Want to maintain a good hole shot

I’ve been trying to find the right prop, I’m looking to maintain a good hole shot and just lower my RPM a little

I have 92 Astro 17SCX (She’s heavy) with a 135HP Blackmax.(no jackplate)(and not sure the pad height). Currently running a Michigan Apollo 4 blade - 14.375 dia. 18P SS Prop (has some small dings). Very fast hole shot, funs about 47-49MPH at 5800 rpm, that’s loaded up with gear and passenger. It spins quicker at about 6000 rpm when I’m alone. Not sure how much higher the RPM’s would be if I the prop fixed and the little dings removed. Now it’s an old motor, runs strong but I want to make sure it stays that way for a while. I’m not really looking for top speed, just want a good hole shot and lowering the rpm down to 5400-5700 range. Thinking it would better for the motor. Not really sure what WOT rpm’s are for this motor either.

Other props I’ve tried – sorry I don’t have the RPM reading
    High Five 21p – actually a bad hole shot, very slow ran about 50-51MPH
    Tempest 23P – Ran very fast but very slow hole shot and loaded I couldn’t even get on plane ran about 54-55MPH
    Laser II 22P – Ran pretty quick but slow hole shot and loaded I couldn’t even get on plane ran about 53-54MPH

Was thinking of going to the 4 blade 20P Apollo. Would going up to 20P be too much? How much RPM would I loose going up 2 pitches but these blades have zero damage. How much hole shot would I sacrifice?

I like the 4 blade, just wondering if there is also a similar prop in a 19 pitch. I should also say i was leaning more towards Michigan Wheel props because of the price and from what I read they are more designed for take-off and less about top speed. I'm in Canada so we get hit pretty hard by that exchange rate.

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    You should drop 200 rpm's for every inch gained in pitch. I'd try a 21" trophy if you can find one.