2001 196 Elite ---SETUP HELP

Hi all,

I joined the Champion community almost a year ago now when I purchased my 01' 196 with an 06' 200 Opti, and I absolutely love it, its an awesome tournament boat as I fish both College Series (FLW & BASS) at the University of Oklahoma. I posted a picture and video on the Champion Boat Owners page on FB, got some feedback that my motor is running a little too high. I noticed that I was throwing a lot of water on the top end and couldn't really figure out why, but now it makes sense. Im not getting enough lift. I've heard some different prop to pad numbers but I was wondering if I could get some more input before I start moving the motor this weekend. Also if y'all could also give me some direction on how to move my motor (probably a dumb question) but I've never had to move one so I've only seen videos.

Thanks for the help!

2. Member
    First, what prop are you running, now? You mentioned 5200rpm on FB. Is that at wot?
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

3. Member
    Its a 24 P Tempest Plus, it was on there when I bought it. I have only ever had it WOT one time and I didn't think to look at my RPM's. I never run it wide open

4. Banned
    you won't get any lift until about 4500-5000 rpms and only with a decent prop.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    As far as moving the motor to set prop to pad height, we need to know what jack plate you have. Manual? Hydraulic? Brand? What is your current prop to pad measurement?

6. Member
    I have a 10 inch manual SlideMaster on it. I dont know my current measurement

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Get it set to 3.5" below pad. I do not know how to adjust that one, but our gang will. Is your prop un-dinged? Nothing attached to the transom that could disturb the flow of water to the prop?

8. Member
    My 196 likes to run with a higher setting,I have a 3.3 200 yamaha(with phase kit from Hydrotech) and 8 inch jackplate, I run a 26 tempest and am 2 1/2 below pad. Just watch water pressure, the 24 you have should be real good on that set up.

Loosen the bolts on the side of the jackplate that hold the halves together then a big bolt in the center in the top if I remember right is used to move the half attached to the motor up and down. adjust accordingly to which way you want to go.
    I would start at 3.5 below pad and watch speed, RPM and water pressure when making adjustments. you will be surprised what 1/8" will do.
    the 196 aren't speed demons but its a 68mph boat all day set up right
    prop wise I would look for a 25p Tempest plus

10. Member
    Why do you want to move your motor? You stated that you never run wide open. You will never get that boat lifted out of the water without being WOT. Just trim the motor down a little and go fishing.

11. Member
    I concur with Luke. I used a floor jack to support the motor under the skeg with a towel for cushion, loosen the 4- side bolts and use the jackplate bolt to adjust in 1/8- 1/4" increments. I have a 25 Tempest Plus and it produces a great hole shot and top end. My pad to prop is 3.25". You could have your 24 Tempest recupped by a prop shop without having to purchase another.
    2001 196 Elite- 200hp Optimax