Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    The reason for black hulls is because its easier to hid scratches. That is the reason black has caught on. A simple permanent black marker will hide almost any scratch. With a white hull you don't notice them as much, but still see the gouges. Other color hulls are hard to match. Even a fiberglass repairman will tell you black is the easiest fix.

All I’ll ever own. Never had any negatives about owning a black hull. My current boat is a 2007, and the boot still looks nice.
    A few scuffs, but nothing more than a white would have. The fish don’t seem to mind it either.
    Too each his own.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Banned
    What does nature do in most all animals? Dark tops and white or lighter bottoms! I like a white hull or grey.

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Just picked up new boat last week and it will be the first black Hull I ever owned. It was the only choice with colors I ordered
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    ive heard white hulls spook clear water fish easier. mines white seems to fish just fine.

6. Member
    Hull on my boat is painted like a school of shad

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Hull on my boat is painted like a school of shad
    You be onto something there! You better patent it before someone else does!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I have had black hulls for last 12-14 years. If it's a trend it's a long trend. I have a place on Fork which is full of stumps and it does not mess up my boat anymore than it would any other color.
    My '06 Nitro came with a black hull bottom. Black and white on top.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    Had a white hull on my previous boat. Every nick on the corners shined like a diamond in a goat's ass. I have a black hull on new boat, and while currently, I have very few nicks, they just don't show up. If you bass fish, your boat is gonna encounter objects in water that will scratch it. That's why I switched. Above my hull, white is the predominant color.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

10. Member
    I think black does look better. That said, for many years I had a white bottom boat and a basstracker. Most of the time I catch fish a long way from the boat but over a number of years I notice I get more at the boat bites in the tracker. When I went to buy new, I went with a dark grey hull that catches less attention. I've had bass busting shad literally right under my TM.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    First boat had medium gray hull, 2nd had silver flake hull....Current one has black hull. All decided at the time I was ordering...simply because I liked the color combinations. No difference in fish catching....

12. Member
    black hulls matter

13. Member
    i think black is a good base for metal flake colors - the mfg ends up not having to use as much flake when using black.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

14. Member
    I've owned black, white, grey, and even had a Viper that was silver metal flake EVERYWHERE. Loved that boat. On numerous occasions I had bass that were hooked actually swim into the boat on their initial runs. For solid color hull my favorite would be grey.

15. Member
    I think Allison Boats still does not produce any hulls in black.

Not sure the reason(s).

Equal opportunity boat builders
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

17. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I wanted a black hull, if I ordered a new one tomorrow it would also have a black hull.

18. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I'm old school, I like white. Once I discovered Pro Teck wax and sealer the scum lines just wipe off leaving absolutely nothing behind.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Dont know what all you guys are calling a trend...Ordered my new Ranger in 2012 with a Black hull. Matched my color scheme better and it hides the scratches, scum lines and water marks better in my opinion.
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    I think Allison Boats still does not produce any hulls in black.

Not sure the reason(s).
    They are not trying hide stress cracks and waves in the gelcoat as was mentioned earlier.

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast