if I recall this is kind of a common issue with these boats.
    Dustin Montgomery
    Oskaloosa, IA

Its common on all boats, adjust the weight you have stored for the most commonly used scenario, 1 person 2, 3..... the prop turns and that adds torque that one way or another weather your powering up or slowing down.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Mine ('07 482/115 Opti/no foil) will do it at certain trim settings at very low speeds. Once on plane and trimmed out, however, it levels out fine, carries the nose and tracks straight with minimal steering input from me.

I generally have more crap than I need in the boat, but do try to be conscious of the crap balance fore/aft and port/starboard.
    Who controls John Gill?

Both Nitros of that era that I owned did that. Once the bow starts to come down, trim up. You will get the right pace and amount of trim needed to make it stop. This provided your boat weight is not way out of kilter.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll work some more on the balance. However, I was hoping a prop change (4 blade) would fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by fASTGLEN View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll work some more on the balance. However, I was hoping a prop change (4 blade) would fix it.

Balance and seat time will fix it.
    I have a 06 482 and did the same thing until I learned how drive it.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

8. Member
    I have an 07 482. It does the same thing. I have an se300 hydrofoil because I fish at night and want to keep the nose down at 10mph. This doesn’t help, nor will a prop. Move weight back in the boat, trim up as the boat gets on plane. It simply can’t balance on the V of the hull up front until it is up on the pad all of the way. It is annoying but you will get used to it, and it isn’t going to flip over.
    I have a boat.

a 4 blade will help but on smaller hulls u gotta especially pay attention to weight. My z21 does it to some degree. I have to counter balance my weight with batteries when solo, if I add a co angler it will lean a little bit. Moving a battery again helps in this scenario.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    My boat does the same thing during when getting on plane. Keep the motor trimmed down until you’re just about on plane then start trimming up and it should fix the issue. It’s due to the direction of rotation of the prior and the angle of the boat hull during your hole shot
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp