Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    Everyone on BBC anymore is so pro Lowrance and Humminbird. I try to push Raymarine, these units are just steps above IMO.
    Its funny how some folks will tell you your opinion or choice is the wrong one!!

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Snoopy, What happened??

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Snoopy, What happened??
    that just shows the truth hurts

4. Member
    Let's see some sidevision shots of fish and shadows from structure. My unit was either defective or it's not possible with Axiom. I had one sidevision shot of a fish for entire season of use. There's a lot of positives with the Axiom but Raymarine is not close to Lowrance and Humminbird in sonar/imaging performance. You can say that is my opinion, but I've actually owned and used the Axiom and compared to other manufactures. In fact, I've had someone else contact me stating the same poor imaging performance as me. Also, a few retailers I've called and asked have stated the same thing. Raymarine, don't get upset and start defending yourselves like you have in past posts, improve your product please. Thanks

5. Member
    Ice just left the lakes where I am in IL... As the weather and my travel allow, I’ll post more pics.

The OP asked for pics and thats what I provided. Guys then want to offer their “opinions” and revise original posts when I fail to quote them. I’ve never once said Raymarine is the absolute best - hands down - end of story. What I’ve done is offer images to let BBC’ers evaluate. “Best sonar” is 100% opinion. We can talk Q factor coefficients and anything else all we want. At the end of the day what matters is “does the unit fit the need”. I will say that LH3 is an unbelievably powerful and intuitive operating system. Believe it or not, that’s a huge part of Marine electronics.

I can can assure you that Raymarine (as should all manufactures) is improving product everyday and I will continue to defend against opinions with images, screen shots and facts.

I’m sorry that the product didn’t perform as expected for you. I can guarantee I am in more Bass Pro, Cabelas and other locations more often and I talk to more people about marine electronics than 99.99% of BBC.

Axiom 9RV with Sonar, Side, Down and 3D for $1,650 is day in and day out an absolutely great product.
    Does it do everything - No
    Does anyone - No

Some guys on here will go 10 pages on whether Zoom or SK has the best shade of Green Pumpkin.

Do I need to a better job filtering out the “noise” - Yes
    Will I continue to address opinions - Yes

Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    Let's see some sidevision shots of fish and shadows from structure. My unit was either defective or it's not possible with Axiom. I had one sidevision shot of a fish for entire season of use. There's a lot of positives with the Axiom but Raymarine is not close to Lowrance and Humminbird in sonar/imaging performance. You can say that is my opinion, but I've actually owned and used the Axiom and compared to other manufactures. In fact, I've had someone else contact me stating the same poor imaging performance as me. Also, a few retailers I've called and asked have stated the same thing. Raymarine, don't get upset and start defending yourselves like you have in past posts, improve your product please. Thanks

6. Member
    Well, I am sure its YMMV with ALL the electronics but after smallykiller's post I gotta comment on the other side; not to argue with him, I am sure he had exactly the issues he is talking about. I agree, you must have had a defective unit, or bad transducer placement, or nicked cable, or something else.

I have owned and used Lowrance and Humminbird both and tweaked them and played with them, etc.

I have taken a ride along with Axiom's on board ONCE, set to FACTORY DEFAULT. And I am in the process of ordering my new Axioms NOW!

I had planned to wait until my new boat later this year, but after what I saw in my own personal experience on the water (sk's was opposite and I hate that but is why I am being clear about my experience; folks need to know that is not the norm), I could not wait and will go through the hassle of moving between rigs later just so I can get the Axiom's sooner!

Are they perfect? No
    Are any of the others? No
    Are the best thing out there for ME based on my own personal hands on experience? ABSOLUTELY

Tight lines everyone!

Jig34 said, "What I’ve done is offer images to let BBC’ers evaluate."

I looked at them and evaluated them.

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Im sure they will be plenty of pictures once it warms up!!

Thanks for staying interested in the Axiom

In my opinion, I think that Raymarine should be dedicating all of their R&D towards improving the sidescan technology. With the Axiom units that I had, this was by far my biggest issue. The image quality was very rough but most of the time, you could see SOMETHING was there.... just with very little detail. Trying to differenciate a brush pile from a stump, in a large stump field in 10 ft of water - that simply couldn't happen on sidescan during my experience. Fishing places like Santee Cooper with this lack of detail CAN make the difference in a bad/medicore day, to have an amazing day.

With that being said, the downvision and sonar were ok but I didn't get to see what I needed/wanted. For realvision 3D, it was kind of cool when I could find large schools of baitfish and could see them suspended in the water column. It was extremely difficult to see if there were quality sized fish in/around that school of bait. Could this be a great feature for crappie fisherman?? I would think so, as well as fishing offshore saltwater. I was also able to see dots for all the leaves and dying grass floating around the lake/river during late fall last year.... Raymarine has spent a ton of time on marketing both the quad core processor and the Realvision 3D feature. Neither pro's or weekend warriors are going to spend a day scanning an unfamiliar body of water using realvision 3D (For bass fishing). If you have high quality side viewing capabilities, you can see these schools of bait. Maximizing your time on the water while scanning is critical!! To find the best structure, know what kind of structure it is, and if there are fish holding on the structure can best be seen through high quality side scanning. The dots on realvision can't show that kind of detail. I also didn't think it was very beneficial in less than 15 ft of water...

I know I know, Realvision 3D is a tool.... But in my opinion, this tool would be better utilized if the other tools (specifically sidevision) were much better quality. Small changes like moving the sliding bar to adjust intensity, gain, etc to the right side or bottom instead of the left, so you don't block the whole screen with your right hand while sliding the adjustment bar (or have an option to place it where you want it). Some will say, "Just use your other hand to do that." That's not the right answer. Look at all the videos out there on youtube and watch how many people use their right hand while using these units. This is only 1 example, and yes, it's nitpicky, but it's frustrating trying scan in some waves and your finger slips a tad bit and then all hell breaks loose with that sliding bar. For those that have used the touch screen Axiom, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, you'll agree with it soon if you ever change the sensitivity.... I would have loved to have seen videos of a true Raymarine professional walking through all the different options and give explanations. Instead, most of the videos are marketing the Axioms in a building during simulation mode or made with shows like Fishing University, where it seems like they try not to show the Raymarine screen. Am I missing something??? Raymarine talks about being user friendly, but it seems like once you buy into the marketing scheme, all we had left for resources are Jig34 and Hickory Legend. Both of you guys are great and full of information but every boater out there isn't on BBC....

I'm not trying to put Raymarine down by any means... Maybe I'm wrong on all of this but this was my experience when I had the Axioms. Being different is completely fine, but when you have to log into a forum to find out if speed 60 or 70 at 3-4 mph is what you should use when scanning or 120, just doesn't make sense to me. If someone had a 27 ft+ Key West they could take way offshore, sure, I would recommend the Axiom and suggest they get the Flir camera stuff too. But if a bass fisherman was to ask for my recommendation, I can't see myself not suggesting something like a Humminbird Helix 9 SI with mega imaging for $300 less than the Axiom 9. This is just my honest opinion.
    Last edited by Timbo_06; 03-08-2018 at 09:52 PM.

10. Member
    Thanks for the feedback Timbo - I see you are from SC...if you are at the Classic next week stop by the Raymarine booth (ask for Curt). I'd like to talk a little more if you have time.

I agree that one of the biggest things we need (and I tell Marketing this all the time) is 1,000 1-2 minute YouTube tutorials on how to use Raymarine. That library is growing (http://www.raymarine.com/about-us/video-gallery/), but a "YouTube'r" that can knock out 30 video shorts a day would be ideal. I hope to get with Timmy Horton this year and film the "nuts & bolts" of set up and use.

A lot of the comments that I read seem to have an aggressive expectation of 3D. It's not a silver bullet and I NEVER use it as a standalone screen for fishing. Running it full screen to scan a point, creek channel, ledge, etc yes, but rarely alone looking for fish. Not saying it can't be done, but I agree that Side, Down and Sonar show fish better. That said, it's another view or piece of the puzzle that can help. In all honestly, it's still new technology that guys need to learn. I still see people folding the H'bird catalog explaining SideImaging to people, so 1 year in I don't expect everyone to fully embrace RealVision 3D yet.

Neither pro's or weekend warriors are going to spend a day scanning an unfamiliar body of water using realvision 3D (For bass fishing).
    * I have a different view here. Most Pro's spend a fair amount of time scanning and finding "the spot on a spot" is critical. Also, most weekend warriors fish a lot of the same water and would be in much better shape if they spent the time scanning. I do agree that scanning for a day isn't practical, but RealVision 3D will help getting dialed in. Also interesting that you recommend a Helix 9 Mega for guys to scan at 3-4 mph if they won't scan with RealVision 3D. Once "mega" blows out (typically under 5mph) you have to use 455kHz - compared to Raymarine SideVision scanning 320-380kHz. My experience is that anyone with the patience to scan at 4mph has the time and patience to scan with RealVision. That said, I understand your point.

Again thanks for the honest assessment - much better that the shoot from the hip Q coefficient and my shade of blue is better than yours feedback BBC is known for.
    Last edited by Jig34; 03-08-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jig34 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Timbo - I see you are from SC...if you are at the Classic next week stop by the Raymarine booth (ask for Curt). I'd like to talk a little more if you have time.

Again thanks for the honest assessment - much better that the shoot from the hip Q coefficient and my shade of blue is better than yours feedback BBC is known for.
    Yes Sir, I’ll be up there and I’ll for sure stop by. I still have a few ideas and improvements fresh in my mind that I seriously think the quad core processor can perform that could seriously set it apart from other devices. Just my thoughts but the reason people might be so aggressive on the RealVision 3D is because of how it’s marketed... Quick example is looking at those headlines of Lane winning in the other thread. What is underlined and hyperlinked??? It’s pushed hard and when expectations don’t meet reality....it’s not good. Again, lots of videos could/would explain this new feature but you 2 can’t be everywhere. I never knew those videos were on the website you linked.

I truely hope my opinion didnt come off the wrong way to any Raymarine guys. My experience on my lake is obviously not going to be the same for someone else with different features in the Lake. The Axiom might be absolutely amazing with rock or Kentucky Lake ledges. I wouldn’t know if it was because we don’t very many of those features here. My experience was primarily on Santee Cooper where stumps are everywhere, brush piles are gold, and “stop signs” along migration routes rule the land since the good grass is gone. Who knows, 7-10 years down the road, RealVision 3D might be the real deal answer and makes side view nonexistent. Raymarine is already ahead of the game in the 3D category. I just wished Jig34 and Hickory made YouTube videos! Hickory has the marketing potential. Hell, Hickory just made me buy a new Mustang PFD, even when I didn’t need it.
    Last edited by Timbo_06; 03-08-2018 at 09:55 PM.

12. Member
    Your opinion didn’t come off wrong. An honest review that left the door open for us to improve.

Take care and see you at the Classic

13. Member
    Also, while I appreciate the kind words, I'm not sure the world is ready for the Hickory / Jig34 YouTube revolution.

However...Hickory, you have a GoPro??? We could knock a ton of videos out in a couple days...

14. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I can get a hold of some!
    Maybe we can throw some stuff together.
    Or we can get Tim Horton show linked up. I watched it this morning and it was pretty good, Part 1 of 2 on the Raymarine.

15. Member
    I have complained on this forum about my poor experience with the Axiom 9RV's imaging. I am not trying to insult or put the Axiom down, for I am not brand loyal or a fan boy of Humminbird. I use whatever product helps me catch fish. Raymarine needs to improve there product to show me as a fisherman fish. I could never get my Axiom to show structure in any detail and most importantly show fish on side imaging. I just had my new Helix 10 Mega out this weekend and the results speak for themselves. I didn't even play with a setting. I could drive around on flats and see fish. I could drive down the sides of the river and cross off all the areas that had no fish allowing me to save hours of time otherwise fishing dead water. It didn't even matter what frequency I used, Mega, 800khz, or 455khz. All showed what I needed to see, the fish. If Raymarine can improve their side imaging to be even half as good as Humminbird, I would possibly move back to the Axiom. Humminbird is very clunky to use in my opinion, but it shows what's most important to me as a fisherman, fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    You see the two bridge pylons? I could barely see them on my Axiom. The humminbird clearly shows the bridge and even shows if there's a fish hiding on the down current side. If my Axiom 9RV was just defective, please show me side imaging shots of fish or any structure you have. I don't believe it's possible with the Axiom. That's the truth, I tried.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12