Thread: Monzingo Lake

Monzingo Lake

Living in MN, this is the time of year that I start wishing for open water and am getting sick of sitting inside my clam on a frozen lake. I'm looking to escape to somewhere with the ice gone and literally stumbled upon some good cabin deals at Monzingo Lake. Never fished it......heck, never heard of it. Does anyone have any info on how good fishing may/may not be around the last week of March. Also any info on the quality of the Monzingo Lake Recreation Area cabins would be awesome. Honestly, the fishing could be complete crap and I'd still be happy to drive the 6.5 hours from home to simply float on the water with a pole in my hand.

2. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar
    In the past this lake would give out 30+ lbs fish in spring tx weekly. BASS even had it one year as one of the top 100 lakes. Last few year not as often does it give out that much on a regular basis. At the hay day of this lake it had grass growing 20 to 30 feet from the bank, pockets full of lily pads which made for some of the best frog fishing any where. They drew it down to work on the city water pumps and killed off most of the pads and grass. Last summer I was on it and the grass is starting to make it's come back.

Would it be worth the trip at the end of March? YES There are a lot of brush piles, trees in 20 feet of water and a jerk bait getting anywhere close to them and fish on. There still huge fish caught in this lake. It also has good quality walleye and crappie.

I have never been in the cabins but hear they are up to day and clean, boat ramp with in walking distance. Very easy walk to water edge with boat slips. And fire pits to set at and watch the sun go down.

I know it's a little further dive for you but Table Rock is my favorite early spring lake. There is a lot more locally to do. when not fishing. In Maryville there's nothing.

Keep us updated on what your thinking and we'll help you out all we can.

3. Member
    Go the extra miles and go to Bone Creek, holy crap the weights there last week were incredible!

4. Member
    Thanks for the info! I am really not interested in anything else to do, so Maryville's lack of entertainment does not bother me. Good to know it's not a "bass only" lake. While I will definitely spend some time trying to battle largeys, I would thoroughly enjoy a good meal of walleyes and/or crappie while there. Now the only task is making sure I can secure the time off!!

5. Member
    I had that same exact thought a few years ago and went ahead and made the trip. It's well worth it!! 2 years ago my buddy and I cracked em. We had at least one over 5 each day for 4 days, and very solid numbers of fish to go with it. Last year wasnt as good, but we did get one just under 7 on a spinnerbait in one of the many small creek arms. The cabins are amazing and are literally right next to the boat ramp, Maryville isnt anything special but its got everything youd need (walmart, gas stations, places to eat, etc). I think there are a lot of tournaments that start on that lake the end of march and pretty much every weekend for the rest of spring and summer... so the earlier you could go - if its not frozen over - is best to avoid that pressure.

6. Member
    Well I booked my trip for March 25th. I'll be looking for fishing reports closer to that time! Thanks guys.

7. Member
    Getting ready for my extended weekend trip to Mozingo this weekend. Does anyone have any reports? Water temp?

8. Member
    I heard 40 degrees yesterday. We have had rain south of Maryville, but I think they may have missed some of it. Little cold front should hit Friday, but fishing in the 50's will be a walk in the park for you. Good luck post some pics.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

9. Member
    Day 1 (yesterday) was a bust. I think all this weather has made the fish tight lipped. I threw every trick I know at the bass and crappies, and even tried bobbering up for bluegills in the evening. No action whatsoever. I was marking fish in some of the timber suspended halfway up in 15-20 feet of water. Assuming they were crappies. Anyone hear of people having any luck?

10. Member
    There are no fish in this lake. ��

11. Member
    smaller inline spinners fished right off the bank 1'-4'sometimes shallower the better always works for me when it is cold and tough . No experience on Mozingo but It should work everywhere.