Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Daiwa Zillion SV TW

What's your opinion?

Curious, I looked it up on TW. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa...page-CWSZ.html

I noticed there is a Wired 2 Fish review, if you didn't. While I take those with a grain of salt, it's maybe better than BBC, where you will get lovers vs. haters, like Ford vs. GM. One thing really puzzled me, and that is the bearings, which are listed as:
    (4CR+4BB) + 1RB
    I know what the 1RB means, and what the 4BB means, but no idea what "4CR" means. This is not mentioned in the Wired 2 Fish review or TW's description, so I'd like to know.

Other than the price being out of my range, and the line capacity being lower than I would currently consider for another potential reel purchase, the technology and design features are interesting. If I was still working, I'd find out about the 4CR and consider trying one, although I've been pretty much a Shimano guy for more than 2 decades. So, what is "4CR"? Maybe 4 ceramic ball bearings? You'd think they'd brag on that quite a bit...

If I could afford them, it would be my choice for a workhorse reel.

4. Member
    The CR bearings are the Corrosion Resistant bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Curious, I looked it up on TW. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa...page-CWSZ.html

I noticed there is a Wired 2 Fish review, if you didn't. While I take those with a grain of salt, it's maybe better than BBC, where you will get lovers vs. haters, like Ford vs. GM. One thing really puzzled me, and that is the bearings, which are listed as:
    (4CR+4BB) + 1RB
    I know what the 1RB means, and what the 4BB means, but no idea what "4CR" means. This is not mentioned in the Wired 2 Fish review or TW's description, so I'd like to know.

Other than the price being out of my range, and the line capacity being lower than I would currently consider for another potential reel purchase, the technology and design features are interesting. If I was still working, I'd find out about the 4CR and consider trying one, although I've been pretty much a Shimano guy for more than 2 decades. So, what is "4CR"? Maybe 4 ceramic ball bearings? You'd think they'd brag on that quite a bit...
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

I got one and it’s the best reel ever I brought

6. Member
    Probably amazing reel. But the tatula sv tw is so good for under 150 I'll never know about the zillion

7. Banned
    Fantastic reel. If you want to save a few pennies look at the Tatula Type-R. Nearly identical except for the carbon handle and air spool.

SV TW if you plan on throwing really light lures/cranks, Type-R for great for slightly heavier lures and jigs. Really either will work for either when properly setup.

I don’t like the t wing system on it. If they made one without the t wing but everything else was the same I would buy one.

9. Banned
    If whilst perusing the Daiwa™ You happen upon a T3 Ballistic™ in an 8-speed that too is a 'winner' and while in the 'LongCast' option I'd think it would be tough to beat in a distance contest..

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwat3ballistic.html

And another 'big plus' when dealing w/Daiwa™ is their "Service Center" is 'top notch' and they handle each Daiwa like it was their very own and pride themselves on quick, turn around. Their service and Lews™ is about the best..

10. Member
    I bought a zillion HD last month, I still haven't been able to use it. It feels like a very good reel, though.

11. Banned
    I have the JDM version of the Zillion SV TW 9.1:1 and the 7.1:1. I bought the 9:1 to 1 first. Wanted to see how it would handle topwaters. It did. Well. After several months I picked up the 7.1:1 version. Again, it did the job very well for squarebills.
    I was hesitant at first because I have the Daiwa J Dream Zillion, which set the bar very high. New Zillion may not hit the same bar as the J Dream but it comes close enough for me and I don't ever give slack.
    I don't get to fish as much as I like anymore so I don't dick around when I'm on the water.

In true BBC fashion, I'll agree with the advice to check out the Type R. Never checked out the Zillion and I'm sure it's a fantastic reel, but I like my Type Rs a lot more than my SV TW for everything except throwing the lightest baits. You can't touch them for the price. I can't imagine enough improvement being even theoretically possible to warrant paying 2 times or even more for another reel.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    I've got several zillions within last 2 years and have been very impressed.

14. Member
    I read the Zillion SV TW was hard to backlash so I thought it would be a good one for skipping under docks.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by champ1 View Post
    I read the Zillion SV TW was hard to backlash so I thought it would be a good one for skipping under docks.
    I would take a Type-R for skipping. The SV TW is great for throwing really light lures, 1.0 square bills, shadrap, casting weightless soft plastics. I don't think the braking would be very good for skipping.

Quote Originally Posted by champ1 View Post
    It's an excellent reel for skipping docks, much better in my hands than the Type R. The Zillion SV TW is a great all around reel in general. Daiwa has really produced some fantastic reels in recent years.

17. Member
    they are practically 7 ounces why wouldn't you go with a reel in the low to mid 5 ounce range? Steez or Lews Team lite magnesium. I go for the lightest reel possible these days. Why feel tired from slinging a heaver reel? it makes a difference in how i feel at end of day In terms of fatigue-plus I have a bad shoulder. just an opinion!

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I still have and use original Tats, Tat Type-Rs, Tat CTs, Tat SVs, SV105s, Zillion SV TWs, Steez SVs and Steez SV TWs.

All the Tats have been excellent reels for me and each iteration has been better than the last. The Zillion SV TWs are a definite step up in that they are lighter, smaller, tighter and have all sorts of spool options and gear options.

If you are new to skipping, the SV TW models will reduce the pain of becoming proficient considerably.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Love the Tatula SV, never used a Zillion SV. Read this: http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwatatulasvtwpg3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    I would take a Type-R for skipping. The SV TW is great for throwing really light lures, 1.0 square bills, shadrap, casting weightless soft plastics. I don't think the braking would be very good for skipping.

The SV reels are skipping machines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast