Banned

1997 175 carbed. Fuel sheen on water and wet carb bowls.

1997 Evinrude 175 carb motor. Starts good and runs good. No VRO, been mixing my gas the last 10 years. Lately been noticing the color sheen on the water at start up and whenever I stop to fish. Sheen continues a long time. Pulled cowl and air box at home. Most everything behind air box is wet with fuel. Having someone squeezing primer bulb (not running) and searching for fuel leaks. See nothing moving. Start motor and look again. Nothing visibly flowing. Fuel pump, carbs, fuel rail piping, filter etc. No liquid moving But.........everything around the carbs is wet. All 6 carb bowls are wet around the bowl gasket area. No weeping from the "ball bearing" areas.

Inside I wet enough that I have a few drip of mix dripping from upper rear port down onto lower unit.

Guess all six need new bowls and gaskets?

2. Member
    you would be correct on replacing bowls and go ahead with complete carb kit.

3. Member
    I noticed that the carb bowls and bottom of the cowling on my 97 175 Fast Strike were always wet with fuel and never could see where it was leaking. I decided to put a carb kit and new float bowls on each carb. When I disassembled the carbs every single float bowl was visibly warped and had hairline cracks. Boat runs great and no leaks now.

4. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Same issue for me. I've rebuilt and replaced the carb bowls twice. Within a couple of trips the carbs are wet with fuel, but can't find a "visible" leak anywhere. She doesn't sneeze, and runs like a scalded cat, so I ain't messing with it.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

5. Member
    What is a reasonable cost amount to rebuild all of the carburetors? I have just been told by a mechanic that all of the carburetor bulbs on my engine are cracked and they all need to be rebuilt. He told me it would cost about $800.00 to do them all. I think this a very high price.

Anyone got any advice or know what a reasonable price would be?

Don't forget to take the high speed jets out of the old bowls and install them in the new ones!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgy507 View Post
    What is a reasonable cost amount to rebuild all of the carburetors? I have just been told by a mechanic that all of the carburetor bulbs on my engine are cracked and they all need to be rebuilt. He told me it would cost about $800.00 to do them all. I think this a very high price.

Anyone got any advice or know what a reasonable price would be?
    It is a pretty easy job to do as long as you don't take them all off at once. Take your time there is nothing magical to it. Bowls and carb kits for all 6 will run you ~$270.00 The first one will take you about 1 hour to learn how to do it. the remaining ones will take about 1/2 hour-45 mins. So in is total he's charging you about 1 hour shop labor per carb plus parts. Not really out of the question as far as pricing goes.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    Don't forget to take the high speed jets out of the old bowls and install them in the new ones!

9. Banned
    Thanks guys. Who should I order the parts kits from?

10. Member
    boats.net usually has the best prices.