Surge Brake Operation

SO for my second topic of the day; I notice that the surge brakes are all the way back when hooking and unhooking in my shop; however the boat still rolls ok. I would have thought that it being stuck back would have the brakes locked up? My 08 the surge receiver pushed itself back out. Yes there is a grade backing up into my shop, so does the solenoid on these allow the receiver to push all the way back without applying fluid pressure to the brakes?

Also I have a lot of slop and banging starting and stopping. more than I recall on the old boat so wondering if this is normal on newer models?
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

2. Member
    Check the fluid level. If empty or low, you may need to bleed. If empty check for leaks.

3. Member
    forgot to mention fluid is full
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

4. Member
    Are you lights, etc, connected when you notice that the trailer backs/moves?

5. Member
    yes all the lights including reverse work.

6. Member
    If your vehicle to boat electrical connection is fastened, then you should be able to move the trailer without interference from brakes as the solenoid will let the brake fluid bypass the master cylinder when you are in reverse. The position of the tongue in the housing slide is irrelevant when the fluid bypasses. Disconnect the electric and try to back up a slope. If the brakes kick in then and won't let you backup without smoking the trailer tires, then everything is working correctly.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    SO for my second topic of the day; I notice that the surge brakes are all the way back when hooking and unhooking in my shop; however the boat still rolls ok. I would have thought that it being stuck back would have the brakes locked up? My 08 the surge receiver pushed itself back out. Yes there is a grade backing up into my shop, so does the solenoid on these allow the receiver to push all the way back without applying fluid pressure to the brakes?

Also I have a lot of slop and banging starting and stopping. more than I recall on the old boat so wondering if this is normal on newer models?
    With surge brakes, it is normal for the tongue to depress when you back up into your shop. What is happening is the back-up solenoid is allowing the fluid to bypass, so your brakes don't lock up in reverse, but the tongue will still be pushed back from the force of the truck backing it up. However, IT SHOULD return to a fully-extended normal position within a short time after you unhook from your truck.

The slop and banging when you start and stop has me worried, though. Hydraulic surge brakes shouldn't do that. It sounds like there is an issue with your brake master cylinder. I guess it could also be an issue with the solenoid if it is stuck in the open position so that no brake fluid pressure is being exerted on the brakes.

8. Member
    The slack and jarring is caused either by low fluid, air in the lines, a faulty master cylinder or a damaged damper shock. I would start by bleeding the lines, which is a pain but not hard. I just replaced my damper shock and it's not a huge deal if you know a few tricks. I am glad to walk you through it.

On a final note, I have heard more than a few people who were having trouble with surge brakes found that some previous owner had just disabled them at the hub. Be sure that you have pads and that everything is working at the hub.

My current Ranger had badly neglected brake components when I bought it, and after swapping parts around and bleeding fluid about 6 times (and polishing off about 27 beers total), mine are working great. It just takes eliminating issues one by one.

9. Member
    I'll be glad to chat with you about it if you want. PM me for a phone number.

he Ranger Trailer Department always said to make sure the tongue was pulled all the way out after unhooking. You can pull it out by hand, if need be or chalk the wheels and easily pull forward before unhooking. Ranger also always said that when you hook-up, make sure to push the small lever under the tongue to be certain that the brakes are free.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Before you do anything else, disconnect the power lead and try to back your trailer up an incline. If it backs up without skidding, you need to work on your brakes.

12. Member
    Good Info, thank you! This solenoid on the new one seems to work different from the old 08. It's going back to dealer tomorrow to have the punch list addressed, will try the back up test when I leave for dealer.

13. Member
    Don't be shocked if the trailer brakes have a defect. I've seen several Ranger trailers brand new that were defective. Now is the time to find the bugs if you got them.

14. Member
    Hijacking a little knowledge from this thread: where do you fill the system with fluid and how do you bleed it? The brakes on my 06 have not work since I bought it. Tongue slaps back and forth all of the time and I wanted to get it fixed this winter.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

15. Member
    2006 is Tie Down eng. Google LP70 actuator, should be a pdf explaining what you need to know.